Cleaning Michelin Pro Race yellow side walls

Bernard Durand

Guest
My bike is equiped with Michelin Pro Race with yellow side walls. I was wondering what others uses
to clean them when the yellow walls gets darker with dirt from the road. I have a good idea what I
can use, but I fear the long term effect on the rubber.

Regards

Bernard Durand

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:27:52 GMT, Bernard Durand wrote:
>I was wondering what others uses to clean them when the yellow walls gets darker with dirt from
>the road.

I use a rainy training ride. It also works wonders on jerseys that have become too pale
from washing.

Originally posted by Bernard Durand
I take JTN, you never bother to clean your bike. Good for you, I clean mine.

I think everyone cleans their bikes, but most people concentrate on the moving parts and metal parts, so that the bike stays in good working order and doesn't rust. Anything else is a bit obsessive compulsive.

If I was to clean tyres, which I won't be doing, I'd use a liquid dishwashing detergent. Anything solvent based is going to attack the rubber.

I think this falls under the category of "why bother?" Go ride, don't worry about the sidewalls of
your tires, or the underside of your saddle, or...

Mike "Bernard Durand" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I take JTN, you never bother to clean your bike. Good for you, I clean mine.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bernard
>
> "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bernard Durand" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Michelin Pro Race with yellow side walls. clean them Bernard Durand
> > >

> > are you for real?

why clean it. i just buy a new one every year once the chain gets stretched out from wind resistance
while riding on top of my car.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:16:49 -0800, Mike S. wrote:
>I think this falls under the category of "why bother?" Go ride, don't =
worry
>about the sidewalls of your tires, or the underside of your saddle, =
or...

Actually, if we're going to be serious, I think it does matter sometimes. It's important to get to
the starting line very well-groomed because that's half of the race won. You will have super morale
and the others will be impressed. Of course this has to be backed up by results or else you will not
be taken seriously next time.

=46or cleaning the tyres, use some acetose (vinegar?) based cleaning
fluid on a cloth. Paint thinner works too, and a lot faster and brighter, but you'll have a layer of
rubber left on the cloth.

news:[email protected]... On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:16:49 -0800,
Mike S. wrote:
>I think this falls under the category of "why bother?" Go ride, don't
worry
>about the sidewalls of your tires, or the underside of your saddle, or...

Actually, if we're going to be serious, I think it does matter sometimes. It's important to get to
the starting line very well-groomed because that's half of the race won. You will have super morale
and the others will be impressed. Of course this has to be backed up by results or else you will not
be taken seriously next time.

I've run across several guys that are so obsessive about cleaning their bikes over the years that I
just HAVE to laugh at them. One guy actually told me (with a straight face, and in all seriousness)
"I don't understand why everyone has such a dirty bike. It only takes 20-25min per day to make sure
everything is clean."

I've ridden with another guy in the DC area that actually keeps a paper towel under his saddle for
times when he's sweating on the TT. Gotta wipe that off before it rusts my AL bike...

The nice thing about guys like these are that they're the best to buy things from. Their gear is
never worn out, barely used, not dirty, and usually pretty cheap 'cause they're getting ready to
upgrade to the newest/bestest widget.

Mike

For cleaning the tyres, use some acetose (vinegar?) based cleaning fluid on a cloth. Paint thinner
works too, and a lot faster and brighter, but you'll have a layer of rubber left on the cloth.

Yellow magic marker.

Mark VandenBerghe

Jacky's brother, "Bernard Durand" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I take JTN, you never bother to clean your bike. Good for you, I clean mine.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bernard "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bernard Durand" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Michelin Pro Race with yellow side walls. clean them Bernard Durand
> > >

> > are you for real?
> >

> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:16:49 -0800, Mike
> S. wrote:
> >I think this falls under the category of "why bother?" Go ride, don't
> worry
> >about the sidewalls of your tires, or the underside of your saddle, or...
>
> Actually, if we're going to be serious, I think it does matter sometimes. It's important to get to
> the starting line very well-groomed because that's half of the race won. You will have super
> morale and the others will be impressed. Of course this has to be backed up by results or else you
> will not be taken seriously next time.
>
> I've run across several guys that are so obsessive about cleaning their bikes over the years
> that I just HAVE to laugh at them. One guy actually told me (with a straight face, and in all
> seriousness) "I don't understand why everyone has such a dirty bike. It only takes 20-25min
> per day to
make
> sure everything is clean."
>
> I've ridden with another guy in the DC area that actually keeps a paper towel under his saddle for
> times when he's sweating on the TT. Gotta wipe that off before it rusts my AL bike...
>
> The nice thing about guys like these are that they're the best to buy
things
> from. Their gear is never worn out, barely used, not dirty, and usually pretty cheap 'cause
> they're getting ready to upgrade to the newest/bestest widget.

And I suppose I am one of them. I never keep a pair of speakers more then 6 months to a year at
most. Why do I do that? Because I can and I am therefore selling something that is almost new to
some else who is also looking to upgrade.

You know, I asked the question about cleaning my yellow wall on this newsgroup, and I got the exact
answer a good friend who told me, looking to good on a bike is not cool. Before the frame on my bike
got changed (crackling frame) I had a small scratch and I was bothered by it. She explained how a
new bike or a person that is attire too perfectly is not a good thing in the eyes of others!

Just like the world of high-end audio, there is always someone who is ready to **** on others, while
on the flip side, others are just glad to help another enthusiasm cyclist or be a future audiophile,
perfecting is hobby.

I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning cars or pass the vacuum inside
the house? That would not be cool.

Cheers

Bernard

"Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote

> I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning cars
or
> pass the vacuum inside the house?

You clean your car and vacuum your house? Sweet mother of Jesus, does the madness never end?

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote
> >
> > I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning
cars
> or
> > pass the vacuum inside the house?
>
> You clean your car and vacuum your house? Sweet mother of Jesus, does the madness never end?

Better yet, I manage to spin 6 days a week, do laundry and yet, I still run my business.

;-) It is all part of time management.

Looking at the great pictures on the website of http://www.kenpapai.com/racing/sf2001/ I really need
to out more often; which I plan to do this summer. Great pics

Regards

Bernard

"Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote in message news:7VXfa.4033$j5.19875@news...

> > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]... On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:16:49 -0800,
> > Mike S. wrote:
> > >I think this falls under the category of "why bother?" Go ride, don't
> > worry
> > >about the sidewalls of your tires, or the underside of your saddle,
or...

> > Actually, if we're going to be serious, I think it does matter sometimes. It's important to get
> > to the starting line very well-groomed because that's half of the race won. You will have super
> > morale and the others will be impressed. Of course this has to be backed up by results or else
> > you will not be taken seriously next time.
> >
> > I've run across several guys that are so obsessive about cleaning their bikes over the years
> > that I just HAVE to laugh at them. One guy
actually
> > told me (with a straight face, and in all seriousness) "I don't
understand
> > why everyone has such a dirty bike. It only takes 20-25min per day to
> make
> > sure everything is clean."
> >
> > I've ridden with another guy in the DC area that actually keeps a paper towel under his saddle
> > for times when he's sweating on the TT. Gotta
wipe
> > that off before it rusts my AL bike...
> >
> > The nice thing about guys like these are that they're the best to buy
> things
> > from. Their gear is never worn out, barely used, not dirty, and usually pretty cheap 'cause
> > they're getting ready to upgrade to the
newest/bestest
> > widget.
>
> And I suppose I am one of them. I never keep a pair of speakers more then
6
> months to a year at most. Why do I do that? Because I can and I am therefore selling something
> that is almost new to some else who is also looking to upgrade.
>

> You know, I asked the question about cleaning my yellow wall on this newsgroup, and I got the
> exact answer a good friend who told me, looking
> good on a bike is not cool. Before the frame on my bike got changed (crackling frame) I had a
> small scratch and I was bothered by it. She explained how a new bike or a person that is attire
> too perfectly is not a good thing in the eyes of others!
>

> Just like the world of high-end audio, there is always someone who is
ready
> to **** on others, while on the flip side, others are just glad to help another enthusiasm cyclist
> or be a future audiophile, perfecting is hobby.
>

> I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning cars
or
> pass the vacuum inside the house? That would not be cool.
>

> Cheers
>

> Bernard

Its not that I/we don't clean our bikes, its just that I/we realize that there are more important
things to clean than a sidewall of a tire. Keeping the frame and drivetrain clean is enough for me.
I consider cleaning tires to be over the top, so I don't do it.

If it is important to you, then by all means knock yourself out.

Mike

Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bernard Durand wrote:
> > I take JTN, you never bother to clean your bike. Good for you, I clean mine.
>

> I think everyone cleans their bikes, but most people concentrate on the moving parts and metal
> parts, so that the bike stays in good working order and doesn't rust. Anything else is a bit
> obsessive compulsive.
>
> If I was to clean tyres, which I won't be doing, I'd use a liquid dishwashing detergent. Anything
> solvent based is going to attack the rubber.

I've been following this thread at work, couldn't wait to get home and post! Jeez, there's some
blinkered people out there, can't you respect that people differ!

I ride approx. 300k per week all year round. I ride for pleasure and I race, I do not commute. After
every ride I clean down my bike. In the Summer that might mean a 10 second wipe with a dry cloth but
in the Winter it gets washed down after every ride. On a winter Sunday I might ride 150k, return
home, wash the bike with soapy water and scrub the tyres. The drivetrain gets cleaned in the process
too. When the bike is dry I give it a quick wipe with polish I use on my car. Once a month the chain
comes off, as does the cassette, all is cleaned thoroughly and lubed..I lube the brake pivots and
the cable at the same time.

I rode my bike hard, I ride my bike for many hours per week. My bike cost me £3000 (yes I'm in the
UK), and I'm going to look after it. Cycling is my only real hobby, I get pleasure out of cleaning
my bike, and riding a clean bike.

Is that really a problem?

--
Mark
____________________________

I must also confess, I clean my bike about once a week and while cleaning I wipe down my tires,
mainly to get the rims clean so braking doesn't become noisy.

But I grin at the people who don't clean their bikes and let about 5lbs. of grease,mud and anything
else hang on the bike. Willing to pay big bucks for the lightest components and frames and then lose
all of the weight savings in dirt.

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Bernard Durand wrote:
> > > I take JTN, you never bother to clean your bike. Good for you, I clean mine.
> >

> > I think everyone cleans their bikes, but most people concentrate on the moving parts and metal
> > parts, so that the bike stays in good working order and doesn't rust. Anything else is a bit
> > obsessive compulsive.
> >
> > If I was to clean tyres, which I won't be doing, I'd use a liquid dishwashing detergent.
> > Anything solvent based is going to attack the rubber.
> >

> > --
>

> I've been following this thread at work, couldn't wait to get home and
post!
> Jeez, there's some blinkered people out there, can't you respect that
people
> differ!
>
> I ride approx. 300k per week all year round. I ride for pleasure and I race, I do not commute.
> After every ride I clean down my bike. In the Summer that might mean a 10 second wipe with a dry
> cloth but in the Winter it gets washed down after every ride. On a winter Sunday I might ride
150k,
> return home, wash the bike with soapy water and scrub the tyres. The drivetrain gets cleaned in
> the process too. When the bike is dry I give
it
> a quick wipe with polish I use on my car. Once a month the chain comes off, as does the cassette,
> all is cleaned thoroughly and lubed..I lube the brake pivots and the cable at the same time.
>
> I rode my bike hard, I ride my bike for many hours per week. My bike cost me £3000 (yes I'm in the
> UK), and I'm going to look after it. Cycling is
my
> only real hobby, I get pleasure out of cleaning my bike, and riding a
clean
> bike.
>
> Is that really a problem?
>

> --
> Mark
> ____________________________
> Practice does not make perfect... Perfect practice makes perfect

Shultz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I must also confess, I clean my bike about once a week and while cleaning
> wipe down my tires, mainly to get the rims clean so braking doesn't become noisy.
>
> But I grin at the people who don't clean their bikes and let about 5lbs.
of
> grease,mud and anything else hang on the bike. Willing to pay big bucks
for
> the lightest components and frames and then lose all of the weight savings in dirt.

There are guys like that in my club...their bikes look a pile of shite. It's not a coincidence
either that their the ones who have all the silly mechanical problems such as bolts working loose
etc. A big advantage of regularly cleaning a bike is that you get to spot things that are wrong.

Still I suppose when you ride 10 miles a week, not a lot works loose eh!

--
Mark
____________________________

MSA, using the address of [email protected], felt it was necessary to post to
rec.bicycles.racing with the following words of wisdom:

> my only real hobby, I get pleasure out of cleaning my bike, and riding a clean bike.
>
> Is that really a problem?

No problem at all as far as I am concerned -- My wife and and I call it bike love, gotta spend a
little time giving the bike some love, that's how she/he develops the soul..... All bikes are good,
but a good bike with a soul..... well, that's a great bike!

Les

> --
> Mark
> ____________________________
> Practice does not make perfect... Perfect practice makes perfect

--
remove the "x" if you feel that you must reply to me personally.

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I ride approx. 300k per week all year round. I ride for pleasure and I race, I do not commute.
> After every ride I clean down my bike. In the Summer that might mean a 10 second wipe with a dry
> cloth but in the Winter it gets washed down after every ride. On a winter Sunday I might ride
150k,
> return home, wash the bike with soapy water and scrub the tyres. The drivetrain gets cleaned in
> the process too. When the bike is dry I give
it
> a quick wipe with polish I use on my car. Once a month the chain comes off, as does the cassette,
> all is cleaned thoroughly and lubed..I lube the brake pivots and the cable at the same time.

I'm one of the "non-bike cleaning-if-I-can-avoid-it" people, but I do manage to spend some time
cleaning all the **** off it once a week (unless raining - then it's a bit more frequent). I don't
like cleaning it because it takes away valuable riding time :) Those 30 minutes equate to at least
15 km, and if I'm going to win the Tour one day I'm going to need all the kilometres I can get.

Parts do wear out more quickly due to lack of cleaning, but that's what product testing is for,
right? ;-) I do try and take care of the chain/cluster/derailleurs though. I clean the frame too
sometimes, but that hasn't stopped me breaking five or six frames over the course of 14 years.

As for tyres, I try not to buy light coloured ones, partly for the same reason that I avoid light
coloured knicks, which don't even look good on pro's, but that's another topic...

Now, I wonder why my rear brake has seized?

cheers, Jeff