Cleats for old pedals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs), and
    was wondering: were these meant to be used with some kind of cleats? Been searching the web for
    info, but can't find much out there.

    Thanks,

    -Jeff

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in news:5DiSb.107$rK6.13
    @fe02.usenetserver.com:
    > Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs), and
    > was wondering: were these meant to be used with some kind of cleats?

    Old-style platform road racing pedals with toe clips were designed to be used with slotted cleats.
    The slots hooked onto the back edge of the pedal. The cleats were usually provided by shoe
    companies, not pedal companies.

    I assume this is the kind of pedal you have. I'm not familiar with Shimano model numbers.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs), and
    > was wondering: were these meant to be used
    with
    > some kind of cleats? Been searching the web for info, but can't find much out there.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Jeff

    Yup, they sure were designed to be used with cleats. PD-64s if I'm not mistaken.

    They're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match. Try www.businesscycles.com for a ready supply. Be
    ready to spend some BIG DOLLARS on these babies. If you hang out with track racers, you may be able
    to come across a few pair for a little less. I'd try searching thru your older LBS's stock rooms.
    They may have some and not know what they're worth.

    The good news is that they fit the 3-bolt Look pattern.

    Good luck ('cause you CANNOT have my pair.)

    Mike

  4. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Mike S. wrote:

    > They're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match. Try www.businesscycles.com for a ready supply. Be
    > ready to spend some BIG DOLLARS on these babies. If you hang out with track racers, you may be
    > able to come across a few pair for a little less. I'd try searching thru your older LBS's stock
    > rooms. They may have some and not know what they're worth.
    >
    > The good news is that they fit the 3-bolt Look pattern.
    >
    > Good luck ('cause you CANNOT have my pair.)
    >
    > Mike

    I actually made some once by hand out of 6mm Aluminium

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike S. wrote:
    >
    > > They're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match. Try www.businesscycles.com for a ready supply.
    > > Be ready to spend some BIG DOLLARS on these babies. If you hang out with track racers, you may
    > > be able to come across a few pair for a little less. I'd try searching thru your older LBS's
    > > stock rooms. They may have some and not know what they're worth.
    > >
    > > The good news is that they fit the 3-bolt Look pattern.
    > >
    > > Good luck ('cause you CANNOT have my pair.)
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > I actually made some once by hand out of 6mm Aluminium

    There's an Aussie company doing the same thing, but I hear that they're going for even larger $$
    than the PD-64 cleats...

    Mike

  6. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    "Vetera semper in laude, presentia in fastidio." - Tacitus
    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:43:39 -0700, "Jeff" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs), and
    >was wondering: were these meant to be used with some kind of cleats? Been searching the web for
    >info, but can't find much out there.

    Your pedals will work with any slotted cleat. There was an Ultegra version of your pedals that
    included a special cleat (Shimano part # PD-64). The PD-64 cleat subsequently became (and remains)
    quite popular among track riders.

    See http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm for more information.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida http://www.businesscycles.com Now in our twenty-first
    year. Our catalog of track equipment: eighth year online
    -------------------------------

  7. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs), and
    >>was wondering: were these meant to be used
    > with some kind of cleats? Been searching the web for info, but can't find much
    >>out there.
    >
    > Yup, they sure were designed to be used with cleats. PD-64s if I'm not mistaken.
    >
    > They're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match. Try www.businesscycles.com for a ready supply.

    Now I'm confused. I found a picture of these pedals at http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm .
    The super-duper cleats are further down the page.

    Don't these pedals work with the classic, generic slotted cleats from the pre-Look days? I had a few
    pairs of the same-period same-style Shimano 600's, and they worked fine with my slotted cleats of
    the era. Do the $50 cleats really work that much better, or could the O.P. save a bunch here?

    Mark Janeba

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Mark Janeba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > Mike S. wrote:
    > > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs),
    > >>and was wondering: were these meant to be used
    > > with some kind of cleats? Been searching the web for info, but can't
    find much
    > >>out there.
    > >
    > > Yup, they sure were designed to be used with cleats. PD-64s if I'm not mistaken.
    > >
    > > They're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match. Try
    www.businesscycles.com
    > > for a ready supply.
    >
    > Now I'm confused. I found a picture of these pedals at http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
    > . The super-duper cleats are further down the page.
    >
    > Don't these pedals work with the classic, generic slotted cleats from the pre-Look days? I had a
    > few pairs of the same-period same-style Shimano 600's, and they worked fine with my slotted cleats
    > of the era. Do the $50 cleats really work that much better, or could the O.P. save a bunch here?
    >
    > Mark Janeba

    While any old slotted cleat will work, the advantage of the PD-64s is that
    1. they fit all the 3-bolt Look shoes and 2. there's a pair of little tabs at the front of the cleat
    that slide under some tabs on the pedal. This makes your foot even more secure in the pedal.

    If you have a pair of old shoes with the two-bolt pattern you CAN save boatloads of money by going
    the old-fashioned route. If you don't have the old-fashioned shoes, guess what...

    Mike

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > I actually made some once by hand out of 6mm Aluminium

    Cleats are readily available for traditional pedals with Look shoes:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html

    It's the two-piece cleat with a front part that engages Shimano's proprietary cleat-under-toeclip
    design that's rare.

  10. Luns Tee

    Luns Tee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-A550 platform "aero" pedals (those triangle-shaped jobs), and
    >> was wondering: were these meant to be used
    >with
    >> some kind of cleats? Been searching the web for info, but can't find much out there.

    >Yup, they sure were designed to be used with cleats. PD-64s if I'm not mistaken.

    Almost, but no - the PD-64s went with the Dura-Ace and Ultegra pedals of the time, which had
    steel (or optionally alloy) toe clips, which were clamped to the pedal body with a metal
    spacer. This spacer had two edges that were folded up to act like the front part of a pedal
    cage, and these vertical sections extended back to engage the PD-64.

    The A550, if I'm not mistaken was the 105 pedal, which had nylon toe clips that were clamped
    in place with a flat metal triangle (without the folded edges). The pedal body itself also
    had a recess machined into it to accomodate the thickness of the nylon. I'm pretty sure the
    nylon clip interferes with where the PD-64 is supposed to engage the spacer.

    -Luns