Cold setting rear triangle (continued)

Thanks all for the great instructions on spreading the rear traiangle
on my old Raleigh Competition...Now, assuming I can get 130 -132 mm
spacing, I'd like to go with an Ultegra
tripple crankset / Ultegra 9/10 speed cog or perhaps Campy Centaur
components (same specification) I'm not sure the Raleigh bottom
bracket shell would accept the Campy stuff. Then there is the chain
line issue...I aint even thinking about the brakes/shifters yet!

On that level of frame, BSC size and threading has not changed in a LONG
time! (My triple and 9-spd conversion is a 1971 Raleigh Pro.)

The only issues you are likely to encounter involve cable routing.
Loose Screws had a Shimano clamp to which I could bolt my down tube
cable holders (the only braze-ons on that frame were a bump on the
downtube to keep the shifter band from slipping and an eye on the chain
stay). You will need to decide whether or not to run the cables under
or over the BB shell. I can't find a cable ferule that will fit over
modern housing AND go into that stay eyelet. I've rigged up something -
it's ugly, but it works.

[email protected] wrote:
> Thanks all for the great instructions on spreading the rear traiangle
> on my old Raleigh Competition...Now, assuming I can get 130 -132 mm
> spacing, I'd like to go with an Ultegra
> tripple crankset / Ultegra 9/10 speed cog or perhaps Campy Centaur
> components (same specification) I'm not sure the Raleigh bottom
> bracket shell would accept the Campy stuff. Then there is the chain
> line issue...I aint even thinking about the brakes/shifters yet!

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 06:33:29 -0500, richard <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I can't find a cable ferule that will fit over
>modern housing AND go into that stay eyelet. I've rigged up something -
>it's ugly, but it works.

Why do you need a ferrule? Just strip back a little of the plastic ,
grind flat and countersink the end, and let the metal sit inside the
stay eyelet (I know, heresy!)

On Jul 20, 4:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Thanks all for the great instructions on spreading the rear traiangle
> on my old Raleigh Competition...Now, assuming I can get 130 -132 mm
> spacing, I'd like to go with an Ultegra
> tripple crankset / Ultegra 9/10 speed cog or perhaps Campy Centaur
> components (same specification) I'm not sure the Raleigh bottom
> bracket shell would accept the Campy stuff. Then there is the chain
> line issue...I aint even thinking about the brakes/shifters yet!

That frame can use any modern Campagnolo or shiman o crank/BB, double,
triple, compact..no problem. The chainline will be fine.

On Jul 21, 4:33 am, richard <[email protected]> wrote:
> On that level of frame, BSC size and threading has not changed in a LONG
> time! (My triple and 9-spd conversion is a 1971 Raleigh Pro.)
>
> The only issues you are likely to encounter involve cable routing.
> Loose Screws had a Shimano clamp to which I could bolt my down tube
> cable holders (the only braze-ons on that frame were a bump on the
> downtube to keep the shifter band from slipping and an eye on the chain
> stay). You will need to decide whether or not to run the cables under
> or over the BB shell. I can't find a cable ferule that will fit over
> modern housing AND go into that stay eyelet. I've rigged up something -
> it's ugly, but it works.

"50%" step ferrule..the way all RD cable stops used to be. See decent
bike shop.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> "50%" step ferrule..the way all RD cable stops used to be. See decent
> bike shop.

A.K.A. Campagnolo #621 ferrule; yes, any competent LBS
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org