Cold setting (spreading) rear triangle on steel bike

Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

In article
<[email protected]>
,
[email protected] wrote:

> Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
> 531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
> 9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

Here is a complete description.
<http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html>

Thanks for putting the subject in the message body.

--
Michael Press

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:56:53 -0700, Michael Press <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
>> 531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
>> 9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

>Here is a complete description.
><http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html>

Careful with that big a stretch. If it does not do a smooth bend
throughout the stay, you can get a short radius bend at the brake
bridge or just behind the BB lug and ruin the frame.

still me wrote:

> Careful with that big a stretch. If it does not do a smooth bend
> throughout the stay, you can get a short radius bend at the brake
> bridge or just behind the BB lug and ruin the frame.

Huh? It's a 4mm spread, not much at all. Now 120 to 135 is a bit much
but not 126 to 130. And-here comes the flame war-check the dropouts to
make sure they're parallel. That might require a trip to a well
equipped bike shop.
Phil Brown

On Jul 18, 3:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
> 531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
> 9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

If your current spacing is 126mm (and it probably is), just slide the
130mm wheel in the frame and go ride - no cold setting needed.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jul 18, 3:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
>> 531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
>> 9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

> If your current spacing is 126mm (and it probably is), just slide the
> 130mm wheel in the frame and go ride - no cold setting needed.

Everybody keeps saying this but when I did just that after I clamped my
QR the hub would bind.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Jul 25, 1:06 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Jul 18, 3:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
> >> 531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
> >> 9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

> > If your current spacing is 126mm (and it probably is), just slide the
> > 130mm wheel in the frame and go ride - no cold setting needed.

> Everybody keeps saying this but when I did just that after I clamped my
> QR the hub would bind.

"Everybody keeps saying this" because it's common practice and it
works in most cases (this was Shimano's recommendation in the early
days of 8sp/130mm hubs when most frames were 126mm).

Perhaps the bearing adjustment was too tight? Did you try more than
one hub? Or perhaps there was gross dropout misalignment? Did you try
more than one frame?

On Jul 25, 1:06 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Jul 18, 3:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Title says it all...How do I cold set the rear spacing on a Reynolds
> >> 531 road frame with original Shimano 600 6-speed cog so that it fits a
> >> 9-speed Shimano Ultegra cog?

> > If your current spacing is 126mm (and it probably is), just slide the
> > 130mm wheel in the frame and go ride - no cold setting needed.

> Everybody keeps saying this but when I did just that after I clamped my
> QR the hub would bind.

One more thing, was the skewer long enough for a 130mm hub?

G.T. wrote:
> Everybody keeps saying this but when I did just that after I clamped my
> QR the hub would bind.

Bent/broken axle, non parallel ends or just plain too tight a hub
adjustment.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jul 25, 1:06 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> If your current spacing is 126mm (and it probably is), just slide the
>>> 130mm wheel in the frame and go ride - no cold setting needed.

>> Everybody keeps saying this but when I did just that after I clamped my
>> QR the hub would bind.
>>

> "Everybody keeps saying this" because it's common practice and it
> works in most cases (this was Shimano's recommendation in the early
> days of 8sp/130mm hubs when most frames were 126mm).
>
> Perhaps the bearing adjustment was too tight? Did you try more than
> one hub? Or perhaps there was gross dropout misalignment? Did you try
> more than one frame?

It was a long time ago. The hub had a slight amount of play out of the
dropouts. The shop I eventually used to get the stays spread and
dropouts aligned didn't pop another wheel in. They were cheap enough
that I just told them to do it. Don't know if the dropouts were grossly
misaligned or not, my 126mm hubs worked fine.

Greg

--

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jul 25, 1:06 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> If your current spacing is 126mm (and it probably is), just slide the
>>> 130mm wheel in the frame and go ride - no cold setting needed.

>> Everybody keeps saying this but when I did just that after I clamped my
>> QR the hub would bind.
>>

> One more thing, was the skewer long enough for a 130mm hub?

Definitely.

Greg