Compatability FAQ

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rodger, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Rodger

    Rodger Guest

    Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
    success. Thanks.

    Rodger

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Rodger" <[email protected]rarebookstudio.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
    > success. Thanks.

    One beautiful aspect of our industry is that creative minds from all over the world are continually
    innovating. The greater bulk is of course crap like in anything else but that's were improvement is
    winnowed from. Those who pine for a "simpler age" forget that these problems have always been with
    us. The things we deal with change but the new parts don't work together any better than the old
    parts did!

    So, the short answer is "nowhere".

    The internet has given us resources from, for example Mr Brown's yeomanlike and exhaustive pages
    through manufacturer's (uneven quality) websites to specialty sites like John Dacey's track
    reference. And this group is generally the best resource you have for those sorts of questions when
    your own searches are fruitless.

    (your "various componentry compatability issues" could span anythng from STi shifters with Shimano
    MTB front changers to chain adjusters for 14mm freestyle hub axles - an impossibly broad mission!)

  3. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
    > success. Thanks.
    >
    > Rodger

    There are enough variables that a complete listing would be googolish in size.

    Ask a specific question, and you will probably get some reliable information here.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Not a FAQ, but here's a particular item that may be useful, from HubBub Custom Bicycles in Ohio
    (www.hubbub.com)

    I am building two bikes, swapping parts and I recently found this: Campagnolo Ergopower with Shimano
    9-Speed http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

    "Rodger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
    > success. Thanks.
    >
    > Rodger

  5. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    The Campy 3x10 rear deraillleurs, 2002 Record Long and 2003 Centaur Long have longer cages than the
    XT derailleur used in the hubbub fix. You start with 9sp levers not 10 and can shift Shimano
    cassettes like the 12/34.