Component identification (Alex, shimano alivio, hutchison)

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
Hi,

I've gone and bought myself a Shimano 105 equipped bike, but there are some odd components I've never seen before -

Alex Rims
Shimano Alivio rear deraileur
Hutchison tyres

Are they any good? If anyone has background info or personal experiences about these components, I'd love to hear.

Thanks.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Hi,

I've gone and bought myself a Shimano 105 equipped bike, but there are some odd components I've never seen before -

Alex Rims
Shimano Alivio rear deraileur
Hutchison tyres

Are they any good? If anyone has background info or personal experiences about these components, I'd love to hear.

Thanks.

Alex- Made in Taiwan (I think), Decent quality seen as OEM equipment on low to mid range bikes.
Alivio- entry level MTB rear derailleur--it would be odd to see on an otherwise 105 equipped road bike, but will work fine with 105 shifters. (does your bike have a triple crank?)
Hutchinson tires--reputable maker of road and MTB tires. Used by Discovery Channel team.

Alex rims are pretty good. It depends which ones you have though, like all companies, there are the cheaper low end models, and then the high end models. Alex rims are known for their really well made dm24 and dx32 rims for trials riding. And since trials riding is the most punishing type or mountain biking (or lets just say the most punishing thing other than bmx), those rims hold up well and look very nice. They also make some nice light downhill rims - Supra D, and Supra BH. So generally alex rims are a company that could be trusted, and are pretty cheap.
Alivio kind of sucks, and it really is weird seeing that derailleur on an otherwise 105 equipped bike.

Lastly are the hutchison tires. Nothing special really. The discovery team uses their tubular "high end" version. Also they aren't really too popular with mountain bikers.

Imo, kenda makes the best mountain bike tires so far, and michelin makes some hot road tires!! But that is my opinion.