Congrats to Hippy

"paul" <[email protected]
> I just read that. Wow, they are averaging 43kph (is that right?)

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
puts me at about 408W (that sounds too high) and
the winner at ~550W assuming he weighed 80kg at
180cm.
But, change my bike to a tri bike and it adds 7kph
onto average speed and takes 4min off my time..
thereby making me the TT winner ;-)
Actually, redo it with me on the drops for the whole
thing and I make ~325W, which sounds more
accurate. If I swap to the tri bike from there I only
get a 2m:30s/4kph advantage, putting me in about
4th place.

I could mess with this site all day.. :)

hippy

Interesting page.

I'm not even cracking 200kw from my ride to work :(

hippy wrote:
> "paul" <[email protected]
>> I just read that. Wow, they are averaging 43kph (is that right?)

> http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
> puts me at about 408W (that sounds too high) and
> the winner at ~550W assuming he weighed 80kg at
> 180cm.
> But, change my bike to a tri bike and it adds 7kph
> onto average speed and takes 4min off my time..
> thereby making me the TT winner ;-)
> Actually, redo it with me on the drops for the whole
> thing and I make ~325W, which sounds more
> accurate. If I swap to the tri bike from there I only
> get a 2m:30s/4kph advantage, putting me in about
> 4th place.
>
> I could mess with this site all day.. :)
>
> hippy

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 at 10:35 GMT, paul (aka Bruce)
> Interesting page.
>
> I'm not even cracking 200kw from my ride to work :(

kw? That's a decent sized car engine, isn't it? Impressive! :)

I barely get 200w, but I don't know that I accurately described my
bike, my height, nor my weight :) I don't even know what you call
those tires. Wide touring bike? No idea. Certainly not slicks.

Speed is 21km/h averaged over 30min[1], and I don't know slope. I
guess height above sea level when it is only a few hundred m doesn't
have any effect.

Anyway, I'm waiting for us to come up with a portable fusion reactor
that pumps out 200w on the input of a grain of sand. Then I don't have
to pedal at all :)

[1] This morning, now that I have bar ends, and toe clips, etc, I
decided to actually push as fast as I would be comfortable for any
length of time -- only for 10 mins or so, but I felt a noticable
increase in average velocity. Maybe if I keep doing this, I might get
fit... Got to remember 1) cadence, 2), 1/3rd weight distribution. Of
course, I'll not even come close to a factor of 3 of you l33t bastards
:)

Just because they are called 'forbidden' transitions does not mean
that they are forbidden. They are less allowed than allowed
transitions, if you see what I mean. --unk

> hippy wrote:
> > "paul" <[email protected]
> >> I just read that. Wow, they are averaging 43kph (is that right?)

> > http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
> > puts me at about 408W (that sounds too high) and
> > the winner at ~550W assuming he weighed 80kg at
> > 180cm.

"paul" <[email protected]
> Interesting page.
> I'm not even cracking 200kw from my ride to work :(

Are you cracking a sweat?

Nah, it depends how much you ride and how fast
you ride. I've been racing (many will say badly) for
a couple of years and I'm a lowly C-grader (no
offence fellow C-graders, but really, I think there's
plenty more "up" from here..).
I think I often ride damn hard as I can but probably
not for as long as I can (sprinter genes :) ). Until
recently I had no structure. Now I follow a training
plan and it seems to be working.
Basically the more pain you put yourself through,
the faster you will get - remembering, of course, the
need for recovery. Tough balance. I used to totally
wear myself out to the point where I would take a
week off because I was sick of the bike.. this hasn't
happened with the new regime.. yet.

hippy

"TimC" <[email protected]
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 at 10:35 GMT, paul (aka Bruce)
> > I'm not even cracking 200kw from my ride to work :(

> kw? That's a decent sized car engine, isn't it? Impressive! :)

I didn't even notice.. you wont be sending satellites
crashing into earth any time soon will ya? :)

> [1] This morning, now that I have bar ends, and toe clips, etc, I
> decided to actually push as fast as I would be comfortable for any
> length of time -- only for 10 mins or so, but I felt a noticable

Hmm.. "comfortable" certainly hasn't been a factor in
most of my riding for some time now :)

> increase in average velocity. Maybe if I keep doing this, I might get
> fit... Got to remember 1) cadence, 2), 1/3rd weight distribution. Of
> course, I'll not even come close to a factor of 3 of you l33t bastards

What's the 1/3rd weight distribution thing?

hippy

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 at 13:50 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> "TimC" <[email protected]
>> [1] This morning, now that I have bar ends, and toe clips, etc, I
>> decided to actually push as fast as I would be comfortable for any
>> length of time -- only for 10 mins or so, but I felt a noticable

> Hmm.. "comfortable" certainly hasn't been a factor in
> most of my riding for some time now :)

Yeah, but I've never enjoyed most excercise (can't stand jogging - how
do people put up with the knee pain (I've heard of people who *bleed*
when they run - as in, cough up blood)?), and I only do things I
enjoy.

I'd never cycle if I needed to go past my comfort threshold.

>> increase in average velocity. Maybe if I keep doing this, I might get
>> fit... Got to remember 1) cadence, 2), 1/3rd weight distribution. Of
>> course, I'll not even come close to a factor of 3 of you l33t bastards

> What's the 1/3rd weight distribution thing?

Feet, ****, hands. You don't follow that "rule"?

Press any key to continue, any other key to abort
-- thrillbert's code

"TimC" <[email protected]
> Yeah, but I've never enjoyed most excercise (can't stand jogging - how
> do people put up with the knee pain (I've heard of people who *bleed*
> when they run - as in, cough up blood)?), and I only do things I
> enjoy.

Yeah.. I can relate to the bleeding.. I wasn't
coughing it up though.

> I'd never cycle if I needed to go past my comfort threshold.

That's what's cool about riding. Almost anyone can
do it and they can do it their own way. Personally, I have
great respect for the long distance riders. I don't have
the self control to maintain a pace necessary to finish
those massive rides. Lung searing, muscle tearing speed
fests are one thing but grinding your legs (and butt!!!) to
a pulp over multiple days is a whole other world of pain
that I'm avoiding for now.

> >> increase in average velocity. Maybe if I keep doing this, I might get
> >> fit... Got to remember 1) cadence, 2), 1/3rd weight distribution. Of
> >> course, I'll not even come close to a factor of 3 of you l33t bastards

> > What's the 1/3rd weight distribution thing?

> Feet, ****, hands. You don't follow that "rule"?

Oh, um.. not really. That one slipped by me :)
I wouldn't have a clue what my weight distribution
is. 60% ****, 20% arms, 20% feet? Nah, no idea..

hippy

hippy said:
"Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Congratulations Hippy!
> We'll expect similar results from the Hip led "Miscellaneous Miscreants".

hehehe.. wishful thinking mate! wishful thinking..
my big, bad legs turn into dead weights when I
have to make them go 'up'. The hipsta doesn't
travel too well over dirt either. Hopefully the
others will carry me.. right bici-soiler? right? :)

hippy

Carry you?!

I though you'd be carrying me. Wot with winning on the road 'n all. You gotta use that power of yours to get over the dirt faster.

I gotta get fitter, somehow B4 the Kona.

You up for some laps at Lysterfeild?

"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]
> hippy Wrote:
> > hehehe.. wishful thinking mate! wishful thinking..
> > my big, bad legs turn into dead weights when I
> > have to make them go 'up'. The hipsta doesn't
> > travel too well over dirt either. Hopefully the
> > others will carry me.. right bici-soiler? right? :)

> Carry you?!

Not literally.. I'm not that cruel! ;-)

> I though you'd be carrying me. Wot with winning on the road 'n all.
> You gotta use that power of yours to get over the dirt faster.

If the course was a straight drag race, sure.. but it's
all the twisties and stuff that slow me down. I think I
might wear the HRM this year - it might stop me killing
myself on the first lap, leaving some for later..

> I gotta get fitter, somehow B4 the Kona.

You got the techy skills to make time up on me though.

> You up for some laps at Lysterfeild?

Yeah, I could be into that. I think the single test lap of
the dirt crits last week is the most mtb'ing I've done
since the last Kona :-S

I'm gonna need a pre-race beer just to stop me flippin'
out when I see dirt..

hippy

"hippy" wrote in message ...
<snip>
> I'm gonna need a pre-race beer just to stop me flippin'
> out when I see dirt..
>
> hippy

Pre-race beer - sounds like you should be riding a SS.

Parbs

> > hippy wrote:
> > > "paul" <[email protected]
> > >
> > > http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
> > > puts me at about 408W (that sounds too high) and
> > > the winner at ~550W assuming he weighed 80kg at
> > > 180cm.

> "paul" <[email protected]
> > Interesting page.
> > I'm not even cracking 200kw from my ride to work :(

> Are you cracking a sweat?
>
> Nah, it depends how much you ride and how fast
> you ride. I've been racing (many will say badly) for
> a couple of years and I'm a lowly C-grader (no
> offence fellow C-graders, but really, I think there's
> plenty more "up" from here..).
> I think I often ride damn hard as I can but probably
> not for as long as I can (sprinter genes :) ). Until
> recently I had no structure. Now I follow a training
> plan and it seems to be working.
> Basically the more pain you put yourself through,
> the faster you will get - remembering, of course, the
> need for recovery. Tough balance. I used to totally
> wear myself out to the point where I would take a
> week off because I was sick of the bike.. this hasn't
> happened with the new regime.. yet.
>
> hippy

I just sent off my CA membership today so hopefully I will have a race
licence in a week or so. I assume that when I rock up to my first club race
I will be put into D grade??

Hypothetical.......if I find that the D grade pace is manageable and I am
still with the lead bunch on the final lap, should I go for the win or am I
better off taking it easy for a few races to get the feel of things and then
going for it in a later race?? If I do manage to finish towards the front
of the race will the handicapper push me up a grade straight away?

I am not saying that I am going to find the pace easy (I can only hope), I
just don't want to be judged as having "poor form". I know from playing
club golf that there are always "burglars" who perform poorly for some time
to get a higher handicap before then giving it their all in whatever event
they decide that they want to "win". Does this happen in crit racing?

I am really looking forward to having a go at a crit.....I might even have
to start doing intervals on the way to work.....hehehe.

Ride On,

Gags

"Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "hippy" wrote in message ...
> <snip>
> > I'm gonna need a pre-race beer just to stop me flippin'
> > out when I see dirt..
> >
> > hippy

> Pre-race beer - sounds like you should be riding a SS.

I think I'm gonna spew now.. I can't believe I['m online
now.. what a nerd.. .no wonder she went home with the'
enemy! :p

I'd prefer an ss..

drunk hippy

"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hypothetical.......if I find that the D grade pace is manageable and I am
> still with the lead bunch on the final lap, should I go for the win or am

> better off taking it easy for a few races to get the feel of things and

then
> going for it in a later race?? If I do manage to finish towards the front
> of the race will the handicapper push me up a grade straight away?

You should wax 'em.. go fopr the win. If you don't feel confident, sook
to the grading dudes/dudettes and they should let you win a couple
before you go up. Not much point though.

> I am not saying that I am going to find the pace easy (I can only hope), I
> just don't want to be judged as having "poor form". I know from playing
> club golf that there are always "burglars" who perform poorly for some

time
> to get a higher handicap before then giving it their all in whatever event
> they decide that they want to "win". Does this happen in crit racing?

Yes. Sandbagging riders.. suck. I can't believe I got killed so often
last season just because a bunch of B graders never went up.. fskcers!

> I am really looking forward to having a go at a crit.....I might even have
> to start doing intervals on the way to work.....hehehe.

Not really the sort of thing that can be done 'properly' on the commute..

hippy

Gags said:
[...]

Well done on getting your racing licence! You don't have to start in D-grade, if it is a club race, you just choose your own grade. If you think you're good enough, try C or even B. However, you might prefer to flog the D-graders rather than get left behind in B.

If you find that you're too strong for D-grade, you might as well finish it off and win. Next time, go straight up to C... nobody likes a sandbagger. It won't take too many weeks to find your level of incompetence (mine is B).

Reminds me... should I go racing this afternoon?

Ritch