CPSC judgement on disk brakes and QR forks

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You would win that bet. I've never bought a disk brake equipped bike because it's a silly design
> that solves one problem: braking in deep mud.

With this cogent observation, we now know that your lack of credibility is exceeded only by your
insufferable arrogance.

Dude, why don't you just crawl back into your cave and stop embarassing yourself? You just can't
seem to open your big mouth without swallowing your shoe whole, can you?

Joe Riel said...

> Have you tried it? On the two forks I have with laywer lips there is enough slop to move the quick
> release down so that it is not contacting the top of the drop out.
>
> Joe Riel

OK, there is maybe 1mm to work with here. But I don't have a suspension fork equipped with rim
brakes, so I can't attempt it. I'll just concede that if you tighten the QR nicely, the wheel
probably won't slide back up the dropout. But perhaps I can pass on information that is even better.
My Fox fork is about 3 months old. In that time I have put about 1500 mixed road and off-road miles
on it. It has been equipped with 3 different hubs and skewers from Shimano, Bontrager and about a
month ago I switched to Hope hubs and Nashbar non-QR skewers to deter theft and I haven't touched it
since. I have had about a half dozen crashes in those 3 months, at least 2 of which were brake
locking endos. On one off-road ride I hammered the bike enough to break the frame. I can see by
looking at the fresh paint on the dropouts that none of the skewers have ever been moving around in
the dropouts, not up or down. Not that the lawyer lips give it much room to move, but I should see
some scraped up paint if this supposed design flaw was showing itself on my bike in real world
conditions.

Super Slinky <[email protected]> writes:

> OK, there is maybe 1mm to work with here. But I don't have a suspension fork equipped with rim
> brakes, so I can't attempt it. I'll just concede that if you tighten the QR nicely, the wheel
> probably won't slide back up the dropout. But perhaps I can pass on information that is even
> better. My Fox fork is about 3 months old. In that time I have put about 1500 mixed road and
> off-road miles on it. It has been equipped with 3 different hubs and skewers from Shimano,
> Bontrager and about a month ago I switched to Hope hubs and Nashbar non-QR skewers to deter theft
> and I haven't touched it since. I have had about a half dozen crashes in those 3 months, at least
> 2 of which were brake locking endos. On one off-road ride I hammered the bike enough to break the
> frame. I can see by looking at the fresh paint on the dropouts that none of the skewers have ever
> been moving around in the dropouts, not up or down. Not that the lawyer lips give it much room to
> move, but I should see some scraped up paint if this supposed design flaw was showing itself on my
> bike in real world conditions.

Thanks for checking. It's a useful observation. Has anyone observed anything that indicates the
skewer has slipped [I'm asking in general]?

What really needs to be done to settle this is for a bike/fork company to build a test rig that
stresses this and see what it takes to induce a failure. This is standard engineering practice. I
don't know whether it is standard practice for bike manufacturers, I suspect not.

Fred Long published pullout data for a clamped quick release (no lawyer lips) in "Cycling Science",
March 91. The data for four common levers (brands not identified) varied from 400 lbs to 2000lbs.

Joe Riel

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> As for you, please supply the name, date and place for *any* cyclist who has been severly injured,
> paralyzed or killed due to your pet problem. Bet you can't find one.

www.russ-appeal.org.uk is perhaps the most well-known, and provided much of the motivation for
my research.

I've heard of about 20 cases of actual wheel loss, roughly half of which have resulted in overnight
(or longer) hospital stays - in the cash-strapped UK National Health Service, this is something that
is far from routine and indicates that there were severe head and neck injuries.

If you include the skewer unscrewing in your definition of 'problem' (and I think any sensible
cyclist would do so) then there have been many many more failures than this, and several people have
demonstrated that they can reproduce the phenomenon at will.

> As other posters have noted, the alleged "fact" that discs make QR's fail and cause front wheel
> ejection has not been observed in practice to any noticeable extent (you only hear of it on
> rec.bicycles.tech; not alt.mountain-bike; not the bike mags; not the newspapers; not in the trial
> lawyers' newsletter; not among people who ride or race mountain bikes, etc.)

Articles have appeared on www.bikemagic.com, www.velovision.com and in the (paper) magazine of the
CTC, the UK's biggest cyclists' organisation. All those journalists are in fact qualified engineers
who have seen the evidence and agree there is a real problem. It's also been extensively discussed
on the forum at www.singletrackworld.com by 'people who ride or race mountain bikes', where many of
the failure reports can also be found.

Of course, if you were genuinely interested in investigating the problem, rather than denying it,
you wouldn't have made your silly comments. Just about everything that I have mentioned here is
already published on my web site, and has been for several months now. I'm not really sure why I
bothered typing it in again.

James

Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Has anyone observed anything that indicates the skewer has slipped [I'm asking in general]?

Many have reported it, including Ernst Brust of Velotech.de on his fork testing rig.

James

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> It is not up to me, some geek on usenet, to define "significant;" it is up to the manufacturers
> who sell the equipment and who will pay the damages if they are found liable for a defective
> product. To them, it is simple cost-benefit analysis: "significant" is the point at which it would
> cost more to leave the product as it is, than recall it and change the design.

That may be the way you think things should (or do) work, but it's not what the law says.

James

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> (Spider) wrote:
>
> > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Annan's hypothesis withstands such questions.
> >
> > Actually, it doesn't. It may fall on the basis of whether or not the QR unscrewing mechanism is
> > repeatable, and *under what conditions.*
>
> That part of the hypothesis is gaining support, as has been already discussed.

It's pretty faint support, at this time. I prefer to wait until the full experiment is detailed
fully before I call it "support."

> That's not surprising, since the dynamics of the unscrewing of the QR nut is consistent with
> well-known principles.

Unscrewing of threaded fasteners? Sure. Except that I don't read anything about unscrewing of
*knurled*, cam-tightened ones.

> (Not, I hasten to add, that they were particularly well-known to me before this discussion. I've
> been observing nuts and bolts coming loose for many years without knowing what caused it).

Same here. Vibrational loosening on various equipment around the farm was par for the course. Blue
Loctite solved a lot of those.

> > > The problem is that most of the "pointed questions" to date are not in fact questions but
> > > instead are ad hominem attacks.
> >
> > This, of course, is unadulterated B.S. Nowhere have I attacked James, I have just asked
> > questions where I see there to be holes or clarifications.
>
> You're personalizing my comments and misconstruing them.

[snip continued explanation]

Your putting my words in quote, so I'm assuming you're talking about
me. What other conclusion am I supposed to draw?

Again, this explanation is a red herring. It does not address a single one of my questions, nor does
it do anything to clarify the problem.

> > This is not a personal thing, but a desire to really see what's going on here. I do not know
> > yet how large a design compromise the vertical drop-out/rear-caliper disk brake set-up happens
> > to be.
>
> I'm not sure what you're referring to here. We're talking about the front brake.

I meant to say "rear caliper placement" As in to the rear of the fork leg. My apologies for not
being clear.

> The standard placement for the rear disk brake does not create problems. As far as design
> compromise, all that has to be done is to move the caliper ahead of the fork leg, which will
> result in a retention force rather than an ejection force. End of problem. It would cost no more
> to make a fork with that mounting than the current design.

I agree. All well and good, except: what to do about all the forks already out there? James wants a
recall. Not going to happen without much more solid *evidence* (as opposed to force diagrams.)

> > > I suppose people don't like thinking they've been hoodwinked into spending a lot of money of a
> > > faulty product, and irrationally they attack the person who has pointd out the flaw instead of
> > > the manufacturer who failed to apply basic freshman-year engineering pronciples to the design.
> >
> > This is an interesting comment from a non-scientist. Tim, I am a research chemist, and
> > understand experimental science quite well.
>
> You're personalizing again.

No, you're generalizing again. But it's still a red herring. Since I have never attacked anyone,
explaining all this to me signifies what? Not one damned thing. I don't care about the other rubes
who make personal attacks against folks for having an idea. I am only concerned about how all the
numbers were arrived at. That's all.

> I'm also reasonably well-versed in science, experimental design, statistics, etc. from my psych
> graduate school days. My knowledge is rusty to be sure, as I don't use it on a daily basis. I read
> research reports frequently, but I don't do research myself.

Then you will understand that every single one of James anecdotes have absolutely no scientific
value as data points. Even his own. While Russ Pinder's injury was horrendous and tragic, we *do not
know* the initial conditions. Without that, it's pure guesswork.

> > I know what is meant by "statistically representative sample" and "controlled experiments." So
> > far, neither has been fully done in regards to this question.
>
> I agree that there have not been double-blind, randomized sample, with a control, etc. experiments
> done. They aren't necessary in this sort of problem.

The hell they're not. A random sample of QRs for testing, with no brand marks. Single blind is fine
here. From there, fork/hub/QR combos need to be exhaustively tested to see how and when they fail,
if they indeed DO fail.

But please, do tell how this assertion answers any of the questions I posed.

> > In any case, you may feel free to point out wherever I have attacked James personally because of
> > the hypothesis. Feel free to look carefully, but if I were you, I wouldn't waste more than an
> > hour or so trying to find something, because it's just not there. This line of logic is what's
> > known as a strawman argument.
>
> Umm, you're the one setting up a straw man in this case, by misinterpreting what I've written in a
> personal manner reflecting upon yourself.

You quoted my words, so I have to assume you mean me. And since you have answered not one of the
questions, but continued on in the same manner of defending the person, (James) I must assume you
are being personal.

> You say you have not engaged in personal attacks, and I have not accused you of such.

In your generalizations you most certainly have.

> > > The defensiveness and obtuseness has come from those people unwilling to perceive the
> > > situation for what it is.
> >
> > An ad hominem attack? Weren't you just saying something about that?
>
> You're personalizing again. Do we have that part clear, so that we can go on with a (hopefully)
> fruitful discussion?

Just stay away from characterizing the "anti" camp in any way - talk about the set-up and the
numbers, and stay away from attacking *anyone*, and we'll be fine.

Spider

Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote:
>explain. According to better engineers than you, bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly.

Why am I not surprised you believe this urban myth? Incidentally, the canonical form of it is about
"scientists" (unqualified as to field), not engineers.

Spider <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell <[email protected]>
>>Spider <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>How was the 0.6g decelleration figure arrived at? (This is one I've had a problem with from the
>>>beginning - I don't know where to get a g-meter for my mtb. I would be willing to experiment if I
>>>had one.)
>>As was explained to you at the time
>Why is this bit of condescension necessary?

In the hope that it won't have to be explained a third time.

>>the maximum deceleration attainable without lifting the rear wheel on the flat is directly
>>determined by the angle between the horizontal and a line drawn through the forward contact patch
>>and the centre of gravity of the bike+rider.
>Yes, it's a nice theory. Too bad that's not the way it works in application.

I await your explanation of what is wrong with it.

>1.) What is the coeffcient of friction of the two materials, acting together (travelling surface
> and tire)?

It's not important provided it is sufficient to lift the rear tyre, which demonstrably it often is.

>2.) Since when does braking only happen on level ground?

It doesn't. However, braking _does_ occur on level ground, and hence knowing the deceleration there
lets us obtain a figure that is seen in real usage.

>3. ) Most riders change their CG during braking, especially on a hill.
> An endo at speed is not indicated for happy riding, so, the rider
> will shift his/her posterior back to change the weight distribution.

This serves to increase the maximum deceleration, which further increases the ejection force. Hence
this does not invalidate figures based on a conservative figure for maximum deceleration.

>4.) On dirt, I have NEVER only used the front brake. The rear is always part of the equation. How
> much is being used? I dont' know,

You should; when braking approaches the point at which the rear tyre will lift, the braking from the
rear approaches zero.

> Tim McNamara writes:
>
> > How many failures are "significant?" Ten? Ten thousand? The design is faulty and, as such, one
> > failure is significant IMHO. It is not acceptable that the design puts an ejection force on the
> > front wheel. It's as simple as that.
>
> Make that:
>
> "It is not acceptable that the design 'gratuitously' puts an ejection force on the front wheel."
> because this force could easily be a retention force by positioning the brake caliper forward of
> the fork. This is the basic error in the design, and proves that brake reaction forces were not
> considered by fork designers.
>
> Some contributors have stated that disengagement can occur only when the QR is not tight
> enough. How tight is "enough" and how can this be defined for the person buying such a bicycle?
> I find this proposal ridiculously irresponsible, and one that would not be seen favorably by
> any court of law.

Make that "would not be seen favorably by any jury." I would give it a good fight before settling,
though. I'd be dead on liability, but the injuries probably would not amount to much. This is a lot
different from the Firestone cases where liability was a little tough, but the injuries were big --
like fatal big, and Firestone got sued by whole car loads of people, and even people in other cars.
CPSC doesn't do cars, but they have a lot of bigger fish to fry than disk brake bicycles. If I
wanted to put pressure on the manufacturers, I would write a letter to an insurance underwriting
organization and tip them off to the exposure. They would get something done. -- Jay Beattie.

James Annan said...

> I've heard of about 20 cases of actual wheel loss, roughly half of which have resulted in
> overnight (or longer) hospital stays - in the cash-strapped UK National Health Service, this is
> something that is far from routine and indicates that there were severe head and neck injuries.
>
> If you include the skewer unscrewing in your definition of 'problem' (and I think any sensible
> cyclist would do so) then there have been many many more failures than this, and several people
> have demonstrated that they can reproduce the phenomenon at will.

It has also been demonstrated that many riders, if not a large majority of the public at large, do
not tighten QRs properly. As for your stories of this or that bike shop guy being able to reproduce
the problem at will, my experience has been that bike shop employees are eager to believe all sorts
of outlandish things. The opinions that are presented as irrefutable fact by bike shop employees is
one of the things that has made me turn to the Internet for most of my biking needs.

> Articles have appeared on www.bikemagic.com, www.velovision.com and in the (paper) magazine of the
> CTC, the UK's biggest cyclists' organisation. All those journalists are in fact qualified
> engineers who have seen the evidence and agree there is a real problem. It's also been extensively
> discussed on the forum at www.singletrackworld.com by 'people who ride or race mountain bikes',
> where many of the failure reports can also be found.
>
> Of course, if you were genuinely interested in investigating the problem, rather than denying it,
> you wouldn't have made your silly comments. Just about everything that I have mentioned here is
> already published on my web site, and has been for several months now. I'm not really sure why I
> bothered typing it in again.
>
> James

I have read some of the postings on www.singletrackworld.com and while there appear to be a few more
engineers posting there, the arguments and conclusions aren't all that much different than what we
see here. For one thing, they don't agree on what forces are at work, and the calculations quickly
become so complex that we can never be certain that even the most thorough treatment has accounted
for everything. This is something that I have been repeating over and over and that is why I have
declined to comment on the mathematics of it. It is a job for research and shooting from the hip on
an Internet forum isn't going to prove anything. Also much like here, posters there have commented
on your tunnel vision and your high-handed attitude on this subject.

But fortunately we don't need mathematics to show that this alleged design flaw doesn't cause
problems very often. www.russ-appeal.org.uk says that the cause of Russ's crash can never be known
and only appears to have been caused by wheel separation. As you have done repeatedly, you put 2 and
2 together and get 22. You automatically assume you know exactly what happened when people closer to
the event than you say they don't know what happened. Maybe it was even you who planted the seed in
their minds that it was wheel ejection that caused the accident.

I also revisited your web site and the more I look at your particular failure, the more impressed I
am at what a very unusual example it is. We all sympathize that you had a catastrophic mechanical
failure. I have no doubt the crash was quite painful and infuriating. I will even concede that in
your case your explanation of why it happened is likely right on target. But you should at least be
willing to admit that if there was ever a perfect storm of design ingredients to make disc brake
wheel ejection happen, your is it. Let's go through a list of things that are unusual about your
situation:

1. You were riding a tandem. The forces acting on the QR from braking would be much higher than an
one person bike, perhaps more than merely twice as much.

2. From what I see in the picture, the fork appears to have no retention lips. All of my forks,
including my '99 GT rigid steel fork has retention lips. Retention lips are why your argument
morphed from disc brakes cause ejection forces on the front axle, which most people including me
agree with, to repeated braking causes the QR to loosen in addition to causing ejection forces.
And that is where it starts to get far-fetched and I stop the train and get off. Because not only
does the QR have to be lose to get past retention lips, it has to be as loose as a flag flapping
in the breeze. There should be a significant period of time between when a QR is merely loose and
when it is loose enough to get beyond retention lips where the rider can notice the problem.

3. The fork has very odd dropout angles that coincide almost perfectly with disc brake ejection
forces as you pointed out on your web site. Vertical dropouts would subtract much of the ejection
force that you experienced.

4. Your forks were steel while most disc brakes are mounted on suspension forks with magnesium lower
legs. Magnesium is softer than steel and should provide better grip to the knurled QR surfaces.
Flex may have also been an issue.

5. Your failure took all the paint on the dropouts with it. If you didn't have retention lips on
this fork, it would only be the friction of the QR against the matching surfaces on the fork to
counter the ejection forces. But if the paint between the QR and fork was intact, then the
frictional forces exerted by the QR would be filtered through whatever is the frictional force of
the paint against the metal. In other words, the paint could have acted as a lubricant. Similarly
if there were crushed paint chips embedded in the knurled surfaces of the QR, that would also
serve to defeat some of the friction needed to hold the wheel on. Nor can we be sure that there
wasn't just old-fashioned oil contamination on the surfaces. However often these failures are
occurring, maybe some of them could be avoided by insuring that the surfaces are clean and dry.

[email protected] (James Annan) wrote:

>"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> It is not up to me, some geek on usenet, to define "significant;" it is up to the manufacturers
>> who sell the equipment and who will pay the damages if they are found liable for a defective
>> product. To them, it is simple cost-benefit analysis: "significant" is the point at which it
>> would cost more to leave the product as it is, than recall it and change the design.
>
>That may be the way you think things should (or do) work, but it's not what the law says.

Now you're a lawyer (excuse me, "solicitor")?

On this side of the pond, if a product is determined by a jury be defective under products liability
law (in this case, a design defect, making the product unreasonably dangerous to use), a
manufacturer will be held strictly liable for resulting injuries.

That is not my point. As far as I know, there have as yet been NO lawsuits commenced in the states
against any manufacturer for injuries caused by your claimed defect (hereinafter "The Annan
Principal"). The manufacturers of products used by consumers for athletic activities which have any
risk of injury have already budgeted for and have ample insurance to cover liability for use of
their products, whether the liability results from seemingly bogus claims or valid ones.

The point under discussion is do they recall hundreds of thousands of products already sold for fear
of future liability for a defective product? The answer to date is NO. There has not been a
"significant" number of claims for this alleged defect. If any of the people you mention make and
PROVE their claim, their is more than enough existing insurance and reserve to cover the cost of any
liability. Moreover, CPSC is not convinced that there IS a defect. Why would any manufacturer spend
hundreds of thousands of dollars to recall and redesign a product under these circumstances? It is
clearly and obviously not cost effective, AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

Granted, there MAY come a time when the liability claims become so numerous, newsworthy, and immense
(Firestone, Pinto) that it becomes cost effective to recall the damn product and start over.

I am still betting that that point will NEVER come. There will NEVER be a recall of existing
forks, disc brakes and/or skewers because of the Annan Principal. There will never be a
"significant" number of claims. I base my bet (and that is all it is) on the fact of the vast
number of disc braked equipped bikes in use over the past 5 or more years versus the negligible
number of incidences of the Annan Principal. I back up my bet with my own life and limb because I
ride such a bike.

But I DO check my skewer more frequently than before I heard about the Annan Principal (I'm only
human). And I don't doubt the POSSIBILTY that future designs might address the Annan Principal as an
improvement in product performance and safety.

Time will tell. So, how much to you want to wager? --dt

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:timmcn->
>
> > Is the problem significant? Define "significant." Do 100 people need to be injured, paralyzed or
> > killed per year for the problem to be considered "significant?" What's the threshhold of
> > acceptable losses?
>
> It is not up to me, some geek on usenet, to define "significant;" it is up to the manufacturers
> who sell the equipment and who will pay the damages if they are found liable for a defective
> product. To them, it is simple cost-benefit analysis: "significant" is the point at which it would
> cost more to leave the product as it is, than recall it and change the design.

Well, that's a nice, cold and inhumane attitude. Were you behind the door when they were passing out
hearts? Your attitude is also a crock of ****: it is your responsibilty to define "significant," at
least insofar as it pertains to your values. Otherwise you're just passing the buck.

> As for you, please supply the name, date and place for *any* cyclist who has been severly injured,
> paralyzed or killed due to your pet problem. Bet you can't find one.

Whether I can or not doesn't matter- which you're apparently unable or unwilling to comprehend.
The design is faulty and needs to be corrected. All the rest of the **** you're blowing is just so
much smoke.

In article <[email protected]>, Super Slinky
<[email protected]> wrote:

> It has also been demonstrated that many riders, if not a large majority of the public at large, do
> not tighten QRs properly.

If you're going to introduce such sweeping blanket claims, you'd better be willing and able to
demonstrate proof. Sauce, goose, gander.

(Spider) wrote:

> > The standard placement for the rear disk brake does not create problems. As far as design
> > compromise, all that has to be done is to move the caliper ahead of the fork leg, which will
> > result in a retention force rather than an ejection force. End of problem. It would cost no more
> > to make a fork with that mounting than the current design.
>
> I agree. All well and good, except: what to do about all the forks already out there? James wants
> a recall. Not going to happen without much more solid *evidence* (as opposed to force diagrams.)

As far as the forks already out there, it looks like it would be possible to make a bracket which
would bolt into the existing mounting holes and which would provide new mounting holes in a
different location. I don't know that this would be possible with every suspension fork, but the
ones I've looked at would appear to have ample room to accomodate this. This approach would be far
cheaper and (I think) equally effective to recalling and replacing forks whole.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > You would win that bet. I've never bought a disk brake equipped bike because it's a silly design
> > that solves one problem: braking in deep mud.
>
> With this cogent observation, we now know that your lack of credibility is exceeded only by your
> insufferable arrogance.

Hmmm. And the other problems that disk brakes solve are what? Please feel free to enumerate them and
conclusively demonstrate my lack of credibility and insufferable arrogance.

Super Slinky <[email protected]> writes:

> It has also been demonstrated that many riders, if not a large majority of the public at large, do
> not tighten QRs properly.

I don't know about a majority, but agree that there is certainly a reasonable percentage that does
not tighten quick releases enough. The fork designers/manufacturers should take that into
consideration. That is why we have the [annoying but apparently useful] lawyer lips.

Joe Riel

[email protected] (Spider) writes:

> While I have seen now several dismissals of this question, maybe somebody could now tell me why
> none of this matters, since I'm talking about real application, rather than hypothetical (ie,
> never attained in real life) forces on the axle.

I find it curious that you need a front disk brake when, apparently, you never generate braking
forces that roadies, with their wimpy rim brakes, routinely do.

Joe [Smart Ass] Riel

P.S. I apologize, I have been trying to stick to the discussion. The more appropriate answer is that
the design has to be capable of performing over all reasonable usage. It isn't reasonable to
suggest that the fork/qr/brake/whatever will tolerate only suboptimal braking. Otherwise,
what's the point? Would you be happy if your fork came with a warning: "Not for hard braking,
tandems, or really fast downhillers like Missy Giove"?

[slipping into the smart ass mode again]

[email protected] (Spider) wrote:

> In addition, peak forces that might create an endo might be approached, but they (IME) are almost
> never reached, as most MTBer's use their rear brakes when braking, and shift their weight such
> that the rear brakes are to be effective. On the road, I could disconnect my rear brake and not
> notice much. On dirt, I would crash on the first steep descent.

This is an excellent point which many roadies just don't get. And too many of the contributors to
this thread either: 1) don't ride mountain bikes at all; 2) ride mountain bikes infrequently; or 3)
ride mountain bikes infrequently without disc brakes.

It's not the case that mtb'ers don't use their front brake; it's that off-road conditions require
use of the rear brake significantly (yeah, I like the word but I'm a freakin' lawyer and it's one of
our pet words) more than is ever required on road.

According to Sheldon (the one guy everybody agrees with, at least on bike related subjects):

"Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time, but there are instances when
the rear brake is preferred: Slippery surfaces. On good, dry pavement, it is generally impossible to
skid the front wheel by braking. On slippery surfaces, however it is possible to do so. It is nearly
impossible to recover from a front wheel skid, so if there is a high risk of skidding, you're better
off controlling your speed with the rear brake.

Bumpy surfaces. On rough surfaces, your wheels may actually bounce up into the air. If there is a
chance of this, don't use the front brake. If you apply the front brake while the wheel is airborne,
it will stop, and coming down on a stopped front wheel is a Very Bad Thing."
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Of course he's talking about the road, but think about off-road conditions and you'll get the idea.

--dt

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> > In addition, peak forces that might create an endo might be approached, but they (IME) are
> > almost never reached, as most MTBer's use their rear brakes when braking, and shift their weight
> > such that the rear brakes are to be effective. On the road, I could disconnect my rear brake and
> > not notice much. On dirt, I would crash on the first steep descent.
>
> This is an excellent point which many roadies just don't get. And too many of the contributors to
> this thread either: 1) don't ride mountain bikes at all; 2) ride mountain bikes infrequently; or
> 3) ride mountain bikes infrequently without disc brakes.
>
> It's not the case that mtb'ers don't use their front brake; it's that off-road conditions require
> use of the rear brake significantly (yeah, I like the word but I'm a freakin' lawyer and it's one
> of our pet words) more than is ever required on road.
>
> According to Sheldon (the one guy everybody agrees with, at least on bike related subjects):
>
> "Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time, but there are instances when
> the rear brake is preferred: Slippery surfaces. On good, dry pavement, it is generally impossible
> to skid the front wheel by braking. On slippery surfaces, however it is possible to do so. It is
> nearly impossible to recover from a front wheel skid, so if there is a high risk of skidding,
> you're better off controlling your speed with the rear brake.
>
> Bumpy surfaces. On rough surfaces, your wheels may actually bounce up into the air. If there is a
> chance of this, don't use the front brake. If you apply the front brake while the wheel is
> airborne, it will stop, and coming down on a stopped front wheel is a Very Bad Thing."
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
>
> Of course he's talking about the road, but think about off-road conditions and you'll get
> the idea.

If the front brake on mtbs is so unimportant, why the need for an expensive, complicated, and
"powerful" disc brake on the front?

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]