best bang for the buck $300 or less (preferably less) MTB/touring disk wheelset?

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
I figure I'll just go with some velocity rims or maybe some rhynolites.

the real issue is hubs, especially rear hubs.

what do you recommend?

Hi Strelok, I use these, which is a very nice wheelset ... http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=15 ... but I am sure there are others

Hi Strelok, here is the Product Information ... they seem very strong to me, but best you do some googling :) Allein - Super Light cross-country 26" Wheelset Alloy welded Rim with Eyelet for maximum strength 2 Bearin front hub and 4 Bearing rear hub system Triple butted Swedish Stainless steel Aero black spoke, Alloy Nipple T73 material. Front - 28 H , 3cross , Rear 32 H 3 cross. White Powder coating or shot blast black for added durability as an option Front Hub now comes with the hardware included for a 15mm Axel conversion. Heavy Duty MTB Quick Release (QR) Skewers and Rim Tape are included. Tested with various tubeless conversions. Weight F: 742 g / R: 858 g

Originally Posted by Strelok .

that doesn't really answer much.
There is no absolute answer to your question. Talk to a wheel builder. Again, don't over think your bike build. You're not doing anything that hasn't been done thousands of times a year over the course of many years by many cyclists. Another thing to consider would be to look at cargo bikes and see what disk wheels they're using and how those wheels are built. Let Google be your friend.

Strelok said:
that doesn't really answer much. Allein - Super Light cross-country 26" Wheelset Alloy welded Rim with Eyelet for maximum strength 2 Bearing front hub and 4 Bearing rear hub system Triple butted Swedish Stainless steel Aero black spoke, Alloy Nipple T73 material. Front - 28 H , 3cross , Rear 32 H 3 cross. White Powder coating or shot blast black for added durability as an option Front Hub now comes with the hardware included for a 15mm Axel conversion. Heavy Duty MTB Quick Release (QR) Skewers and Rim Tape are included. Tested with various tubeless conversions. Weight F: 742g / R: 858g
Hi Strelok, what do you not find helpful re these details? Actually, I have this wheelset and the information is accurate. This is a XC wheelset, so perhaps you could indicate the type of riding you usually do? I have indicated the strength in this MTB wheelset as above ... Probably the only rims that won't buckle, at all, are those with 40 spokes and perhaps some 36 spoked rims :)