Creaky Seat

photogy

Apr 16, 2005
My creaky seat on my road bike is driving me nuts! The problem appears any time a shift my weight (which is always) even the shifting of muscle from one leg to the other when pealing.

The problem appears to be where the seatpost clamps onto the seat rails. My local bike shop said that sometimes dirt gets into the clamp so I should clean the clamp area out, which I did, but it did not even dent the problem. Any advice?

very simple answer, guaranteed to work, ready? Grease the seat post!

photogy said:
My creaky seat on my road bike is driving me nuts! The problem appears any time a shift my weight (which is always) even the shifting of muscle from one leg to the other when pealing.

The problem appears to be where the seatpost clamps onto the seat rails. My local bike shop said that sometimes dirt gets into the clamp so I should clean the clamp area out, which I did, but it did not even dent the problem. Any advice?
Greasing the seat post won't help your problem unless you've mistaken where the noise is coming from.

Greasing the seat post will only help if the creaking is caused by the seat post moving around in the seat tube. If the sound is someplace else as you've stated then greasing the seat post won't stop the noise anymore than greasing your hubs.

Put a touch of grease where the noise is coming from - in this case the seat rails - and see if that helps. Just a touch though. Don't overdo it.

TrekDedicated said:
Soooo true.

I'd clean it first, then re-grease it.
My seat post is carbon fiber. I had hears somewhere that Carbon Fiber should not be greased. Is this true. If not, what kind of grease do I use?

Doctor Morbius said:
Greasing the seat post won't help your problem unless you've mistaken where the noise is coming from.

Greasing the seat post will only help if the creaking is caused by the seat post moving around in the seat tube. If the sound is someplace else as you've stated then greasing the seat post won't stop the noise anymore than greasing your hubs.

Put a touch of grease where the noise is coming from - in this case the seat rails - and see if that helps. Just a touch though. Don't overdo it.
Great! I suspision that this is the answer! What kind of grease though?

photogy said:
My seat post is carbon fiber. I had heard somewhere that Carbon Fiber should not be greased. Is this true??
Yes. Don't grease carbon fiber.

If you just want to put a touch of grease on your seatpost rails (and they aren't carbon fiber) then any lightweight grease will do. Try just a thin film.