CSC (sponsor) leaving cycling at year end

hawkeye87

Feb 18, 2008
Velonews has this article I just spotted:

http://www.velonews.com/article/73250/csc-leaving-cycling-at-seasons-end

I had thought they were committed through 2009 or something like that. Perhaps they had a buy out similar to T-Mobile.

Regardless, it means it is now 3 pro tour teams that must secure new sponsors by year end (Credit Agricole, Gerolsteiner and CSC). That is not even accounting for what may come of Astana by the end of the season.

hawkeye87 said:
Velonews has this article I just spotted:

http://www.velonews.com/article/73250/csc-leaving-cycling-at-seasons-end

I had thought they were committed through 2009 or something like that. Perhaps they had a buy out similar to T-Mobile.

Regardless, it means it is now 3 pro tour teams that must secure new sponsors by year end (Credit Agricole, Gerolsteiner and CSC). That is not even accounting for what may come of Astana by the end of the season.
It would be nice to know if this is because of doping or because they've just got enough customers this way and want to try new ways of marketing. I would bet it to be the latter one since 8 years is quite a long time.
Does anyone know of any other IT companies sponsoring cycling?

wouldn't worry too much about this.... Riis has a grand plan..... new sponsor.... Watch this space Im told....

whiteboytrash said:
wouldn't worry too much about this.... Riis has a grand plan..... new sponsor.... Watch this space Im told....
facetious or not?

CSC said they would help to search for a new sponsor, seems it may not necessarily be a fait accompli

If the season continues like this sponsors will be less afraid by doping scandal... so it's the right time to put money... the next years a team will probably cost more!

poulidor said:
If the season continues like this sponsors will be less afraid by doping scandal... so it's the right time to put money... the next years a team will probably cost more!
Do teams have a capital asset value that can be traded? Does a sponsor "buy" them off another sponsor. I thought teams were mainly annual running costs after initial set-up.

It might be easier to get cyclists for less money now... but if the evnvironment improves... you will be paying approximately the same costs/salaries as the next sponsor who just enters.

You may be able to gety invites however, at that time, that a new sponsor may not.

Cycling is becoming less and less attractive as a sponsorship vehicle with each passing development. CSC's don't grow on trees. The danger is that the quality sponsors are leaving/have left. Deutsche Telekom, CSC, Discovery Channel. These sponsors gave the sport credibility and $$$, whatever their nefarious practices were like behind the curtain.

Crankyfeet said:
Cycling is becoming less and less attractive as a sponsorship vehicle with each passing development. CSC's don't grow on trees. The danger is that the quality sponsors are leaving/have left. Deutsche Telekom, CSC, Discovery Channel. These sponsors gave the sport credibility and $$$, whatever their nefarious practices were like behind the curtain.
Huh??? T-com, Disco, etc. gave credibility to the sport??? Yeah, they gave $$, but they also have a hand in the mess at present and the lack of credibility in the sport.

TheDarkLord said:
Huh??? T-com, Disco, etc. gave credibility to the sport??? Yeah, they gave $$, but they also have a hand in the mess at present and the lack of credibility in the sport.
I'm conflicted in respects to whether or not Discovery brought credibility to the sport. In the long run, I think that they simply jumped on the Tour de Lance caravan. They got in while Lance was still on the team and jumped out after her retired and things were starting to look sticky in Europe. That wasn't good for the sport.

What initially appeared to give them credibility was that they have great programming on the cable channels. That, sadly, did not translate to their sponsorship. They could have represented so much good (top notch drug testing for instance), but only seemed to contribute to the problem in the long run.

TheDarkLord said:
They gave credibility because of the type/size company that they were. These were big teams. It is highly arguable and unlikely IMO that the sponsors were knowledgeable about the doping in the teams at board level. I think the program started further down the chain of command. But that's conjecture.

My point was that these companies were esteemed big companies. Not flooring tile companies, or Mexican restaurant chains... or a denim jeans brand, etc.

From a PR perspective and to the average fan, they gave the sport credibility.

I am willing to help sponsor a team if any of you are interested. All I ask is that you train hard, supply your own equipment,food,transportation and do not expect to get payed. All the glory of winning will be 100% yours.
I do have some non-matching jerseys.

Crankyfeet said:
They gave credibility because of the type/size company that they were. These were big teams. It is highly arguable and unlikely IMO that the sponsors were knowledgeable about the doping in the teams at board level. I think the program started further down the chain of command. But that's conjecture.

My point was that these companies were esteemed big companies. Not flooring tile companies, or Mexican restaurant chains... or a denim jeans brand, etc.

I agree...

jhuskey said:
I am willing to help sponsor a team if any of you are interested. All I ask is that you train hard, supply your own equipment,food,transportation and do not expect to get payed. All the glory of winning will be 100% yours.
I do have some non-matching jerseys.
LOL...that sounds like some of the sales jobs I've been offered...:rolleyes:

Crankyfeet said:

It depends on how the average fan looks at the results of the doping investigations today. Does the average fan think that the rider(s) were doping, or does s/he think that the team was involved in doping? If the latter, then it doesn't really matter whether or not the sponsor was aware of the nefarious practices, since they lose credibility in the eyes of the average fan.

TheDarkLord said:
It depends on how the average fan looks at the results of the doping investigations today. Does the average fan think that the rider(s) were doping, or does s/he think that the team was involved in doping? If the latter, then it doesn't really matter whether or not the sponsor was aware of the nefarious practices, since they lose credibility in the eyes of the average fan.
Yep, it's their business to know how anything they attach their name & funds to is being used. The I didn't know what was going on excuse just doesn't fly.

missile said:
Yep, it's their business to know how anything they attach their name & funds to is being used. The I didn't know what was going on excuse just doesn't fly.
I think that's unrealistic...it's an advertising decision to sponsor sporting events and teams. I doubt DS's are filling them in on "preparation" details, and I don't think these companies are surfing cycling forums. And even the "average" fan isn't that clued in to doping.

TheDarkLord said:
Agreed. Which is why they're exiting. The brand erosion costs far more than the ROI on their sponsorship.

I just think it is good to have big companies (assuming they're not running doping programs) as sponsors rather than small ones.... to better the prestige of pro cycling.

nns1400 said:
I think that's unrealistic...it's an advertising decision to sponsor sporting events and teams. I doubt DS's are filling them in on "preparation" details, and I don't think these companies are surfing cycling forums. And even the "average" fan isn't that clued in to doping.
But it is the reality. Why would sponsors be leaving the sport if their image did not take a beating with the scandals? And even the average fan is getting a bit dubious about people like LA.

Crankyfeet said:
Agreed. Which is why they're exiting. The brand erosion costs far more than the ROI on their sponsorship.

I just think it is good to have big companies (assuming they're not running doping programs) as sponsors rather than small ones.... to better the prestige of pro cycling.
I agree with you regarding prestige, since more people would be able to relate to the big companies. For the hardcore fans, it doesn't matter anyway.

TheDarkLord said:
But it is the reality. Why would sponsors be leaving the sport if their image did not take a beating with the scandals? And even the average fan is getting a bit dubious about people like LA.
Right. I'm just saying it's reasonable to say, that in the past, big companies didn't know about all that. Now, as you say, even regular people are starting to realize there really is a problem. And these companies are now leaving.

thunder said:
facetious or not?

CSC said they would help to search for a new sponsor, seems it may not necessarily be a fait accompli

yes UPS and the National Geographic channel are very keen to get involved....