CTC error

wafflycat

Guest
The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.

According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is the
new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil Liggett
steps down.

This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up cycling
as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be kept separate
from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the erroneous view that
cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going to take before this
comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational backside when the media
picks up on how the CTC has a president who thinks cyclists should be kept
off the roads, yet at the same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member
who was fined for cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?

I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

Cheers, helen s

--

~~

SUPPORT THE CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/

~~
to send reply email - you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~

wafflycat wrote:
> The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.
>
> According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow
> is the new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once
> Phil Liggett steps down.
>
> This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on
> 'Richard & Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to
> take up cycling as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists
> should be kept separate from traffic on separate facilities, so
> promoting the erroneous view that cycling is inherently dangerous.
> How long is it going to take before this comes back and bites the CTC
> in its organisational backside when the media picks up on how the CTC
> has a president who thinks cyclists should be kept off the roads, yet
> at the same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member who was fined
> for cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?
> I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

Jon with his high media profile should generate a lot of good publicity for
the CTC and cycling in general. Perhaps he will change his erroneous views
once the CTC educate him. Though it is weird to hire a president who needs
such education!

~PB

wafflycat wrote:

> This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard
> & Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up
> cycling as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be
> kept separate from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the
> erroneous view that cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it
> going to take before this comes back and bites the CTC in its
> organisational backside when the media picks up on how the CTC has a
> president who thinks cyclists should be kept off the roads, yet at the
> same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member who was fined for
> cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?

People do change their minds, especially when presented with the correct
information in place of their previous misapprehensions. Let's hope
that the CTC change Mr. Snow's. In the meantime, write to seek
assurance that they do their very best to do just that.

> I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

I'd wait until he shows evidence of keeping it up before taking such a step.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Jon with his high media profile should generate a lot of good publicity
> for the CTC and cycling in general. Perhaps he will change his erroneous
> views once the CTC educate him. Though it is weird to hire a president
> who needs such education!
>
> ~PB

Yes, it was that high media profile that got him invited on to the Richard &
Judy show to discuss cycling, where he took it unpon himself to announce to
the viewers that when he's asked by anyone about taking up cycling, he tells
them not to do it... oh, and he admits to pavement cycling as well :-(

Cheers, helen s

> According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is the
> new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil Liggett
> steps down.

Well that's great news, surely. A real (and high profile) cyclist
helping to represent the views of real cyclists to the wider public.

What more could you want? Somebody who is highly controlled by the
organisation, a puppet if you like?

"tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is
>> the
>> new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil Liggett
>> steps down.

> Well that's great news, surely. A real (and high profile) cyclist
> helping to represent the views of real cyclists to the wider public.
>
> What more could you want? Somebody who is highly controlled by the
> organisation, a puppet if you like?

How about someone who hasn't gone on national TV in February of this year on
'Richard & Judy' (13th February 2006) and admitted he tells people not to
take up cycling as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should
be kept separate from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the
erroneous view that cycling is inherently dangerous. The CTC will now have a
president who has publicly said he tells people not to take up cycling.
Personally I'd much rather the CTC has a president who did not do that as
part of the role of the CTC is to actively encourage people to take up
cycling - not attempt to dissuade them of it.

Cheers, helen s

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>

>> Jon with his high media profile should generate a lot of good publicity
>> for the CTC and cycling in general. Perhaps he will change his erroneous
>> views once the CTC educate him. Though it is weird to hire a president
>> who needs such education!
>>
>> ~PB

> Yes, it was that high media profile that got him invited on to the Richard
> & Judy show to discuss cycling, where he took it unpon himself to announce
> to the viewers that when he's asked by anyone about taking up cycling, he
> tells them not to do it... oh, and he admits to pavement cycling as well
> :-(

I think that's more than enough reasons to not hire him. I'd certainly hand
my CTC card back, if I had one.

The person at the healm doesn't need to be a keen cyclist, but has to
advocate the good things about it, and be a figurehead for good behaviour.

tom wrote:

> What more could you want? Somebody who is highly controlled by the
> organisation, a puppet if you like?

I'm not interested in a puppet, but I'd certainly prefer someone with a
Clue about both the relative and absolute dangers of cycling.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Following on from wafflycat's message. . .
>The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.
>
>According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is the
>new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil Liggett
>steps down.
>
>This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
>Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up cycling
>as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be kept separate
>from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the erroneous view that
>cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going to take before this
>comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational backside when the media
>picks up on how the CTC has a president who thinks cyclists should be kept
>off the roads, yet at the same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member
>who was fined for cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?
>
>I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.
>
>Cheers, helen s

Well said Helen.

I've already given up with the CTC else I'd want to know who thought
that somebody off the cab rank of after-dinner speakers was a good bet.
Let's face it cyclists are by their very nature do-ers and get the knees
dirty people. And (no offence intended to the large cohort of fit,
strong, and experienced cyclists) why have somebody who fits the
'retired old fogey with a basket on the handlebars and cycle clips on
their tweeds' stereotype when say a 25-y.o. mad red-haired uni-cyclist
would be better on the telly and better for 'what the hell - everyone
jump on and off we go'.

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the cardboard box company folded
[email protected]

Peter Fox wrote:
> I've already given up with the CTC else I'd want to know who thought
> that somebody off the cab rank of after-dinner speakers was a good bet.
> Let's face it cyclists are by their very nature do-ers and get the knees
> dirty people. And (no offence intended to the large cohort of fit,
> strong, and experienced cyclists) why have somebody who fits the
> 'retired old fogey with a basket on the handlebars and cycle clips on
> their tweeds' stereotype when say a 25-y.o. mad red-haired uni-cyclist
> would be better on the telly and better for 'what the hell - everyone
> jump on and off we go'.
>
> $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
> The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
> qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
> televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
>
> Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

And I'd disagree. Cycling needs ambassadors who can be respected and
seen as normal by the general public. The positive reasons to have Jon
Snow are:

1. He is a well known person.
2. He is mainstream, hence 'normal'
3. He has gravitas which commands a degree of respect across the board.
4. He is a regular utility cyclist.

Against are the points that Helen has made, ie. it would really help if
he could provide some degree of accuracy and logic behind his opinions.
And it really would help if he stuck to the law, like the rest of us
try to.

...d

Sorry the system (or me) lost a long mail

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.
>>
>> According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is
>> the new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil
>> Liggett steps down.
>>
>> This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
>> Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up
>> cycling as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be
>> kept separate from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the
>> erroneous view that cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going
>> to take before this comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational
>> backside when the media picks up on how the CTC has a president who
>> thinks cyclists should be kept off the roads, yet at the same time
>> supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member who was fined for cycling on the
>> road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?
>>
>> I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.
>>
>> Cheers, helen s
>>

>> --
>>
>> ~~
>>
>> SUPPORT THE CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND
>> http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/
>>
>> ~~
>> to send reply email - you may need to remove dependence
>> on fame & fortune from organisation
>> to get correct email address
>> ~Noodliness is Good~

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:17:13 +0100 someone who may be "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote this:-

>This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
>Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up cycling
>as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be kept separate
>from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the erroneous view that
>cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going to take before this
>comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational backside when the media
>picks up on how the CTC has a president who thinks cyclists should be kept
>off the roads, yet at the same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member
>who was fined for cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?
>
>I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

I'm not a member. However, they can be jerked into action by a
suitably worded e-mail. My impression is that the organisation
consists of two parts. One are the generic organisation bods, who
move from one organisation to the other at will. The others are
those interested in cycling.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Peter Fox said:
$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
Will Mr Snow be requiring a Pedalometer to explain his decisions?

I think AHD is a particularly good choice though whether he'd fit with David Martin's mainstream (i.e. normal) requirement is debatable.

Others:

Chris Boardman? Not utility enough?

Nicole Cooke? Too young? Not famous enough? (despite being the best female cyclist in the world)

Sean Yates? Again, not utility? Too bloody busy anyway?

Christian Wolmar? Too political? Not famous enough? Not mainstream enough?

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Fox
('[email protected]') wrote:

> $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
> The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
> qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
> televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Boris Jonstone?

No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

In article <[email protected]>,
Peter Fox <[email protected]> writes:

|> $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
|> The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
|> qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
|> televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
|>
|> Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

The other television Jeremy? He cycles and he has brains, and is
not inclined to suffer fools gladly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Peter Fox <[email protected]> writes:
> |>
> |> $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
> |> The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
> |> qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
> |> televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
> |>
> |> Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.
>
> The other television Jeremy? He cycles and he has brains, and is
> not inclined to suffer fools gladly.

Mr Paxman..

There are a surprising [1] number of high profile types who cycle. Most
just get on with it.

I think JS will be a good figurehead for the CTC and will be able to be
'on message' when necessary. Whether he will ever have a 'Jon and his
mates' ride like the Ph&F remains to be seen (dodging through city
centres on the pavement?)

JP would be somewhat too abrasive a personality for the diplomatic role
of CTC president?

...d

> in message <[email protected]>, Peter Fox
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
>> The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
>> qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
>> televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

> Boris Jonstone?
>
> No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
> regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

You have to be out of your mind! And I am not talking about politics here
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk.

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Peter Fox
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
> > The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
> > qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
> > televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

> Boris Jonstone?
>
> No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
> regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

We like Boris :)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:20:29 +0100, Peter Fox wrote:
> $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
> The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
> qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
> televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Yes, him or the presenter of that recent bbc programs about mapping who went
over some of the lake district passes on a 100 year old bike ...
ah yes, Nicholas Crane http://www.tvfactual.co.uk/nicolas_crane.htm though Adam
Hart's better known.

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: E3E8E974 :: Jabber: [email protected]