Custom wheel advice

SKAUFMAN12

Jul 12, 2004
I am considering having a set of custom wheels made up. I would like them to be lighter and more aero than my current Ultegra/OP’s. I want to use readily available parts like DT spokes and Dura-Ace hubs. I like the OC feature of the Velocity Arrowhead rims. I weigh 150 lbs. Has anyone built a set like this and what would they weigh. Could I get a set like this to weigh close to 1500g? Who would be a good wheel builder who uses Shimano hubs (not Speedcific?) and Velocity rims?

They're probably going to land in the 1600-1700 gram range, which is still pretty good for what they'll cost. As for a builder, try to find somebody local with a good reputation. They should have no trouble getting those parts. The most important part is for your builder to spend some time talking to you about your riding style in order to work out details like spoke counts and lacing patterns.

artmichalek said:
They're probably going to land in the 1600-1700 gram range, which is still pretty good for what they'll cost. As for a builder, try to find somebody local with a good reputation. They should have no trouble getting those parts. The most important part is for your builder to spend some time talking to you about your riding style in order to work out details like spoke counts and lacing patterns.

I bought a set of velocity aerohead, hugi 240 hubs and sapim x-ray spokes. they cost me $638.00 out the door. 1485 grams for the pair. i have only ridden them for 40 miles and i really like them. i hope this helps.

veloci said:
I bought a set of velocity aerohead, hugi 240 hubs and sapim x-ray spokes. they cost me $638.00 out the door. 1485 grams for the pair. i have only ridden them for 40 miles and i really like them. i hope this helps.
Those sound nice. The 240's weigh about 175g less for the set than Dura Ace, so that would bring the wheels up to ~1660. Which still isn't bad.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
I am considering having a set of custom wheels made up. I would like them to be lighter and more aero than my current Ultegra/OP’s. I want to use readily available parts like DT spokes and Dura-Ace hubs. I like the OC feature of the Velocity Arrowhead rims. I weigh 150 lbs. Has anyone built a set like this and what would they weigh. Could I get a set like this to weigh close to 1500g? Who would be a good wheel builder who uses Shimano hubs (not Speedcific?) and Velocity rims?
You can look through the weight data at:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
Velocity Aerohead rims with OC rear is a good choice for value. Veloplugs shave a little weight too instead of rim tape. I still like to put a inch of rim tape by the valve hole to protect the inner tube at that point. You can shave grams on the front wheel by using either 28 or 24 spokes.
At your weight you are OK with 28 spokes in the rear if you use the OC Aerohead rim.
Sapim CX-Ray spokes are light/aero/durable, but expensive.
The new DURA ACE 10 speed rear hub is light due to it's aluminum freehub (cassettee body).
When you do the math on your choices you will find out the total weight. You will notice that Weight Weenies shows actual weights and variances from manufacturers specifications.
I build with Velocity rims, and so does http://www.vecchios.com/ in Boulder, Colorado (Peter)
&
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ in Madison, Wisconsin (Andrew)

daveornee said:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
Velocity Aerohead rims with OC rear is a good choice for value.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you have any experience with IRD Cadence rims? They're in the same price range as the Aerohead, and are listed at 390g. I expect that they would be pretty flexy, but I haven't heard anything about durability or finish quality.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
i dunno if i were to get Dura ace hubs.... get somethin better like DT swiss, something sealed
DT Swiss are quality hubs, but "sealed" isn't really sealed in terms of keeping water out.
DURA ACE uses Double Contact Sealing with standard cup and cone stainless steel ball bearings.
Before assuming that "sealed" bearing hubs are superior I suggest you read:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.6.html
My experience with any "sealed" bearing product has been mixed. It is much easier to pop in a new set of "sealed" bearing cartridges than to perform a standard hub service on cup-and-cone style hubs. However, attaining the "sealed" cartridges isn't a "walk in to any bicycle shop and pick them up expereince".
I had a tour disrupted twice in one summer by failures of "sealed" cartridge bearings. All I did is ride in the rain without any special care, but the hubs and bottom bracket were never emersed in water.

Thanks for all the responses. How would you lace these wheels? I see most of the boutiques laced radial front, 2x drive rear and radial non-drive rear. Can a Dura-Ace hub be reliable with this type of setup? Also what type of spokes are a good compromise between strength and lightness. Would they be plain DB or revolutions? I would rather have something that was reliable even if they come in at 1650 grams.

daveornee said:
DT Swiss are quality hubs, but "sealed" isn't really sealed in terms of keeping water out.
DURA ACE uses Double Contact Sealing with standard cup and cone stainless steel ball bearings.
Before assuming that "sealed" bearing hubs are superior I suggest you read:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.6.html
My experience with any "sealed" bearing product has been mixed. It is much easier to pop in a new set of "sealed" bearing cartridges than to perform a standard hub service on cup-and-cone style hubs. However, attaining the "sealed" cartridges isn't a "walk in to any bicycle shop and pick them up expereince".
I had a tour disrupted twice in one summer by failures of "sealed" cartridge bearings. All I did is ride in the rain without any special care, but the hubs and bottom bracket were never emersed in water.
David, my experience with "sealed" cartridge bearing hubs has been the same as yours. One good rain ride was all it took for moisture to get past the end caps and into my "sealed" bearings. Based on this limited experience I consider them inferior to the good old ball bearing and cone hubs with real axle seals.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
Thanks for all the responses. How would you lace these wheels? I see most of the boutiques laced radial front, 2x drive rear and radial non-drive rear. Can a Dura-Ace hub be reliable with this type of setup? Also what type of spokes are a good compromise between strength and lightness. Would they be plain DB or revolutions? I would rather have something that was reliable even if they come in at 1650 grams.
Just my opinion, but I'd go 2x all around if I were having these wheels built. My Velomax wheels have the radial/2x on rear, and radial in front. They work fine, but believe they aren't going to be as durable as 2x lacing.

The small gram savings may look good on paper to those comparing weights for buying decision, but don't think it's a worthwhile tradeoff....at least for us non-racers.

David and others may have more experience here; would like to hear more.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
I suggest Sapim Laser 14/17 DB front and left rear. I suggest Sapim Race 14/15 DB right rear. DT Revolution 14/17 DB and DT Competition 14/15 DB are also good, if that is what your builder has.
Sapim CX-Ray spokes front will shave some grams and give you a very small aero improvement over round spokes.
You will need to see if the weight savings/aero/bling factors are in your budget.
DURA ACE 7800 hubs can be radially laced, but it is harder on the rims/spokes/hubs and gains you very little in the process. DURA ACE 7700 hubs below 24H are not covered by Shimano's warranty.
I suggest 2 cross 28 spoke font and 2 cross 28 spoke rear.
I also suggest Sapim Polyax plated brass nipples.

check in with gravy over at gravywheels.com. He can build you anything you want and he can probbaly recommend a good setup for what you are looking for.. He has just a little bit of race experince..

SKAUFMAN12 said:

I bought wheels from mike garcia at oddsandendos.com. i would recommend speaking with him before you buy anything. i was looking for a cheaper wheel and ended up him building me velocity aeroheads, dt spokes,and speedcific hubs. after a year and a half i've had no problems at all and i've hit some pretty good potholes. they also come in at around 1500 grams (can't remember the exact weight but they are close to 1500g). oh and they cost around 300 bucks. call him and he'll talk to you all day about wheels.

bob