Cycling: A Novel - another weird thing - I77 not in texas

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Wle, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Wle

    Wle Guest

    author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the only
    interstate i see on the map.

    he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
    seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
    but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..

    I77 goes from columbia south carolina to cleveland, but not
    any part of texas..

    wle.

    Tags:

  2. On 11 Mar 2004 10:02:34 -0800, [email protected] (wle) wrote:

    >author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the only
    >interstate i see on the map.
    >
    >he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
    >seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
    >but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..
    >
    >I77 goes from columbia south carolina to cleveland, but not
    >any part of texas..

    You don't cycle on interstates.

    -Luigi

    >wle.

  3. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    luigi12081 @cox.net says...
    > On 11 Mar 2004 10:02:34 -0800, [email protected]
    > (wle) wrote:
    >
    > >author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the
    > >only interstate i see on the map.
    > >
    > >he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
    > >seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
    > >but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..
    > >
    > >I77 goes from columbia south carolina to cleveland, but
    > >not any part of texas..
    > >

    > You don't cycle on interstates.

    In many rural areas of the American West, you do, because
    they're the only reasonable route between some cities (and
    that's why it's permitted).

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" wrote
    > You don't cycle on interstates.
    >
    > -Luigi

    Actually, there are states in the Western US where it is
    legal to cycle on rural Interstates. In fact, part of
    the designated bike route between Denver, CO and
    Glenwood Springs uses the shoulder of I-70. These
    Interstates generally have wide breakdown lanes with
    rumble strips separating the breakdown lane from the
    regular travel lanes. The rumble strips were specially
    developed by the Colorado Dep't. of Transportation in
    cooperation with Bicycle Colorado to be as cyclist-
    friendly as possible, while serving their intended
    purpose of alerting drowsy/inattentive drivers that they
    are drifting off the roadway.

    I might add that the Interstates where cycling is permitted
    are frequently the only paved roadways in the areas they
    pass through, which is probably why cycling is permitted on
    rural Interstates in these states.
    --
    mark

  5. collver1

    collver1 Guest

    mark <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Actually, there are states in the Western US where it is
    > legal to cycle on rural Interstates.

    All of I-5 in Oregon is legal to cycle, except for some
    crowded parts going through downtown Portland. I have seen
    folks cycling on I-5 several times, but they were always
    armed with multiple bright flags.

    Ben
    --
    Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.

  6. Wle

    Wle Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > You don't cycle on interstates.
    >
    > don't tell that to those of us out west.

    in one place he only mentions crossing under it.

    but in another i do think, yes, he mentions pedaling madly
    to not get hit by the flying 18 wheelers.

    he also seems not to have the religion of 'vehicular
    cycling', even off the interstate, because he stays to the
    edge of the road and worries about getting hit.

    wle.

  7. Wle

    Wle Guest

    [email protected] (wle) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the
    > only interstate i see on the map.
    >
    > he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
    > seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
    > but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..

    well ! he wrote back and said i was right, it is not I77 but
    US77 that he meant, he will correct it in paperback and
    later editions, thanks for reading, quite nice about it.

    wle.

  8. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    11 Mar 2004 20:58:14 -0800,
    <60402c15.040311[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (wle) wrote:

    >[email protected] (wle) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the
    >> only interstate i see on the map.
    >>
    >> he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
    >> seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
    >> but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..
    >
    >well ! he wrote back and said i was right, it is not I77
    >but US77 that he meant, he will correct it in paperback and
    >later editions, thanks for reading, quite nice about it.
    >
    >wle.

    What! How many mistakes is this guy making? He's going to
    give all cyclists a bad name and then drivers who read it
    will hunt us down and kill us with their cars.
    --
    zk