Cycling Computers

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
I've recently just fitted a cordless Sigma 1200 + RDS to my bike. I haven't actually gone out for a ride with it yet but so far I can't say I'm impressed.

Firstly, the computer is attached to the bike by rubber bands??? That's the attachment that goes on the handlebar and the transmitter attached to the forks. This doesn't inspire confidence both for security or for secure fitting. Also, the fitting that attaches to the spoke, which the fork sensor is supposed to detect before it sends the signal up to the computer that a revolution has completed, is made of a flimsy rubber with a flimsy metal attachment, which doesn't look like it will last very long. Frankly, the design looks and feels very cheap.

I've used a Cateye Cordless before and thought I'd give this Sigma a go but what an error that turned out to be! If I remember rightly, the Cateye is attached by use of pull ties, which are far superior to rubber bands!!!!!

On the plus side though, the computer functions are a little simpler to understand than for the Cateye.

In article <[email protected]>,
usenet- [email protected] says...
> I've recently just fitted a cordless Sigma 1200 + RDS to
> my bike. I haven't actually gone out for a ride with it
> yet but so far I can't say I'm impressed.
>
> Firstly, the computer is attached to the bike by rubber
> bands??? That's the attachment that goes on the handlebar
> and the transmitter attached to the forks. This doesn't
> inspire confidence both for security or for secure
> fitting.

I've been using this attachment for about 6 years no,
no problem.

> Also, the fitting that attaches to the spoke, which the
> fork sensor is supposed to detect before it sends the
> signal up to the computer that a revolution has completed,
> is made of a flimsy rubber with a flimsy metal attachment,
> which doesn't look like it will last very long. Frankly,
> the design looks and feels very cheap.

Mmm, haven't seen this before. Sigma magnets are usually a
plastic barrel with a hole through the middle for the spoke.
A metal sleeve pushes over the plastic barrel to close it
tight onto the spoke. I've actually purchased the Sigma
magnets separately to use on other computers because they
are so good.

> I've used a Cateye Cordless before and thought I'd give
> this Sigma a go but what an error that turned out to be!
> If I remember rightly, the Cateye is attached by use of
> pull ties, which are far superior to rubber bands!!!!!

See answer 1.

> On the plus side though, the computer functions are a
> little simpler to understand than for the Cateye.

Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> I've recently just fitted a cordless Sigma 1200 + RDS to
> my bike. I haven't actually gone out for a ride with it
> yet but so far I can't say I'm impressed.
>
> Firstly, the computer is attached to the bike by rubber
> bands??? That's the attachment that goes on the handlebar
> and the transmitter attached to the forks.

There is a bit of double sided sticky tape for the handlebar
as well. It's pretty solid.

12 years and counting for my BC600. I did replace the rubber
band after 11 years when it broke :)

This doesn't inspire confidence both for security or for
> secure fitting. Also, the fitting that attaches to the
> spoke, which the fork sensor is supposed to detect before
> it sends the signal up to the computer that a revolution
> has completed, is made of a flimsy rubber with a flimsy
> metal attachment, which doesn't look like it will last
> very long. Frankly, the design looks and feels very cheap.

Never had any problems. I find it pretty tough to get off
when I have to remove it. I have sensors on 3 bikes.

> I've used a Cateye Cordless before and thought I'd give
> this Sigma a go but what an error that turned out to be!
> If I remember rightly, the Cateye is attached by use of
> pull ties, which are far superior to rubber bands!!!!!

Sigma sent me a new instruction booklet for my BC700 by
return of post - 11 years after I bought it. I was impressed
and bought a BC1600 when I next needed a new one.

Pete

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've recently just fitted a cordless Sigma 1200 + RDS to
> my bike. I haven't actually gone out for a ride with it
> yet but so far I can't say I'm impressed.
>
> Firstly, the computer is attached to the bike by rubber
> bands??? That's the attachment that goes on the handlebar
> and the transmitter attached to the forks.

I use a Sigma BC 1600 and was initially not impressed by
the rubber bands, but having used it for 6 months, it is
better than my old Cateye system. No slippage and a good
reliable computer.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

OK, well your comments have made me slightly more at ease. I'll use the computer for a few months and see how I feel.

The other thing that irks me about this purchase is that Cycling Plus magazine gave it a 10/10 review, which is basically what convinced me to buy it.

However well the computer performs in practice, the rubber bands make the product inferior to the Cateye.

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, well your comments have made me slightly more at ease.
> I'll use
the
> computer for a few months and see how I feel.
>
> The other thing that irks me about this purchase is that
> Cycling Plus magazine gave it a 10/10 review, which is
> basically what convinced me to buy it.
>
> However well the computer performs in practice, the rubber
> bands make the product inferior to the Cateye.
>

> --

and the Cateye is only slightly better with nylon ties. I
wan the screw on fixings back so I can remove it all for
cleaning and adjust position.

In article <[email protected]>, usenet-
[email protected] says...
> OK, well your comments have made me slightly more at ease.
> I'll use the computer for a few months and see how I feel.
>
> The other thing that irks me about this purchase is that
> Cycling Plus magazine gave it a 10/10 review, which is
> basically what convinced me to buy it.
>
> However well the computer performs in practice, the rubber
> bands make the product inferior to the Cateye.

You forgot to add "in my opinion".

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > However well the computer performs in practice, the
> > rubber bands make the product inferior to the Cateye.
> >

> You forgot to add "in my opinion".

Not necessary when it can't be anything else. That's usenet,
a whole wodge of opinion, if you can't filter out the wheat
from the chaff, you're stuffed, and in life generally. Sorry
that sounded really harsh, that wasn't the intent, but I
can't be arsed to rephrase it.

--
Mike W

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Sorry that sounded really harsh, that wasn't the intent,
> but I can't be arsed to rephrase it.

That's the other thing about Usenet, you can word your posts
as you like!

No problem here anyway :)

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

<<You forgot to add "in my opinion">>

Errrrr, no, I didn't forget. My opinion here happens to be the infallible truth.

RUBBER BANDS ARE INFERIOR TO PULL-TIES!

I think thou shalt agree.

> You forgot to add "in my opinion".

Well, it's obviously *his* opinion - rather than
someone else's.

d.

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> I've recently just fitted a cordless Sigma 1200 + RDS to
> my bike. I haven't actually gone out for a ride with it
> yet but so far I can't say I'm impressed.
>
> Firstly, the computer is attached to the bike by rubber
> bands??? That's the attachment that goes on the handlebar
> and the transmitter attached to the forks. This doesn't
> inspire confidence both for security or for secure
> fitting. Also, the fitting that attaches to the spoke,
> which the fork sensor is supposed to detect before it
> sends the signal up to the computer that a revolution has
> completed, is made of a flimsy rubber with a flimsy metal
> attachment, which doesn't look like it will last very
> long. Frankly, the design looks and feels very cheap.

IME Sigmas are excellent - and waterproof too, but
personally I'd get a wired mounting kit (Gearshift sell them
separately for about a fiver) and forget the cordless
gubbins, unless you have suspension forks or some other
compelling reason for using cordless. The rattling of the
motion switch finally drove me mad.

dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> of cyclingforums.com wrote:

><<You forgot to add "in my opinion">>
>
>Errrrr, no, I didn't forget. My opinion here happens to be
>the infallible truth.
>
>RUBBER BANDS ARE INFERIOR TO PULL-TIES!
>
>I think thou shalt agree.

I shan't. Rubber bands for fixing computers are the ideal
choice for a computer that is moved from one bike to
another. DH has a computer where both the display and the
sensor are attached by rubber bands. It's a 2 minute job
to take it off his bike so that it can be put on hire
bikes on holiday.

Rubber bands rule!
--
The good die young - because they see it's no use living
if you've got to be good. - John Barrymore

In article <4079a2d7.0@entanet>, [email protected]
says...
> IME Sigmas are excellent - and waterproof too, but
> personally I'd get a

> other compelling reason for using cordless.
I reckon most people go for cordless for aesthetic reasons.
That my opinion of course :)

> The rattling of the motion switch finally drove me mad.

I've never used a 'corded' one. Do they not have a
'motion' switch'?

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

[email protected] schreef ...

> IME Sigmas are excellent - and waterproof too, but
> personally I'd get a wired mounting kit (Gearshift sell
> them separately for about a fiver) and forget the cordless
> gubbins, unless you have suspension forks or some other
> compelling reason for using cordless. The rattling of the
> motion switch finally drove me mad.

Since when is a suspension fork a compelling reason for
using cordless? I've guided the cord of my Sigma BC 1200
(indeed, a very good make of cycle computer) via the disc
brake line to the fork leg. The brake line will (by
definition) always reach to the wheel and will move with the
suspension movement. I've had no problems until now and
we're talking about a 110 mm. fork here.

--
Regards, Marten

I have recently bought a road bike having ridden mtb's for some time. I use a really basic cateye computer, a MITY 300, which is really just a speedo but for the moment it's all I need. The problem is I need to reset it to match the diametre of the wheels of the new bike and that safe storage space for the book of words that came with it has so far eluded me. The thing works by entering a code number between 100 and 300 which then corresponds to the wheel size. The new bike runs on 700 - 23 (23 - 622) tyres, if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful! Cheers, Ben

Checkout www.cateye.com as they have all the manuals for the
computers available for download as PDF files.

Neil

"ben johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> I have recently bought a road bike having ridden mtb's for
> some time. I use a really basic cateye computer, a MITY
> 300, which is really just a speedo but for the moment it's
> all I need. The problem is I need to reset it to match the
> diametre of the wheels of the new bike and that safe
> storage space for the book of words that came with it has
> so far eluded me. The thing works by entering a code
> number between 100 and 300 which then corresponds to the
> wheel size. The new bike runs on 700
> - 23 (23 - 622) tyres, if anyone has any ideas I would be
> grateful! Cheers, Ben
>

> --

"ben johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have recently bought a road bike having ridden mtb's for
> some time. I use a really basic cateye computer, a MITY
> 300, which is really just a speedo but for the moment it's
> all I need. The problem is I need to reset it to match the
> diametre of the wheels of the new bike and that safe
> storage space for the book of words that came with it has
> so far eluded me. The thing works by entering a code
> number between 100 and 300 which then corresponds to the
> wheel size. The new bike runs on 700
> - 23 (23 - 622) tyres, if anyone has any ideas I would be
> grateful! Cheers, Ben

CatEye computers always used to ask for the *circumference*.
If you're using tyres which are *actually* 700x23, then this
will be 210cm (pi x diameter = pi[62.2+[2x2.3]]). Tyre sizes
are often pretty nominal, though - I'd measure them, which
is very simple - just roll the bike along a tape measure
laid out on the ground, measuring one wheel revolution from
valve to valve, if you see what I mean.

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.681 /
Virus Database: 443 - Release Date: 10/05/2004

Ben, The manuals are online: http://www.cateye.com/tech_sup-
port/manuals/computers/CD300DW(ENG_FR).pdf I think you need
the last page. Good luck, Ian