Cycling hates

HammerHead said:
No one has brought it up yet, so -

Squeaky chains!
yes! and squeaky botton brackets.

also...people on bike paths who come straight at you, on your side of the bike path, hogging the entire road, whether on bikes or roller blades or walking or pushing a stroller, then get upset when you motion or ask them to ride on ther own F%#&ing side of the bike path!

Ruff_Ryder said:
Hates:

Wheel suckers who use you to get home quickly. I really really hate these people and try my best to ride them off my wheel (never works).
I had one of those yesterday. When the guy saw me coming up behind him, he pulled over and coasted almost to a stop. Then about thirty seconds later I see his shadow coming up behind me. He stayed on my wheel for five miles ignoring repeated gestures to get off his lazy ass and take a pull. I dragged him over a couple of pot holes, but they weren't big enough to get the point across. Then we got up to a red light and he pulled up next to me in the turning lane. "Thanks for letting me draft.", he says. I would have beaned him with my water bottle if I wasn't so thirsty.

artmichalek said:
I had one of those yesterday. When the guy saw me coming up behind him, he pulled over and coasted almost to a stop. Then about thirty seconds later I see his shadow coming up behind me. He stayed on my wheel for five miles ignoring repeated gestures to get off his lazy ass and take a pull. I dragged him over a couple of pot holes, but they weren't big enough to get the point across. Then we got up to a red light and he pulled up next to me in the turning lane. "Thanks for letting me draft.", he says. I would have beaned him with my water bottle if I wasn't so thirsty.

What's with the wheel sucker hatred? Maybe the guy's knackered, maybe he just wants an easy ride.

Makes zero difference to your ride whether there is a guy on your tail or not. Dragging him through potholes is just poor form...

Eldron said:
What's with the wheel sucker hatred? Maybe the guy's knackered, maybe he just wants an easy ride.

Makes zero difference to your ride whether there is a guy on your tail or not. Dragging him through potholes is just poor form...
If someone wants an easy ride, they can slow down. It would have been different if the guy had come up to me and said something like, "I'm really tired, mind if I hang for a bit?" When I said hello as I passed the first time, he didn't even respond.

Eldron said:

Yeah, there is a mentality sometimes out on the road that every rider going in your direction is a competitor or threat. Now, I mean, we have all had moments of wanting to catch someone ahead of us or blow past someone...but dragging someone through dangerous road? Thats no good. I guess if I were knackered and needed to draft I would mention it to the person in front or acknowledge I had nothing to give or make a show of trying at least. But on the other hand some people really like riding alone, in which case they should just say so and let the person get off their wheel of their own accord.. I really see both sides on this one.

hombredesubaru said:
...but dragging someone through dangerous road? Thats no good.
I should have been a bit more clear on that. I would never do anything to intentionally put another person in danger. I didn't take the guy over anything that would have brought him down.

scotty72 said:
Cops who think that road rage or vehicluar violence is not serious if it is directed at a cyclist (yet they will race with sirens to a simmilar prob with a car).

Scotty
How about road rage against a cyclist coming from a cop? Yes, it happened to me!

Or how about the semi that tried to take me out on the highway? He drifted on to the shoulder at 55mph and actually touched my thigh.

Or the rednecks that passed me, pulled over on to the gravel shoulder and then shot gravel at me with the accelerator as I approached.

Or the other redneck that pulled past, got out, and wanted to fight.

There was never the slightest provocation in any of the above incidents.

How about vicious biker-eating dogs that live at the top of a half mile 10% climb? Can't outsprint them. I survive by spraying water at them.

Roller Bladers who take up both sides of the lane and don't acknowledge other people around them.

The fact that most drivers don't know how to use a blinker.

The fact that I've eaten too many bugs already.

As for people who follow me I don't care I'll just adjust my speed a bit so they have more trouble following.:D

Kazoo said:
Roller Bladers who take up both sides of the lane and don't acknowledge other people around them.

The fact that most drivers don't know how to use a blinker.

The fact that I've eaten too many bugs already.

As for people who follow me I don't care I'll just adjust my speed a bit so they have more trouble following.:D
A lot of you seem to train on multi-use paths. I always avoided these paths unless I was running. At over 20 mph, these narrow, congested paths are dangerous. It's downright rude for a cyclist (serious one, travelling at serious speeds) to train on these trails. Perhaps it's location dependent though and in some places you have no other choice for training?
That being said, it's rude for anyone on these trails not to yield the right of way.

And wheel suckers are absolutely fine except in a race. Keep in mind that many of these guys only know cycling from what they've seen on TV so have no clue about etiquette. If we treat them as criminals then we aren't being very good ambassadors to the sport.
If they have hairy legs, so be it. ;)

jyeager said:
How about road rage against a cyclist coming from a cop? Yes, it happened to me!

Or how about the semi that tried to take me out on the highway? He drifted on to the shoulder at 55mph and actually touched my thigh.

Or the rednecks that passed me, pulled over on to the gravel shoulder and then shot gravel at me with the accelerator as I approached.

How about vicious biker-eating dogs that live at the top of a half mile 10% climb? Can't outsprint them. I survive by spraying water at them.
Wow, where do you live and when are you moving?

friedmikey said:
Wow, where do you live and when are you moving?
Those were all from the old-days when I lived and trained in Minnesota. I now live in TN and the man-eating dogs are prevalent around here (It's rural).

jyeager said:
I now live in TN and the man-eating dogs are prevalent around here (It's rural).
I just moved to TN and it seems like they're everywhere around here.

hombredesubaru said:
6. rednecks who scream at you for no reason as they pass in their pickups or DUkes of Hazzerd GTO
Oh yes.

Just last week, buddy and I got called a ni**er by some white guy in a hooptie (redneck, I presume), who was honking like it was going out of business though it was on a back road with no oncoming traffic. Wasn't surprised given the part of town. Funny thing is, not being from the U.S., I was never sure how I'd react when it happened. So it happened. My first thought: "was that it?" I was confused.

Then there was a punk once who yelled at me with a bull horn. Scared the shyt out of me. I think local governments should make it mandatory to learn how to share the road with cyclists as a part of the process of getting your driver's license.

Then there are those who just honk. Half are trying to let you know they are behind you, so I think they mean well. The other half .. ?? Some guy with his wife in a miata did that, my finger went up immediately .. then he wanted to pull off. I prayed he would .. but he sped off *sigh*

Would it be wrong to carry a gun (assuming it's legal to carry one where you are?).

Eldron said:

Couldn't agree any more. I ride alone more times than not. Would actually welcome folks to ride with. I'd consider it a honor if some unknown bloke wanted to draft me.

Even better if when he/she pulls off to pass me or we stop at some obstruction, I get a "thanks for letting me draft."

I dunno where all this "etiquette" is coming from. The only people who should have a legitimate gripe are cyclists in/during a race, where drafting could give an edge ..

Consider this: on the highway, people draft all the time, though you don't really think of it as drafting since you aren't doing the work. But try an experiment if you will (albeit an elaborate). Go on a trip and draft a bigger car, then do the same route solo .. then check your gas consumption.

Race car drivers draft all the time as well, unless you are on the same team, it's frowned upon there too. Hence, my statement about recreational riders whining about people drafting them (versus racers).

...dogs, cornering on an unknown descent and finding a big patch of gravel right around the bend, and the unwarranted (i'm sure) fear i have of shaving my legs. :D

jyeager said:

Good Lord, where do you live? Arkansas or something?

Catabolic_Jones said:
Good Lord, where do you live? Arkansas or something?
All of those, except man-eating dogs was when I lived in MN. I did most of my riding about 20 miles north of St. Paul in mostly rural areas or what you might call a bedroom community.

Here in TN it's probably just as bad but the amount of time I spend on the road is far less than it was in MN, so my odds are better. Oh, and now I often carry a gun (which I'm legally licensed to do). However, gun is only to deal with a gun. I'm also a black belt and would prefer to use that method of self-defense against beligerant bike haters.

hombredesubaru said:
6. rednecks who scream at you for no reason as they pass in their pickups or DUkes of Hazzerd GTO
I resent that remark! I've got a GTO and the Dukes of Hazzard drove a Charger. Mopars are definitely more red-neck than Pontiacs! :)

FrankBattle said:
I think local governments should make it mandatory to learn how to share the road with cyclists as a part of the process of getting your driver's license.
They don't even make it mandatory to be able to drive from what I can tell around here!