Cycling to school - draft.

Latest re-working of leaflet is at:

http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

I tried the page swap -- didn't work out without breaking the design. I
played around with the NCN signs, but couldn't get them the right size
without obscuring the boy's face. I must admit, I do like the mismatched
sizes; it looks a bit less formulaic. And, like signs in real life, they
point in all sorts of directions!

May I also suggest, if we're going to do two versions (one school-specific,
one generic -- which I think is a great idea), that we complete this one
first and then use it as an outline for the next? Working on two
simultaneously could get confusing.

Perhaps John B would like to put his design skills to work on the next one?

:)

On Wed, 3 May 2006 00:33:50 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
>
>http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

I'm delighted with what you've done. I'll give copies to the
photographed children this morning.

I love the picture of the two girls. The angles of the bike frame
match the angles of the leaflet design, and showing the mechanics of
the bike portrays the right image for girls.

>I tried the page swap -- didn't work out without breaking the design. I
>played around with the NCN signs, but couldn't get them the right size
>without obscuring the boy's face. I must admit, I do like the mismatched
>sizes; it looks a bit less formulaic. And, like signs in real life, they
>point in all sorts of directions!

Lol

I thought a page swap might be problematic at this stage.

>May I also suggest, if we're going to do two versions (one school-specific,
>one generic -- which I think is a great idea), that we complete this one
>first and then use it as an outline for the next? Working on two
>simultaneously could get confusing.

I can't see many more changes that need to be made.

We could do with a decent photo of bikes in a bike shed.

The child cycling to school is not ideal, but the picture is clearly
of a child outside a school.

As someone else said, the line "getting eye contact with other road
users" is clumsy.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
>
> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

! ;-)

Looks superb, I've put that up on the Cycling & Your Child website as
the current version.

> May I also suggest, if we're going to do two versions (one school-specific,
> one generic -- which I think is a great idea), that we complete this one
> first and then use it as an outline for the next? Working on two
> simultaneously could get confusing.

I'll leave that decision to the folk doing the Actual Work, but just to
reiterate there's no problem hosting two (or more!) and optionally a set
of components for download.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
>
> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf
>
> I tried the page swap -- didn't work out without breaking the design. I
> played around with the NCN signs, but couldn't get them the right size
> without obscuring the boy's face. I must admit, I do like the mismatched
> sizes; it looks a bit less formulaic. And, like signs in real life, they
> point in all sorts of directions!

Looks great. All that is needed now is the credits (photos Tom & me.
Design Simon, words Tom, Pete JohnB?)

Possibly a credit type text under the cycle training linking to the NCS
at ctc?

It looks really good and very professional. Just hope no bike mechanics
look too closely at the flipped picture ;-)

...d

David Martin wrote:

> All that is needed now is the credits (photos Tom & me.
> Design Simon, words Tom, Pete JohnB?)
>
> Possibly a credit type text under the cycle training linking to the
> NCS at ctc?

Will do.

> It looks really good and very professional. Just hope no bike
> mechanics look too closely at the flipped picture ;-)

Hmmm... I /could/ flip it back, but it fits better this way round!

Simon Bennett wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
>> All that is needed now is the credits (photos Tom & me.
>> Design Simon, words Tom, Pete JohnB?)

> Will do.

No credit for the words for me, all I did was make a few comments and
observations.

Pete.
--

Simon Bennett wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > All that is needed now is the credits (photos Tom & me.
> > Design Simon, words Tom, Pete JohnB?)
> >
> > Possibly a credit type text under the cycle training linking to the
> > NCS at ctc?

> Will do.
>
> > It looks really good and very professional. Just hope no bike
> > mechanics look too closely at the flipped picture ;-)

> Hmmm... I /could/ flip it back, but it fits better this way round!

I agreee. It is a nice photo.

....d

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
> >
> > http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

> Looking at it again this morning, I think it definitely needs a better 'bike
> rack' shot, and it wouldn't require a flash on a nice sunny day like today
> down here. Trouble is, there's nowhere in Thanet where I can find so many
> bikes together!

I can try and get one here but it isn't so good a rack.

Any Cambridge contributors want to weild a camera, or others with a
good bike rack nearby?

...d

On Wed, 3 May 2006 09:07:11 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Bennett wrote:
>> Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
>>
>> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

>Looking at it again this morning, I think it definitely needs a better 'bike
>rack' shot, and it wouldn't require a flash on a nice sunny day like today
>down here. Trouble is, there's nowhere in Thanet where I can find so many
>bikes together!

I don't know if this will be any good.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=139808142&size=l

It was taken on the same day as the other - a cold misty December mid
morning.

in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Wed, 3 May 2006 00:33:50 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
>>
>>http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

> I gave a copy to each of the children photographed. They love it.

Brilliant leaflet, Tom.

Would you consider putting a Creative Commons licence mark on it so
people know they can copy it?
http://creativecommons.org/

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:42:48 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 May 2006 00:33:50 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Latest re-working of leaflet is at:
>>>
>>>http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev03052006.pdf

>> I gave a copy to each of the children photographed. They love it.

>Brilliant leaflet, Tom.
>
>Would you consider putting a Creative Commons licence mark on it so
>people know they can copy it?
>http://creativecommons.org/

I'm happy if everyone else who contributed is happy.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:42:48 +0100, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
> >('[email protected]') wrote:

> >> I gave a copy to each of the children photographed. They love it.

> >Brilliant leaflet, Tom.
> >
> >Would you consider putting a Creative Commons licence mark on it so
> >people know they can copy it?
> >http://creativecommons.org/

> I'm happy if everyone else who contributed is happy.

Fine by me.

...d

Tom Crispin wrote:

>> Brilliant leaflet, Tom.
>>
>> Would you consider putting a Creative Commons licence mark on it so
>> people know they can copy it?
>> http://creativecommons.org/

> I'm happy if everyone else who contributed is happy.

Not a problem.

On Sat, 6 May 2006 14:48:12 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>>> Brilliant leaflet, Tom.
>>>
>>> Would you consider putting a Creative Commons licence mark on it so
>>> people know they can copy it?
>>> http://creativecommons.org/

>> I'm happy if everyone else who contributed is happy.

>Not a problem.

Could you please put on the back page, "For further information see:
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cycletrain.htm"

Peter, for your site, details of the national standards can be found
at:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4284

Tom Crispin wrote:

> Peter, for your site, details of the national standards can be found
> at:
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4284

Now built in, thanks for the pointer. I've got most of the rest of
the pages done-ish, but the bike ones could really use some pics.
Donations welcome, or I'll borrow a digital camera and spend a dull
evening taking pictures of dull things... ;-)

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
>
> > Peter, for your site, details of the national standards can be found
> > at:
> > http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4284

> Now built in, thanks for the pointer. I've got most of the rest of
> the pages done-ish, but the bike ones could really use some pics.
> Donations welcome, or I'll borrow a digital camera and spend a dull
> evening taking pictures of dull things... ;-)

Life is busy this week, but I can loan you a camera..

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Life is busy this week, but I can loan you a camera..

Splendid! can't see much getting done before the weekend, but I'll
arrange to pick it up sometime before then so the website isn't a
text-only desert...

Ta, Pete.