Cyclists vs Dogs

[email protected] writes:

> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Try flying kites, that sends them into a total frenzy. The owners
completely fail to understand that a 5m wingspan kite doing 30-40mph
barely above the ground with 500lb test lines under a lot of tension
will do a hell of a lot of damage to Poochie if they come into
contact. They also fail to realise quite how much damage would occur
to Poochie and/or their wallet if its teeth or claws go through my
kite when it's on the ground.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

[email protected]yped

> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?

> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Yes, about 27 years ago.

I was cycling on the road by the Botanical Gardens in Sheffield.
It was rainy and I was wearing my dayglo orange jacket.

A large black labrador was taking a girl of about six for a walk. The
dog started barking and snapped at my left calf.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

I've been chased by two today, thankfully not bitten. One was a very large
white one, big dog, big bark.

Jc.

[email protected] wrote:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Bollocks. My dogs will quietly watch you passing by and will do you no
harm whatever. There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs, just
as with cyclists, or with posters to newsgroups.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:28:31 +0000, Chris Eilbeck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] writes:
>
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

>Try flying kites, that sends them into a total frenzy. The owners
>completely fail to understand that a 5m wingspan kite doing 30-40mph
>barely above the ground with 500lb test lines under a lot of tension
>will do a hell of a lot of damage to Poochie if they come into
>contact. They also fail to realise quite how much damage would occur
>to Poochie and/or their wallet if its teeth or claws go through my
>kite when it's on the ground.

I once tied a kite to the end of my brother's dog's lead (with the
spaniel attached). The result was comical.

[email protected] wrote:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Not whilst cycling, but one dog (well french yappy thing - does that
count?) almost got a 4 paw amputation when it went for my ankles when I
was skiing in France.
Always thought there was another reason why modern skis are called
"carvers" ;)

--
AndyM

[email protected] wrote:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?

If you're getting bitten by cyclists while on the bike, well I suggest you
treat your stokers with more respect.

> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Some do, most don't.

I got a nip off a sheepdog when I took a wrong turn in Ireland once, down to
a farmhouse at the bottom of a cul-de-sac. Never anything else, though.

Tom Crispin <[email protected]> writes:

> I once tied a kite to the end of my brother's dog's lead (with the
> spaniel attached). The result was comical.

You're a bad man, a very bad man! ;o)

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

[email protected] wrote in news:1170436547.187934.154900
@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Not IME. The majority of dogs I see while out on the bike are docile and
friendly. That said, most dogs are good judges of character. If you exude
hatred or otherwise give them reason to consider you a threat, they'll act
accordingly.

Brian G wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.
>>

> Bollocks. My dog(s) will quietly watch you passing by and will do you no
> harm whatever. There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs, just
> as with cyclists, or with posters to newsgroups.

Ditto

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Other way round ...I once hit a dog!
I was doing about 25mph on a cycle lane and this (illegally) unleashed
labrador decided to run across the path and then suddenly STOP and look like
a rabbit caught in headlights as I, despite braking hard and screaming in
horror, smacked into the poor thing...it went head-over-heels yelping.

Since then I find almost every dog well-behaved!

[email protected] wrote on 02/02/2007 17:15:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?

Never been bitten but (perhaps because I'm just wary when on a bike
anyway) I'm paranoid about hitting one. I've had one leap out in front
of me when cycling round a lake before now, which was a near miss, and
now I slow for any dog, even when accompanied by an owner. I don't want
to hit one, particularly if it's running around near my wheels. I had
one follow me a few tens of metres down a track relatively recently; it
was just to the right of my rear wheel and I nearly stopped before it
ran off.

I'm not sure how else to deal with them...

Peter

<><

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Take off your pump and hit the buggers on the nose, that puts them off.

That is what we used to do if there were a number of us out cycling!

Alan

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.
>>

> Bollocks. My dogs will quietly watch you passing by and will do you no
> harm whatever. There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs, just
> as with cyclists, or with posters to newsgroups.

Not all dogs are the same!

Alan

On 02/02/2007 17:15, [email protected] said,
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?

No, but if a dog is running about I usually find talking to the dog has
more effect that talking to the owners - I think the dogs have more
sense :) Last time I was attacked by a dog was when on my MTB in my
local woods - I almost got slobbered to death, and the owner was very
apologetic. The fact that I was plastered with mud so the slobber
didn't really matter escaped her!

> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

The dogs? Or the owners?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

I come into contact with them on the Fallowfield Loop, a kind of shared
path thingy without dividing lines (prolly the most sensible way to do it).
I slow down lots, and they move dog over to side of path and we both say
thanks. Every time. It's weird.

"Mark Thompson"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

> I come into contact with them on the Fallowfield Loop, a kind of shared
> path thingy without dividing lines (prolly the most sensible way to do
> it).
> I slow down lots, and they move dog over to side of path and we both say
> thanks. Every time. It's weird.

I tread all dog owners with suspicion and awareness. Beware the lady with
her yappy mutt! Beware the guy with his 3 unleashed "greyhounds" ( they are
total chasers). Certainly beware the humans who totally disregard any
"friendly -- not so friendly -- hey have you heard my horn " with a dog
foraging god knows where

One of my worst experiences was somewhere on the Rhein last year with a man
with a totally uncontrollable pup who nipped my heels and rabbitied me for
about 50 meters. It wasn't until I stopped, got off. and picked the mutt up
and made to thrown the beast into the Rhein about 1 metre away that the man
deigned to understand my very fluent German.

my firm opinion with dog is that if I am bitten my instant retaliation may
be fatal for the dog.

Most of them are dirty, sh*t spreading , evil smelling, flea carrying.
wolves in miniature

But above all -- beware the lady who keeps saying "He wouldn't hurt a fly"
as the mutt has his teeth in your ankle.

Stamp on its head! ( Now I shall be flamed! )

I totally object to being ****** on, sniffed at, leaped up at, licked at, by
"friendly dogs" they are dirty smelly and disease caring creatures.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Pinky wrote on 02/02/2007 20:58 +0100:

> Most of them are dirty, sh*t spreading , evil smelling, flea carrying.
> wolves in miniature

And in Europe potentially carry rabies.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

On 02/02/2007 20:58, Pinky said,

> Most of them are dirty, sh*t spreading , evil smelling, flea carrying.
> wolves in miniature

> I totally object to being ****** on, sniffed at, leaped up at, licked at, by
> "friendly dogs" they are dirty smelly and disease caring creatures.

You don't like dogs then? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/