Cyclists vs Dogs

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes
>Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>creatures whilst on the bike?
>
>They always go nuts when you cycle by.

I've not been troubled by dogs while I'm cycling, although I was
attacked by a dog about a year ago as I walked through a local park. It
ran at me and started snapping at my ankle - no pain but it was
definitely trying to bite through my trouser leg. I gave it a good kick,
which persuaded it to return to its owner, who was sitting on a nearby
bench.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:15:47 -0800, davidchase314 wrote:

> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched creatures
> whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Viscious dogs are usually accompanied by tossers, losers and those of that
ilk. When the dog has a "fit" at someone the dogs cretinous owners
invariably deny knowledge of the stupid beasts viscious personality.
We as a society could do without the both of them.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:55:20 +0000, Brian G wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched creatures
>> whilst on the bike?
>>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.
>>

> Bollocks. My dogs will quietly watch you passing by and will do you no
> harm whatever. There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs, just
> as with cyclists, or with posters to newsgroups.

Most importantly THE OWNERS are responsible. When ever I've encountered a
viscious dog the owner is usually a chav or a pitiful excuse for a human -
all apologies and denying knowledge of the beast. They're as pathetic as
the animal and should be rounded up and kenneled themselves.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

"mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:40:13 +0000, Noel wrote:
>

>> PS Not sure if anyone has this problem but half of this thread is not
>> appearing in my news reader (Pan) but it does show up in Google?
>> Probably
>> just a cache problem here.

> I sometimes have this problem, don't know why. I just click on the left
> "get headers" button and download all headers for the last 2 days or so.

I download all the headers every time I log on!

On 2007-02-02, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pinky wrote on 02/02/2007 20:58 +0100:
>>
>> Most of them are dirty, sh*t spreading , evil smelling, flea carrying.
>> wolves in miniature
>>

> And in Europe potentially carry rabies.

If you think dogs in Britain are a problem, you should try cycling in
Greece. There is information about this on my website
(www.acampbell.org.uk/cycling) together with the measures I take when in
Greece.

I've never actually been bitten, although a cousin of my wife's was
bitten when walking in suburb of Athens. But I've often been chased and
threatened by Greek dogs.

The rabies issue is a real one. Once in the French Pyrenees I stopped at
a garden gate to ask a woman the way, and her small dog tried to bite
me; however, it made the mistake of biting my leg lengthwise rather than
traversely so failed to get a grip so the skin was unbroken if a bit
red.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [email protected]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:52:57 +0000, PeterC wrote:
> Like Welsh farm dogs? Hell of a shock - a Welsh collie at the side of the
> road looked at me, put a paw up and sort of cringed. I stopped and made a
> fuss of her - it was worth the mud on my legs and shorts just for th look
> in her eyes. anyway, a collie will fit into a sandwich.

Border collies at least obey the number one rule of dogs - there should be space
underneath :p Any dog you can pocket is not a dog.

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: [email protected]

On 02/02/2007 22:52, PeterC said,

> Like Welsh farm dogs? Hell of a shock

A slightly different experience to you - in North Wales I was pootling
along a very narrow road, when a Collie appeared in front of me looking
very aggressive. I kept going slowly, and this dog bounced up at the
side of me growling and barking very worringly. I got past, then felt
this bang behind me.

All I can say is that I was glad I was in my car and not walking or
cycling, and the teeth marks are still in my rear bumper!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:02:31 +0000, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 02/02/2007 22:52, PeterC said,
>
>> Like Welsh farm dogs? Hell of a shock

>A slightly different experience to you - in North Wales I was pootling
>along a very narrow road, when a Collie appeared in front of me looking
>very aggressive. I kept going slowly, and this dog bounced up at the
>side of me growling and barking very worringly. I got past, then felt
>this bang behind me.
>
>All I can say is that I was glad I was in my car and not walking or
>cycling, and the teeth marks are still in my rear bumper!

On the other hand, the dog's dentist probably got a nice holiday out of it :)

On Feb 2, 5:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Wife got bitten by a pointer sized dog from an illegal pikies camp (on
a bridleway) - single bite with skin punctures and extensive bruising
- dog had been left on a chain that wasn't that well fasted :( -
aparently several people got bitten on the same evening (I cycled by
it 30s before - must have primed it for the next target...)
Later on, same month, same bridleway, different pikey camp and much
heavier dog took chase after me for about 200 yards - MTB's can
sprint, oh yes :)

On 3 Feb 2007 10:44:05 -0800, squeaker wrote:

> Wife got bitten by a pointer sized dog from an illegal pikies camp (on
> a bridleway) - single bite with skin punctures and extensive bruising

Similar on a BW near Northampton, except that the dog was a terrier about
10" high. It fastened itself to my ankle, making 3 wounds. I was on fixed
at the time, so the dog was being banged up and down a bit. We got to the
end of its chain and it sort of let go.
The 'human' idiots offered medical tratment, but looking at the place I
preferred the dog's saliva.
All was well shortly after - we were in the pub :)
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

PeterC wrote:

> The 'human' idiots offered medical tratment, but looking at the place I
> preferred the dog's saliva.

They do say a dog bite is much cleaner than a human one. Not that I want
to test the theory.
Memories of shepherds in the Picos chortling as their dogs chased me up
the mountains. On more than one occasion - it seems to be a local
pastime...

Dan Gregory <[email protected]> writes:

> PeterC wrote:
>
>> The 'human' idiots offered medical tratment, but looking at the
>> place I preferred the dog's saliva.

> They do say a dog bite is much cleaner than a human one. Not that I
> want to test the theory.

That's what they found on Mythbusters.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

See if a dog attacked you whilst you were cycling would it be ok to
put its head in with a crowbar?

Surely you'd only be defending yourself, and if a dogs biting people
then its better off dead.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> See if a dog attacked you whilst you were cycling would it be ok to
> put its head in with a crowbar?

If you didn't have a good reason to be carrying a crowbar I hope you'd
be done for carrying an offensive weapon or going equipped to steal. At
what point does chasing and barking/growling become an attack?

> Surely you'd only be defending yourself, and if a dogs biting people
> then its better off dead.

Depends who it's biting and why.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> See if a dog attacked you whilst you were cycling would it be ok to
>> put its head in with a crowbar?

> If you didn't have a good reason to be carrying a crowbar I hope you'd
> be done for carrying an offensive weapon or going equipped to steal. At
> what point does chasing and barking/growling become an attack?

You do not need to be carrying a crowbar, just use your pump!

Assuming you have a proper bike with a decent pump!

On Feb 2, 12:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

I have run into a few that come charging out of the driveway or across
the lawn when riding in the country but a firm loud NO! seems to
work. I use NO since No and Non when screamed loudly sound much the
same and I used to ride in a bilingual English/French environment and
one could never tell which language the dog spoke (well, understood
anyway).

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

In news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Never been bitten, though the deep V8 growl of the wolf[1] which chased me
on a night-time section of the Invicta 400 last year suggested that Legs of
Larrington would have been on the menu had I not put in a sprint worthy of
Super Mario at his best. And I was once obliged to punch a black labrabor
on the conk after its idiot owner decided to let go of its lead /before/
we'd all gone past.

As to the antics of dickbrains who should not be permitted to own a gerbil,
still less a dog, I refer The Panel to a post wot I wrote in here some time
ago:

So there is my mate Ian, riding his Windcheetah recumbent trike along
Boundary Road, E17, this being one of the less genteel areas of The 'stow.
Outside a pub are some Oiks, one of whom has a dog, doubtless called "Tyson"
or "Rambo". Oik thinks it would be amusing to see Tyson / Rambo feasting on
Haunch of Telecom Technician, so unleashed the hound, with a cry of "Get
'im!"

The sound of claws clicking on the pavement lent Ian wings, and a mighty
sprint ensued. However, Tyson / Rambo was not to be put off, and launched a
last despairing lunge at the rapidly-departing trike. Alas for the
creature, this obliged him to leave the pavement and cross the road, a
region also occupied by a fast-moving Transit van...

> *** THUMP *** <

Ian reported that he did not go back to enquire about Tyson / Rambo's
wellbeing, but on recounting this tale to Richard Ballantine, the latter
shook him warmly by the hand, saying simply "Congratulations".

--
Dave Larrington
While you were out at the Rollright Stones, I came and set fire

[Adds missing footnote]

1 - anyone who maintains that there are no wolves in Kent is this: wrong.

--
Dave Larrington
The elder stoat leads, in all circumstances.

On 2007-02-04, John Kane <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 12:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

> I have run into a few that come charging out of the driveway or across
> the lawn when riding in the country but a firm loud NO! seems to
> work. I use NO since No and Non when screamed loudly sound much the
> same and I used to ride in a bilingual English/French environment and
> one could never tell which language the dog spoke (well, understood
> anyway).
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Greek dogs appear to understand English swearing.

Anthony

On 2007-02-05 09:11:26 +0000, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> said:

> [Adds missing footnote]
>
> 1 - anyone who maintains that there are no wolves in Kent is this: wrong.

That was probably the deep growl of a 14 year old chav princess seeking
impregnation.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk