Cyclists vs Dogs

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> writes:

> On 02/02/2007 20:58, Pinky said,
>
>> Most of them are dirty, sh*t spreading , evil smelling, flea
>> carrying. wolves in miniature

>> I totally object to being ****** on, sniffed at, leaped up at,
>> licked at, by "friendly dogs" they are dirty smelly and disease
>> caring creatures.

> You don't like dogs then? :)

Funny, I kind of got that impression too!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:28:31 +0000, Chris Eilbeck
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] writes:
>>
>>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>>
>>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

>>Try flying kites, that sends them into a total frenzy. The owners
>>completely fail to understand that a 5m wingspan kite doing 30-40mph
>>barely above the ground with 500lb test lines under a lot of tension
>>will do a hell of a lot of damage to Poochie if they come into
>>contact. They also fail to realise quite how much damage would occur
>>to Poochie and/or their wallet if its teeth or claws go through my
>>kite when it's on the ground.

> I once tied a kite to the end of my brother's dog's lead (with the
> spaniel attached). The result was comical.

Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
you to?

It has removed 574 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

burt wrote:

> Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
> you to?

RSPB?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?

No. On then whole I like dogs and they like me.

> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

Not in my experience, apart from the occasional mad farm dog that likes
to play.

Pinky wrote:
> I totally object to [these] disease caring creatures.

What? Disease caring? Like nurses? ;)

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:15:47 -0800, davidchase314 wrote:

> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?

My Dad had a very scary encounter recently when a rottweiler came straight
for him in the road and sunk its teeth into his calf muscle. He had three
large puncture wounds and was extremely lucky the dog didn't get a better
grip and he managed to get away at speed.

The owners were extremely apologetic and placating but still insisted that
their lovely family pet would never hurt anyone. They live a few roads
away from my parents in a suburban district so the police have not been
involved - yet.

The beast was supposed to be kept behind two sets of gates but managed to
get past the first set and was then loose in the driveway when the
automatic gates opened to let a car out - just as my Dad rode past.

In light of all the horrific attacks on children over the last few months,
the scariest part of the whole episode is the owners insistence that their
dog would never hurt anyone despite the clear evidence to the contrary.
A child cycling past rather than my leathery Dad... it doesn't bear
thinking about.

Cheers
Noel

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:17:34 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>

> No. On then whole I like dogs and they like me.
>
>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.
>>

> Not in my experience, apart from the occasional mad farm dog that likes
> to play.

Like Welsh farm dogs? Hell of a shock - a Welsh collie at the side of the
road looked at me, put a paw up and sort of cringed. I stopped and made a
fuss of her - it was worth the mud on my legs and shorts just for th look
in her eyes. anyway, a collie will fit into a sandwich.
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

Noel wrote:

> The owners were extremely apologetic and placating but still insisted that
> their lovely family pet would never hurt anyone.

Which is clearly not the case.

> They live a few roads away from my parents in a suburban district so the police have not been
> involved - yet.

What has relative geographical location got to do with it? The dog needs
to be sorted out; these days that means a destruction order I guess.
Still, that's life...

> it doesn't bear thinking about.

Indeed, witness recent events in Liverpool. take no chances I say, and I
speak as guardian of two "dirty, sh*t spreading , evil smelling, flea
carrying wolves in miniature"(1). No place for biting dogs or rather,
dogs that bite people - not vice-versa :) in polite society. Certainly
not in an urban/suburban environment. Tell the police.

bfn,

Tony B

Alan Holmes wrote:
> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
>>> creatures whilst on the bike?
>>>
>>> They always go nuts when you cycle by.
>>>

>> Bollocks. My dogs will quietly watch you passing by and will do you no
>> harm whatever. There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs, just
>> as with cyclists, or with posters to newsgroups.

> Not all dogs are the same!

I believe I wrote <There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs>.
In what way does that imply that all dogs are the same?

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:29:28 +0000, Tony B wrote:

> What has relative geographical location got to do with it? The dog needs
> to be sorted out; these days that means a destruction order I guess.
> Still, that's life...

Well this is what I meant about how scary it is that the owners still
will not accept any notion that their dog has the potential to be a
child/person killer. My Dad is trying to be neighbourly and bring them
round to understanding the menace it poses and allow them to act
independently.

Of course if that fails (as it seems to be) then it is time to head out
guns blazing (metaphorically speaking of course :)

Cheers

PS Not sure if anyone has this problem but half of this thread is not
appearing in my news reader (Pan) but it does show up in Google? Probably
just a cache problem here.

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:12:31 +0000, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:

>burt wrote:
>
>> Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
>> you to?

>RSPB?

Isn't that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birds?

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:40:13 +0000, Noel wrote:

> PS Not sure if anyone has this problem but half of this thread is not
> appearing in my news reader (Pan) but it does show up in Google? Probably
> just a cache problem here.

I sometimes have this problem, don't know why. I just click on the left
"get headers" button and download all headers for the last 2 days or so.

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura Ace 10

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:29:29 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:

>Alan Holmes wrote:
>> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Bollocks. My dogs will quietly watch you passing by and will do you no
>>> harm whatever. There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs, just
>>> as with cyclists, or with posters to newsgroups.

>> Not all dogs are the same!
>>

>I believe I wrote <There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs>.
> In what way does that imply that all dogs are the same?

I think he was agreeing with you (that's how I read it). Possibly with some
allusion to there being good cyclists/motorists and bad (red light jumping,
anyone?).

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:26:01 GMT,
Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pinky wrote:
>> I totally object to [these] disease caring creatures.

> What? Disease caring? Like nurses? ;)

Sure dogs are very therapeutic. Don't they sometimes bring them into
hospitals and nursing homes so patients can stroke them? It is supposed
to lower blood pressure. There has also been research that dog saliva
is beneficial against E. Coli and Strep. Canis. Of course other
diseases may also be spread by the same method.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

<[email protected]> wrote:

>burt wrote:
>
>> Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
>> you to?

>RSPB?

Etymology question:

Did the hi tech fabric and carbon fibre structure/canvas and string
toy get its name from the bird of prey?

EMNTK.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote on 03/02/2007 11:55 +0100:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:12:31 +0000, Dan Gregory
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> burt wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
>>> you to?

>> RSPB?

> Etymology question:
>
> Did the hi tech fabric and carbon fibre structure/canvas and string
> toy get its name from the bird of prey?

According to the OED, yes.

3. a. [From its hovering in the air like the bird.] A toy consisting of
a light frame, usually of wood, with paper or other light thin material
stretched upon it; mostly in the form of an isosceles triangle with a
circular arc as base, or a quadrilateral symmetrical about the longer
diagonal; constructed (usually with a tail of some kind for the purpose
of balancing it) to be flown in a strong wind by means of a long string
attached.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ewan wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:12:31 +0000, Dan Gregory
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> burt wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
>>> you to?

>> RSPB?

> Isn't that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birds?

Isn't the kite a bird?
:))

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:55:22 +0000, Tim Hall
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:12:31 +0000, Dan Gregory
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>burt wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there some organisation against cruelty to kites that we could report
>>> you to?

>>RSPB?

>Etymology question:
>
>Did the hi tech fabric and carbon fibre structure/canvas and string
>toy get its name from the bird of prey?
>
>EMNTK.

I think so, yes.

The fabric structure was named after the bird because of the way they
both soar. The mathematical shape was named after the fabric
structure because of its shape.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you ever managed to get yourself bitten by these wretched
> creatures whilst on the bike?
>
> They always go nuts when you cycle by.

On one occasion, a young Doberman off the leash - taken for a walk by a
couple decided to chase my heels, however with the wind, behind I managed to
keep just out of reach of it's teeth. The Doberman's owners kept calling for
him to return, but he was so involved in the pursuit that only after 2 miles
he finally gave up. I don't know if he was ever reunited with his owners.
Well, I clocked the dog doing up to 25mph, but with a good breeze behind it
was fun. I don't know what I would have done if he had caught up or the wind
in the opposite direction.
Fred

Ewan wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:29:29 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Alan Holmes wrote:

>>> Not all dogs are the same!
>>>

>> I believe I wrote <There are well-behaved dogs and badly-behaved dogs>.
>> In what way does that imply that all dogs are the same?

> I think he was agreeing with you (that's how I read it). Possibly with some
> allusion to there being good cyclists/motorists and bad (red light jumping,
> anyone?).

Much too subtle for me, then ;-)

--
Brian G