death stares

roll on

Nov 18, 2006
:eek: unfortunatley ,the backward waring baseball hat. small pick up truck drivers with a certin genetic look about them, can't or wont ever read this.
did you ever get a death stare from this type? even if the wrap around yellow sunglasses match nothing but their teeth? the other day my riding partner and i were enjoying a gem of a late autum day ride.there was not a soul in site.the back country road was quite and all the farm fields are ready for winter.when all of a sudden this silvin ride was interupted by this hick.we were not hogging the road by any means.all though cyclists have been known to pose a threat to the one tuff guy you may meet all day.you know the old saying"if looks could kill".we thought he was going to get out and do something? he just flipped us off ,and politley asked us to "get the f*#@ out of the road" slowed down ,gave us another death stare and was on his way. that was perfect.we had something to laugh about .it went along well with our after ride pints....happy trails ...beware, they are out there!

Why yes, just the other day, almost exactly as you described. F#@*ing tough guys, why don't they stop so we can hit them in the eyes with Halt and proceed to pummel the **** out of them?

Get one of those jerseys that says US Army or your national flag. That's the antidote to it.

Get one of those jerseys that says US Army or your national flag. That's the antidote to it.
Loving that lol! Might have to get a UK army one if i can find one! If not ill make one lol

roll on said:
:eek: unfortunatley ,the backward waring baseball hat. small pick up truck drivers with a certin genetic look about them, can't or wont ever read this.
did you ever get a death stare from this type? even if the wrap around yellow sunglasses match nothing but their teeth? the other day my riding partner and i were enjoying a gem of a late autum day ride.there was not a soul in site.the back country road was quite and all the farm fields are ready for winter.when all of a sudden this silvin ride was interupted by this hick.we were not hogging the road by any means.all though cyclists have been known to pose a threat to the one tuff guy you may meet all day.you know the old saying"if looks could kill".we thought he was going to get out and do something? he just flipped us off ,and politley asked us to "get the f*#@ out of the road" slowed down ,gave us another death stare and was on his way. that was perfect.we had something to laugh about .it went along well with our after ride pints....happy trails ...beware, they are out there!
here in Colorado we get a lot of angry honkers usually it occurs in 4 lane traffic with no cars coming in the opposite direction IOW they just like making a point we're not wanted on the road. Although most drivers are respectful. Even had an 18 wheeler on Saturday wait until our large group crested a short riser and so he could see oncoming traffic before he passed us. when he did he was entirely on the other side of the road. for those folks I wish I could offer something more than a friendly wave.

JS

:)

You are all spot on with pickup truck driver's, Isn't it amazing here in north America, we have the widest road's and this worst class of driver's. If you check
out the rear bed of a p.truck, you won't see any scratches, they are not even
using them for it's intended purpose. What a waste of money and fuel! Just my
two cents worth. Cheer's.

velo711 said:
:)

You are all spot on with pickup truck driver's, Isn't it amazing here in north America, we have the widest road's and this worst class of driver's. If you check
out the rear bed of a p.truck, you won't see any scratches, they are not even
using them for it's intended purpose. What a waste of money and fuel! Just my
two cents worth. Cheer's.

I know exactly what you mean. Another habit is jacking the truck up so that you need a step ladder to get into it. Anyone under 5'11" can forget about it. I guess it's the new California status symbol: a Ford F250 with a four doors and a spotless bed just to prove that you don't NEED to work for your bling. It's cool to be 50 lbs overweight, but if you have the truck, you're somehow still cool.

benkoostra said:

Why heap embarrasment from wearing such a jersey on top of the anger from encountering a small brained driver?

Death stares from these guys? I had a run in with some guy who flipped me off and then threw his soda at me through the window. I would've beat him up, but he wouldn't stop like I asked (or, yelled) him to do. What a *****! Anyways, that's not what bugs me, it's usually women who I get the stink eye from. They just give you that nasty face look... and I hate that more than getting yelled at or honked at.

an old farmer guy slowed down to yell at me from his pickup the other day. i find that pointing at them and laughing really gets under their skin....which makes me laugh even more.

on the bike path 2 days ago i was approaching 2 teens walking towards me. (this was in the gang-banger area of aurora, il) one was walking his pit-bull half breed (shocker). they were walking side by side and the kid holding the leash purposely kept looking away and letting more leash out. i just missed the dog by less than a foot. too bad it wasn't the kid i almost hit. i wouldn't have felt bad about hurting him.

alienator said:
Why heap embarrasment from wearing such a jersey on top of the anger from encountering a small brained driver?
not only embarassment, but more anger for wearing such a silly thing.

roll on said:
Sorry to just clip-and-edit this posting I made in another thread [Re: NSW cyclist critically injured when hit by a bus]:

UNFORTUNATELY, some drivers (thankfully, a minuscule minority) have so much disdain for cyclists that it doesn't matter ...

The problem with the irregular drivers begins in their youth ... issues of one sort or another -- mostly socio-economic, by my reckoning.

For example, a couple of seasons ago, I was coasting along on a hard shoulder on a section of the famed Route 66 (well away from "white line" which separates the roadway from the shoulder) because I was approaching an intersection which feeds to freeway "entrance" when a pickup truck passed me and some young (probably, 8-to-11 year old) kid (could have been a girl!) stuck his/her head out the window and screamed "get off the f**king road" -- nice parenting skills involved in bringing up that kid, huh?

As the Rogers & Hammerstein lyric states:

"you've got to be taught to hate & fear ..."

The learning begins at the kitchen table ... legislation only effects the law abiding majority & the legislation would only result in more Red Neck resentment ...

There is undoubtedly a group of people in the American South who still resent the Civil Rights movement & subsequent legislation FORTY YEARS after the fact and undoubtedly the expression is subsequently covert ...

No doubt, that kid-in-the-pickup is going to be as much of a credit to our society as his/her parents already are if s/he doesn't huff him-/herself to death or become a meth addict.

though I understand, as I have recieved those types of looks... and usually comments, honks, shouts, sometimes followed by "go Lance!!" sarcasm... I must say that I am a small pick-up driving, baseball cap wearing (though I wear mine correctly) guy ;) and I have facial hair (and I'm a roadie!).
:p

alienator said:
I meant it as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but it would keep the rednecks at bay. Maybe.:D
I guess you feel it's better to keep your pride in tact than your body. I disagree. I'd rather suffer a little embarrassment than be assaulted by assholes in big trucks.

so NOW you're prejudiced against me!

what exactly is wrong with being an a**hole in a big truck? I'M an a**hole in a big truck.

Obviously it means you have a tiny pecker, and are a gear-head wannabe.

Any other questions?

benkoostra said:

Any other questions?
I drive a big truck, but mine is painted with a flat coat of paint (none of that shiny mess) because I got tired of having to fix scratches. With the flat coat and no clear, it's just point and shoot to fix it, no buffing. The purpose of my driving a big ass truck is so I can get around on the farm, and I also use it to tow my jeep when I really want to play off road. Bikes are supposed to look nice and shiny, not big slow trucks. As a driver of a large pickup, let me express my annoyance at people who always ask "how do you get in that thing?" ummmm.... probably the exact same way anybody else would get in their car... one foot at a time, dumbass.

Oh my god!!! I can't believe you hit this subject so squarely ion the head Roll On. It's not the ones in the big trucks you have to worry about, it's the ones in the shitty little nearly collapsed S10's with tinted windows that are the biggest assholes. In Arkansas we have so many of these little jailbaits that I have trouble keeping up with the ones I recognize locally. Invariably their destination seems to be the Vineyard. Excuse me sir, don't let my life get in the way of your next thirty-pack and hit of meth.

benkoostra said:

Any other questions?
hehehe. just one. can i be just like you?

very clever...and original.