Difference in Kcal between men and women

big_h

Oct 24, 2001
Hi

I have a Polar S210 HRM and have used it now successfully for one and a half years. We recently purchased a Polar M21 for my wife. Why is there such a marked difference between the Kcal that I consume and the Kcal's that my wife consume. This really puzzles me. Another myth that has now been busted is that "the stoker on a tandem....especially if it is your wife.....dos not work" Whns I look at her average it shows that she gives more than her due and I admire her for it.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!

Big H

Big_h:

The average man has more muscle than the average woman. That's why men burn more calories than women, and can eat more without getting fat. The harder you exercise, the more calories you will burn also.

Your wife may be working harder for her size than you are, hence the surpise in calories burned.

She may be putting out more watts/kilogram of bodyweight than you, even though you may be capable of putting out more watts overall.

What are your numbers???

Hi Big H

My experience that the calorie output calulated by your HRM is really only usefull as a relative measure.
I am not sure it is accurate enough to compare two individual people with each other.
The numbers are very sensitive to the activity settings.

Leon

Hi

Went spinning tonight and our figures were as follows:-

Our exercise time was 53 minutes

My wife's stats were as follows (Polar M21):-

24 minutes in her zone (143 - 109) MHR 0f 185 ave Hr of 140, Kcal of 372 with 30% fat

My stats as follows(Polar S210):-

Ave HR of 107 MHR of 170, Kcal 633

I did not have my limits switched on and our session was a "soft" one. We both did not go hard as we started with Gym Crosstraining on Monday and are extremely stiff.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H