dodgy headset(I think)

stevie b

May 13, 2005
just been trying to maintain the headset on my road bike(for the first time) and was able to remove both the bottom & top races with my fingers, I am assuming that this is bad and that the headset needs replacing.
If you know anything about this stuff any advise would be appreciated:confused:

stevie b said:
just been trying to maintain the headset on my road bike(for the first time) and was able to remove both the bottom & top races with my fingers, I am assuming that this is bad and that the headset needs replacing.

If you're talking about removing the headset bearing races from the head tube, you won't be able remove then with your bare hands. They'e pressed in and you'll need to tap them out. I use a piece of brass rod.

Stick the rod down through the top of the head tube (if you're removing the bottom race for example) and catch the "lip" of the portion of the lower race that's inside the head tube with the end of the rod. Tap the opposite end of the rod with a hammer. Repeat this while moving the rod around the diameter of the race. It'll knock the bearing race right out of there. Then flip the frame and do the same with the top race.

meehs said:
If you're talking about removing the headset bearing races from the head tube, you won't be able remove then with your bare hands. They'e pressed in and you'll need to tap them out. I use a piece of brass rod.

Stick the rod down through the top of the head tube (if you're removing the bottom race for example) and catch the "lip" of the portion of the lower race that's inside the head tube with the end of the rod. Tap the opposite end of the rod with a hammer. Repeat this while moving the rod around the diameter of the race. It'll knock the bearing race right out of there. Then flip the frame and do the same with the top race.
cheers meehs

I thank you for taking the time reply to my querry and you have answered it a round about way.I have actually removed bearing with my bare hands and didn't think that i should've been able to,thanks again

stevie b said:
cheers meehs

I thank you for taking the time reply to my querry and you have answered it a round about way.I have actually removed bearing with my bare hands and didn't think that i should've been able to,thanks again

Ahh, sorry! I misread your original post (obviously). I thought you were trying to remove the races with your bare hands and they wouldn't come out. Yeah, I don't think you should be able to pull the races out with your bare hands. I've never seen that happen. I'm not sure if the problem is with the races or your headtube though. If you try a different headset and the races slip right in without needing to be pressed in, that's no good.

stevie b said:
Is it an integrated headset?

stevie b said:
yes it is a integrated 1-1/8 ahead headset
If it's an integrated headset and the bearings are not sealed the cups should come out easily. They are not press fit. Is it Campagnolo? If they are sealed bearings there are no cups just the sealed bearing units, and the should also come out easily.

I'm no expert on these things,in fact i've just worked up the courage to start pulling my pride and joy apart, but i think they must be sealed units( because i can't see the bearings),the bike has full ultegra as standard so i am assuming that the headset is the same,as i said i don't mind tinkering but now that i have had a couple of different suggestions i am going to bottle it and pay a man to do the ugly stuff for me