Does last stage matter?

spokeking said:
QBA

In the Tour, the last stage is traditionally Ceremonial. The winner is ultimately decided in the final time trial. There is some attacking that goes on when the peloton reaches Paris, but it is mainly the sprinter's teams who are going for points in the Green Jersey competition.

The team of the yellow jersey will be watchful not to let any top GC Contenders get off the front. Also, the stage is flat, so there won't be any major time gaps anyway.

Cycling has lots of unwritten rules, gentlemen's agreements, and codes of conduct that the riders and teams adhere to.

Similar to stealing a base in base ball late in the game when you are ahead several runs.

Thanks guys for all the answers, I read it all carefully and I'll use the last answer by roundsquare1 to share with you guys so far where I stand after all this :)

roundsquare1 said:
Similar to stealing a base in base ball late in the game when you are ahead several runs.

I personally disagree with that analogy, because is not about Armstrong trying to win the last stage, is about the people close to him on the overall points trying to win the tour.

Bringing baseball into this, I think a better analogy would be: Why the team with one run behind wouldn't try to steal the home base on the 9th inning?
I wouldn't understand if the baseball team behind would say: Well, the other team fought hard to be 4 runs ahead through the last eight innings so in honor to good sportsmanship, let's them win the game and play this last 9th inning as a ceremonial one.

If some one is smart enough and quick enough to make up 3 or 4 minutes on the last stage and win the tour good for him

Some one mention that if on the last stage people try to race for the tour, the winner could have a crash, and it wouldn’t be fair for some one to take the win from him. Crashing and losing enough minutes to lose the race because of it, should be part of the risk that come with the sport he choose to play. If in track and field some one lost the baton, or if you trip and fall in the middle of a 100 meters race, all that is part of the risk of being on that sport, and not one does or should slow down for you

I think that the race shouldn't be over until is over :)

Thanks
Alex

I tend to think otherwise, myself. One of the more chivalrous customs of cycling is that you don't benefit from your competitor's misfortune. You win on ability, not luck. The habit of waiting for the race leader or contender if they crash is the best example of this.

Think about Ullrich on Luz Ardiden 2003. Fifteen seconds out of the MJ, at the top of his form, with only one last time trial before the end of the race. Lance crashes, there must have been a great temptation to kick it, win the tour that had escaped him for the previous few years, and knock Lance out of #5. But, Jan didn't. In truth, Lance's sprint after the crash would have nullified some of that advantage, and the leaders probably welcomed the rest, but the gesture was still made when the results were so critical. I've watched that stage numerous times, and am still nothing but impressed with the character that Jan showed that day.

This habit of frowning on opportunism, of behaving in a gentlemanly way even when the stakes are so high, is one of the reasons I find pro cycling so fascinating. It echoes a time when simply winning was not good enough, when strong character counted for something, and carries with it the promise that cycling may yet rise above the doping scandals.

QBA said:
Some mention that if on the last stage people try to race for the tour, the winner could have a crash, and it wouldn’t be fair for some one to take the win from him. Crashing and losing enough minutes to lose the race because of it, should be part of the risk that come with the sport he choose to play. If in track and field some one lost the baton, or if you trip and fall in the middle of a 100 meters race, all that is part of the risk of being on that sport, and not one does or should slow down for you

I think that the race shouldn't be over until is over :)

Thanks
Alex

Thanks JohnO,

I think that having difference of opinion is what debate are all about and is a good way to learn out of others people views, but :) I still think that crashing on a horse race, bicycle race, losing the baton on a track and field race or falling down and loosing the ball on a basketball game, is all part of things that make sports a realistic, exciting and unpredictable event.

I disagree with taking that unpredictable element out of the equation to try to make it a more control environment with gentleman like behavior, if some one in a premeditate way, try to cause Armstrong to crash so he can win the race I would agree that is not a good sportmanship like behavior and that person should be disqualify, but the natural element of unpredictable and undesirables things that happen in our regular life and we have to deal with as a fact of life, should not be taken out of the race because that unpredictable and excitement element should be in cycling as is in many other sport events

QBA said:
Thanks JohnO,

I think that having difference of opinion is what debate are all about and is a good way to learn out of others people views, but :) I still think that crashing on a horse race, bicycle race, losing the baton on a track and field race or falling down and loosing the ball on a basketball game, is all part of things that make sports a realistic, exciting and unpredictable event.

I disagree with taking that unpredictable element out of the equation to try to make it a more control environment with gentleman like behavior, if some one in a premeditate way, try to cause Armstrong to crash so he can win the race I would agree that is not a good sportmanship like behavior and that person should be disqualify, but the natural element of unpredictable and undesirables things that happen in our regular life and we have to deal with as a fact of life, should not be taken out of the race because that unpredictable and excitement element should be in cycling as is in many other sport events

Also there are no random dope controls on the last day so nobody gets dropped (if you believe Paul Kimmage). The prestique of winning in Paris is so high that very rarely would any breakaway be allowed to succeed. Everyone in the top ten on GC will simply be defending their position, very rare that anyone will risk that unless the guy above them is very close and the guy one place back is sufficiently down on time to make the gamble a safe bet.

No Yellow Jersey that I can remember has made much of an effort in Paris (89 TT excepted) since Merckx (who always wanted to win everything), it's a sort of letting the little guys fight over the crumbs type of attitude.