Does my 99/00 Campy Ergo lever needs repairing?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bfd, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    I have a set of 1999/2000 Campy Record 9 Ergo levers that may be starting to have some shifting
    problems. I've recently started to notice that when I'm in my smaller rear cogs (13,14,15) and I
    shift "up" to a bigger cog, i.e., 13 to 14, 14 to 15, the smaller inner lever shifts very smoothly,
    but is now very, very quiet. The same shift use to make a very discernable, if not loud, click. Now,
    almost nothing. In contrast, when I shift up in a big cog, say 19 to 21 or 21 to 23, I runs a 13x26
    btw, there is still that discernable "click". Does this mean my "G" springs, looks like p/n
    EC-RE209, needs replacing?

    I also saw the following on an "online" seller's website about this problem:

    "Campagnolo 1998 and 1999 9 speed, right side Ergo Levers, are prone to shifting problems. The post
    on the "G" spring carrier was weak and often broke. We suggest replacing it with a newer, reinforced
    one." They go on to describe a part number with a new teflon washer.

    From Campy's part catalog, it appears that EC-RE111 has a little "post" and it appears there is a
    washer, EC-RE057?, with a notch behind it. Do these parts also need replacing? I do have a little
    experience taking apart ergo levers, helped my friend "upgraded" his 94 Chorus 8 speed levers to 9,
    so I know its not that difficult to do and can be done easily under an hour. However, do I need to
    take the lever apart first to determine what needs to be replaced or should I just order all new
    parts and replace. Thanks, Brewster

    Tags:

  2. bfd-<< and I shift "up" to a bigger cog, i.e., 13 to 14, 14 to 15, the smaller inner lever shifts
    very smoothly, but is now very, very quiet.

    Couold benefit from an overhaul, new springs and a check of the EC-RE-111 spring carrier post...easy
    to do but if cannot send it to me, I'll do it-

    << They go on to describe a part number with a new teflon washer.

    Yes and needs to be modiifed to accept the shoulders of the post.

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > bfd-<< and I shift "up" to a bigger cog, i.e., 13 to 14, 14 to 15, the smaller inner lever shifts
    > very smoothly, but is now very, very quiet.
    >
    > Couold benefit from an overhaul, new springs and a check of the EC-RE-111 spring carrier
    > post...easy to do but if cannot send it to me, I'll do it-
    >

    > << They go on to describe a part number with a new teflon washer.
    >
    > Yes and needs to be modiifed to accept the shoulders of the post.

    What would the repair (overhaul, springs, washer + mods + install) cost at your shop?

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I think it sounds like a lot of money comparing to the lower model shifters but it's certainly worh
    it. For ~$50 the shifters work as good as new. Peter did 2 sets for me. One was a conversion and the
    other a broken spring carrier.

    Finally I decided to try myself. It is incredbily fast and easy...the 2nd time. Once you are down
    to replacing the G springs, you have all the other parts in your hand. It's frequently a $10 job
    all that you need are 2 x 4 mm hex wrenches. [email protected] was helfful in coaching me through
    some snags.

    Should you need the parts replaced by a top wrench and you need new hoods, you're close to getting
    brand new shifters.

    On 24 Jan 2003 13:44:51 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >smarsh-<< What would the repair (overhaul, springs, washer + mods + install) cost at your shop?
    >
    >Shift springs are $4 per(2) Thumb button return spring $4(may need it) EC-RE-111 is $10(if needed)
    >labor for the overhaul-$25
    >
    >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > Should you need the parts replaced by a top wrench and you need new hoods, you're close to getting
    > brand new shifters.

    Another factor: New Ergos are supplied with a full set of cables - and Campag cables are not cheap.

    ~PB

  6. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    news:<b0u1md$tjrf9[email protected]>...
    > > Should you need the parts replaced by a top wrench and you need new hoods, you're close to
    > > getting brand new shifters.
    >
    > Another factor: New Ergos are supplied with a full set of cables - and Campag cables are
    > not cheap.

    True, a complete cable set is like $30-35. However, you can get Torelli or Jagwire cable that seems
    to work just as well for a bit less ($3-5/cable)....