Does my 99/00 Campy Ergo lever needs repairing?

Bfd

Guest
I have a set of 1999/2000 Campy Record 9 Ergo levers that may be starting to have some shifting
problems. I've recently started to notice that when I'm in my smaller rear cogs (13,14,15) and I
shift "up" to a bigger cog, i.e., 13 to 14, 14 to 15, the smaller inner lever shifts very smoothly,
but is now very, very quiet. The same shift use to make a very discernable, if not loud, click. Now,
almost nothing. In contrast, when I shift up in a big cog, say 19 to 21 or 21 to 23, I runs a 13x26
btw, there is still that discernable "click". Does this mean my "G" springs, looks like p/n
EC-RE209, needs replacing?

I also saw the following on an "online" seller's website about this problem:

"Campagnolo 1998 and 1999 9 speed, right side Ergo Levers, are prone to shifting problems. The post
on the "G" spring carrier was weak and often broke. We suggest replacing it with a newer, reinforced
one." They go on to describe a part number with a new teflon washer.

From Campy's part catalog, it appears that EC-RE111 has a little "post" and it appears there is a
washer, EC-RE057?, with a notch behind it. Do these parts also need replacing? I do have a little
experience taking apart ergo levers, helped my friend "upgraded" his 94 Chorus 8 speed levers to 9,
so I know its not that difficult to do and can be done easily under an hour. However, do I need to
take the lever apart first to determine what needs to be replaced or should I just order all new
parts and replace. Thanks, Brewster

bfd-<< and I shift "up" to a bigger cog, i.e., 13 to 14, 14 to 15, the smaller inner lever shifts
very smoothly, but is now very, very quiet.

Couold benefit from an overhaul, new springs and a check of the EC-RE-111 spring carrier post...easy
to do but if cannot send it to me, I'll do it-

<< They go on to describe a part number with a new teflon washer.

Yes and needs to be modiifed to accept the shoulders of the post.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> bfd-<< and I shift "up" to a bigger cog, i.e., 13 to 14, 14 to 15, the smaller inner lever shifts
> very smoothly, but is now very, very quiet.
>
> Couold benefit from an overhaul, new springs and a check of the EC-RE-111 spring carrier
> post...easy to do but if cannot send it to me, I'll do it-
>

> << They go on to describe a part number with a new teflon washer.
>
> Yes and needs to be modiifed to accept the shoulders of the post.

What would the repair (overhaul, springs, washer + mods + install) cost at your shop?

I think it sounds like a lot of money comparing to the lower model shifters but it's certainly worh
it. For ~$50 the shifters work as good as new. Peter did 2 sets for me. One was a conversion and the
other a broken spring carrier.

Finally I decided to try myself. It is incredbily fast and easy...the 2nd time. Once you are down
to replacing the G springs, you have all the other parts in your hand. It's frequently a $10 job
all that you need are 2 x 4 mm hex wrenches. [email protected] was helfful in coaching me through
some snags.

Should you need the parts replaced by a top wrench and you need new hoods, you're close to getting
brand new shifters.

On 24 Jan 2003 13:44:51 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>smarsh-<< What would the repair (overhaul, springs, washer + mods + install) cost at your shop?
>
>Shift springs are $4 per(2) Thumb button return spring $4(may need it) EC-RE-111 is $10(if needed)
>labor for the overhaul-$25
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> Should you need the parts replaced by a top wrench and you need new hoods, you're close to getting
> brand new shifters.

Another factor: New Ergos are supplied with a full set of cables - and Campag cables are not cheap.

~PB

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Should you need the parts replaced by a top wrench and you need new hoods, you're close to
> > getting brand new shifters.
>
> Another factor: New Ergos are supplied with a full set of cables - and Campag cables are
> not cheap.

True, a complete cable set is like $30-35. However, you can get Torelli or Jagwire cable that seems
to work just as well for a bit less ($3-5/cable)....