Does such a product exist??

Thecyclist2002

Guest
Good morning to you all. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer.

I just recently bought an indoor trainer for my bike. Although I'm getting the exercise I need, I'm
finding that "spinning" is nowhere near as fun as actually being "out there."

I am wondering if there is a DVD / Video (would prefer DVD since my bike is set up in my computer
room hehe) that I can pop in the player that simulates an outdoor ride from the perspective of
actually being on the bike. I've looked in a couple of bike magazines, and online, but haven't had
any success.

So, is there such a product out there? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Adam :)

"Let's Ride!!"

Check out www.spinervals.com

--
Shawn P Bolan [email protected] "TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040104075558.09599.00002027@mb-
m17.aol.com...
> Good morning to you all. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer.
>
> I just recently bought an indoor trainer for my bike. Although I'm getting
the
> exercise I need, I'm finding that "spinning" is nowhere near as fun as
actually
> being "out there."
>
> I am wondering if there is a DVD / Video (would prefer DVD since my bike
is set
> up in my computer room hehe) that I can pop in the player that simulates
an
> outdoor ride from the perspective of actually being on the bike. I've
looked in
> a couple of bike magazines, and online, but haven't had any success.
>
> So, is there such a product out there? Any info will be greatly
appreciated.

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Adam :)
>
> "Let's Ride!!"

On 04 Jan 2004 12:55:58 GMT, [email protected] (TheCyclist2002)
wrote:

>I am wondering if there is a DVD / Video (would prefer DVD since my bike is set up in my computer
>room hehe) that I can pop in the player that simulates an outdoor ride from the perspective of
>actually being on the bike.

Whats wrong with the big blue room?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

news:[email protected]...

http://www.turbovids.net

> I am wondering if there is a DVD / Video (would prefer DVD since my bike is set up in my computer
> room hehe) that I can pop in the player that simulates an outdoor ride from the perspective of
> actually being on the bike. I've looked in a couple of bike magazines, and online, but haven't had
> any success.
>
> So, is there such a product out there? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Adam :)

There was a guy that used to 'spam' (it was a related product, so I wouldn't slate it) a product on
cycling groups that may be just what your after. I think there were various DVD's that he'd made
with a helmet mounted camera including Alpe D'Huez and the like. Maybe worth searching Google under
this group as well as rec.bicycles.tech and uk.rec.cycling. These are the cycling groups I read, and
it appeared on one of them. He has a website too, but I have no idea of the URL, sorry.

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
have occurred during transmission

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:12:22 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Whats wrong with the big blue room?

In the real world, the big blue room often turns a grayish white. Slick stuff forms on the roads.
The nutsack, if present, shrinks and shrivels pitifully. The toes, if left unprotected, turn
gangrenous and fall off. The mustache grows crunchy. Occupants of this real world dress in layers,
wear substantial woolen socks, long underwear and parkas and tread very cautiously as they go. And
that's just to get the mail.

The best way to keep the shiny side up during the seasons when the big blue room turns its
unwelcoming countenance toward us is to clamp the shiny thing into a trainer and spin. I read books
and listen to the radio. When I really want to honk, I put in some music. I've been flamed before
for my choice of music, so I wont' mention it. Your music may vary.

Snowshoeing and XC skiing is fun, but not in the most extreme of seasons. Cycling during the
extreme season is for the hardy and sure of balance. You can't fake it on ice. Don't ask me how I
learnt that.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 10:21:57 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In the real world, the big blue room often turns a grayish white. Slick stuff forms on the roads.
>The nutsack, if present, shrinks and shrivels pitifully. The toes, if left unprotected, turn
>gangrenous and fall off. The mustache grows crunchy. Occupants of this real world dress in layers,
>wear substantial woolen socks, long underwear and parkas and tread very cautiously as they go. And
>that's just to get the mail.

Ah, well, I live in temperate latitudes where rain and ice are our lot in winter, rather than snow,
so when it does snow I just laugh at the new experience as I ride my slick-shod recumbent bike to
work as usual.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> wrote:
: The nutsack, if present, shrinks and shrivels pitifully.

: world dress in layers, wear substantial woolen socks, long underwear and parkas and tread very
: cautiously as they go. And that's just to get the mail.

ahhh, minnesota. you forgot your third (or possibly fifth) sock.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:02:16 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ah, well, I live in temperate latitudes where rain and ice are our lot in winter, rather than snow,
>so when it does snow I just laugh at the new experience as I ride my slick-shod recumbent bike to
>work as usual.

I envy you your carefree confidence and especially your sense of equilibrium and I wish you well in
your cycling endeavors.

I'll never be confident nor steady on ice. But one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:09:03 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'll never be confident nor steady on ice. But one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

I'm a lot happier about it now I ride feet-first with my seat a foot off the ground instead of head
first and way up in the air ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:54:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a lot happier about it now I ride feet-first with my seat a foot off the ground instead of head
>first and way up in the air ;-)

Roger that, but I still feel kinda "hinky" on my V2. I'd always imagined that it was because I
couldn't shift my weight rapidly to counter skids or other tricky things the tires' contact patches
did. Maybe it's actually kind of a proprioceptive illusion, but I don't really feel any better
balanced. Feet first and head low IS good though.

I'm thinking of getting a trike. I imagine that with a trike, even a spazz like me would feel safe
and stable.

>Good morning to you all. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. I just recently bought an
>indoor trainer for my bike. Although I'm getting the exercise I need, I'm finding that "spinning"
>is nowhere near as fun as
actually
>being "out there." I am wondering if there is a DVD / Video (would prefer DVD since my bike is
set
>up in my computer room hehe) that I can pop in the player that simulates an outdoor ride from the
>perspective of actually being on the bike. I've looked
in
>a couple of bike magazines, and online, but haven't had any success. So, is there such a product
>out there? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

There are two types I have seen. The first is just a video of bike racing. You can watch the race
and then adjust the resistance on your bike as the racing action changes. You can also look at a
device like a computrainer. That changes the resistance automatically. The first item can be had
relatiely inexpensively, the latter costs big bucks.
----------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Good morning to you all. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. I just recently bought an
> >indoor trainer for my bike. Although I'm getting the exercise I need, I'm finding that "spinning"
> >is nowhere near as fun as
> actually
> >being "out there." I am wondering if there is a DVD / Video (would prefer DVD since my bike is
> set
> >up in my computer room hehe) that I can pop in the player that simulates an outdoor ride from the
> >perspective of actually being on the bike. I've looked
> in
> >a couple of bike magazines, and online, but haven't had any success. So, is there such a product
> >out there? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance,
>
> There are two types I have seen. The first is just a video of bike racing. You can watch the race
> and then adjust the resistance on your bike as the racing action changes. You can also look at a
> device like a computrainer. That changes the resistance automatically. The first item can be had
> relatiely inexpensively, the latter costs big bucks.
> ----------------
> Alex

In the bike-trainer distraction product category, there is also Cateye's Gamebike, a controller for
a Playstation 2 that works with your bike's steering. They recommend mostly driving games, but I
have the old-and-mediocre PS1 game "Rush Down", which simulates downhill mountain bike racing (along
with kayaking and skiing; it's a triple-threat game), and the recently-released "Downhill
Domination" might also suit.

For some reason I haven't seen many road bike games. Maybe it means our sport sucks.

maybe they could revise a car chase game to be bicycle escape vehicles where you have to pull a lot
of jumps to get away and cars cant follow.

Ryan Cousineau wrote: <snip>