Does Tyler have a Triple?!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.

    no seriously though, does he?

    david

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    n/m just a smaller second ring, or larger big ring

    "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
    >
    > no seriously though, does he?
    >
    > david

  3. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
    >
    > no seriously though, does he?

    Of course not. There's no Angliru-like climbs on the Tour.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

  5. Arthg

    Arthg Guest

    My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
    wouldn't have to stand as much

    "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > n/m just a smaller second ring, or larger big ring
    >
    > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
    > >
    > > no seriously though, does he?
    > >
    > > david

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
    > >
    > > no seriously though, does he?
    >
    > Of course not. There's no Angliru-like climbs on the Tour.

    French TV reported that some of the riders were using 36x26 as their lowest gear.

  7. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    Arthg wrote:

    > My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
    > wouldn't have to stand as much

    If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard 130 BCD; I've seen the pics of
    it. If it is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be fitted. I use a 110 BCD
    crank (the old Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses with unusually
    steep climbs. The 53-33 chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.

  8. Omc

    Omc Guest

    "Arthg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
    > wouldn't have to stand as much
    >
    > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > n/m just a smaller second ring, or larger big ring
    > >
    > > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.

    Not a Triple, he is using a FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Crankset. 110mm Bolt pattern with 50/34
    chainring combo. Tyler did change to a 52 ring instead of the standard 50. Check out CC:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRNBR=FSAIFHA

    OMC

  9. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Arthg wrote:
    > >
    > > My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
    > > wouldn't have to stand as much
    >

    > If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard 130
    BCD; I've seen the pics of it. If it
    > is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be fitted.
    I use a 110 BCD crank (the old
    > Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses
    with unusually steep climbs. The 53-33
    > chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.

    What derailleur do you use? I had wanted to try a 35 or 36 with my Campag
    10v. I would like to run a 52 or 53 but am willing to drop to 51 if the front shifting
    suffers too much.

  10. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:

    > "Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Arthg wrote:
    > > >
    > > > My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
    > > > wouldn't have to stand as much
    > >

    > > If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard 130
    > BCD; I've seen the pics of it. If it
    > > is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be fitted.
    > I use a 110 BCD crank (the old
    > > Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses
    > with unusually steep climbs. The 53-33
    > > chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.
    >
    > What derailleur do you use?

    I use a _double_ 105 in the front and a DA triple in the back (it doesn't look as dorky as other
    Shimano triple rear ders). I shift the front via friction, not STI. I don't know how the front Campy
    shifting works (friction or index?). I have a Veloce front I plan on trying someday.

    > I had wanted to try a 35 or 36 with my Campag
    > 10v. I would like to run a 52 or 53 but am willing to drop to 51 if the front shifting suffers too
    > much.

    I dunno, but I doubt you'd need to. I've used the 53x36 combo a lot too and it works fine. I suppose
    mine might not satisfy some folks, but I like it. I can easily put a 33x28 low on my bike, which is
    lower than the 30x25 Heras used at Angrilicu (sp) last year. To get this low I need only change the
    cassette (and maybe the inner ring if I was using something else). No other adjustments are
    necessary -- it is a 5 min job. I don't know about 10sp chainrings (tooth width issue) as I have a
    Shimano 9sp.

    There is the one-time tune-in cost of knowledge (once you know the answer, the problem need not be
    re-solved). For one thing, you might want a little extra spacing between the two chainrings and this
    has to do with the "throw" when derailling from the large (53) down to the small (33). The large
    tooth difference calls for a bit more ring spacing in my experience (even with 9sp), as the chain
    does come down at a bit of an angle. You want the chain to fall right onto the little ring. Loose
    Screws sells ring spacers down to 0.6 mm if you can't get them locally. You know, you could just try
    a triple. I've heard that they are pretty good with ramps, pins, gates, and front indexing.

    Here's my 110: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12223.html
    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/images/catpics/12-223.jpg

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Nick Burns wrote:

    > > > If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard
    130
    > > BCD; I've seen the pics of it. If it
    > > > is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be
    fitted.
    > > I use a 110 BCD crank (the old
    > > > Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses
    > > with unusually steep climbs. The 53-33
    > > > chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.
    > >
    > > What derailleur do you use?
    >
    > I use a _double_ 105 in the front and a DA triple in the back (it doesn't
    look as dorky as other Shimano
    > triple rear ders). I shift the front via friction, not STI. I don't know
    how the front Campy shifting works
    > (friction or index?). I have a Veloce front I plan on trying someday.
    >
    > > I had wanted to try a 35 or 36 with my Campag
    > > 10v. I would like to run a 52 or 53 but am willing to drop to 51 if the front shifting suffers
    > > too much.
    >
    > I dunno, but I doubt you'd need to. I've used the 53x36 combo a lot too
    and it works fine. I suppose mine
    > might not satisfy some folks, but I like it. I can easily put a 33x28 low
    on my bike, which is lower than the
    > 30x25 Heras used at Angrilicu (sp) last year. To get this low I need only
    change the cassette (and maybe the
    > inner ring if I was using something else). No other adjustments are
    necessary -- it is a 5 min job. I don't
    > know about 10sp chainrings (tooth width issue) as I have a Shimano 9sp.
    >
    > There is the one-time tune-in cost of knowledge (once you know the answer,
    the problem need not be
    > re-solved). For one thing, you might want a little extra spacing between
    the two chainrings and this has to
    > do with the "throw" when derailling from the large (53) down to the small
    (33). The large tooth difference
    > calls for a bit more ring spacing in my experience (even with 9sp), as the
    chain does come down at a bit of an
    > angle. You want the chain to fall right onto the little ring. Loose
    Screws sells ring spacers down to 0.6 mm
    > if you can't get them locally. You know, you could just try a triple.
    I've heard that they are pretty good
    > with ramps, pins, gates, and front indexing.
    >

    > Here's my 110: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12223.html
    > http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/images/catpics/12-223.jpg

    Man, that is perfect, THANKS! Ten speed chainrings need to be a bit closer so if I leave it as is it
    should be perfect. I also did not know that you could get a 53 in 110. I figured it would be custom
    or at least very hard to find. I was looking at the Ritchey, the TA and the FSA cranks and I think
    the Ritchey is the one I prefer. I wish Campy would make a 110 so that I was not forced to change
    the bottom bracket. That is the only thing that will take more than a few minutes. I might just end
    up putting it on one dedicated bike and leave it.

    Thanks again.

  12. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:

    > I also did not know that you could get a 53 in 110.

    Despite the fact that the 110 is not too popular _today_, there is a huge installed base of cranks
    with this bolt circle. Tech savvy riders know it is possibly the most sensible bolt circle ever
    introduced (thank Sugino, the company who made the Ritchey cranks). Sheldon lists all manner of 110
    chainrings. The question is whether you need ramps and pins and gates and all that crap. Personally,
    I don't care and I look for low cost mostly.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html

    Sheldon shows _every_ tooth increment for 110, from 33t to 61t. None of the other bolt circles show
    that level of selection. The Ritchey crank will need a little dremel working to use the 33t (which I
    performed on mine). It, like many 110 cranks is strictly rated down to 34t, but mod'ing gets it to
    33t. Peter White lists ramped and pinned TA chainrings. They look very nice but are pricey.

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

    I prefer the Ritchey crank over the TA crank because I think the Ritchey is cold forged and the TA
    is hot forged (at least according to Grant Peterson it is). You may have to experiment with bottom
    brackets. I think Grant Peterson's recommendation of 107 mm for the Ritchey is off a little. I think
    110 to 113 is more appropriate along with fine tuning via spacers.

    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12209.html
    http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=73&subcategory=1096&storetype=&init=y

    For some reason the cheapo Nashbar $15 BB doesn't show. They are good for experimenting. As a
    plus, they work very well too and weigh the same as the Shimano ones. Dunno why they don't pop up
    on the web site.

  13. [email protected] (K. J. Papai) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
    > >
    > > no seriously though, does he?
    >
    > Of course not.

    Pipe down with your sanctimonious 'of course not,' Ken. What you know about cycling wouldn't fill a
    Benotto handlebar endcap.

    -RJ

  14. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
    > > >
    > > > no seriously though, does he?
    > >
    > > Of course not. There's no Angliru-like climbs on the Tour.
    >
    > French TV reported that some of the riders were using 36x26 as their
    lowest
    > gear.

    Tyler was using a triple.

    Dashii

  15. Wkabout

    Wkabout Guest

    French TV were reporting TYLER was using a 36 x 26. That was no triple he had.

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Of course not. There's no Angliru-like climbs on the Tour.
    > >
    > > French TV reported that some of the riders were using 36x26 as their
    > lowest
    > > gear.
    >
    > Tyler was using a triple.
    >
    > Dashii