Does Tyler have a Triple?!

David

Guest
If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.

no seriously though, does he?

david

My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
wouldn't have to stand as much

Arthg wrote:

> My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
> wouldn't have to stand as much

If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard 130 BCD; I've seen the pics of
it. If it is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be fitted. I use a 110 BCD
crank (the old Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses with unusually
steep climbs. The 53-33 chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.

"Arthg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
> wouldn't have to stand as much
>
> "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > n/m just a smaller second ring, or larger big ring
> >
> > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.

Not a Triple, he is using a FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Crankset. 110mm Bolt pattern with 50/34
chainring combo. Tyler did change to a 52 ring instead of the standard 50. Check out CC:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRNBR=FSAIFHA

OMC

"Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Arthg wrote:
> >
> > My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
> > wouldn't have to stand as much
>

> If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard 130
BCD; I've seen the pics of it. If it
> is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be fitted.
I use a 110 BCD crank (the old
> Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses
with unusually steep climbs. The 53-33
> chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.

What derailleur do you use? I had wanted to try a 35 or 36 with my Campag
10v. I would like to run a 52 or 53 but am willing to drop to 51 if the front shifting
suffers too much.

Nick Burns wrote:

> "Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Arthg wrote:
> > >
> > > My brother says he read somwhere (Velonews?) that Tyler was using a 33 inside ring so that he
> > > wouldn't have to stand as much
> >

> > If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard 130
> BCD; I've seen the pics of it. If it
> > is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be fitted.
> I use a 110 BCD crank (the old
> > Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses
> with unusually steep climbs. The 53-33
> > chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.
>
> What derailleur do you use?

I use a _double_ 105 in the front and a DA triple in the back (it doesn't look as dorky as other
Shimano triple rear ders). I shift the front via friction, not STI. I don't know how the front Campy
shifting works (friction or index?). I have a Veloce front I plan on trying someday.

> I had wanted to try a 35 or 36 with my Campag
> 10v. I would like to run a 52 or 53 but am willing to drop to 51 if the front shifting suffers too
> much.

I dunno, but I doubt you'd need to. I've used the 53x36 combo a lot too and it works fine. I suppose
mine might not satisfy some folks, but I like it. I can easily put a 33x28 low on my bike, which is
lower than the 30x25 Heras used at Angrilicu (sp) last year. To get this low I need only change the
cassette (and maybe the inner ring if I was using something else). No other adjustments are
necessary -- it is a 5 min job. I don't know about 10sp chainrings (tooth width issue) as I have a
Shimano 9sp.

There is the one-time tune-in cost of knowledge (once you know the answer, the problem need not be
re-solved). For one thing, you might want a little extra spacing between the two chainrings and this
has to do with the "throw" when derailling from the large (53) down to the small (33). The large
tooth difference calls for a bit more ring spacing in my experience (even with 9sp), as the chain
does come down at a bit of an angle. You want the chain to fall right onto the little ring. Loose
Screws sells ring spacers down to 0.6 mm if you can't get them locally. You know, you could just try
a triple. I've heard that they are pretty good with ramps, pins, gates, and front indexing.

Here's my 110: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12223.html
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/images/catpics/12-223.jpg

"Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Nick Burns wrote:

> > > If so, it isn't his "usual" FSA carbon crank, which is the standard
130
> > BCD; I've seen the pics of it. If it
> > > is a 110 BCD, that has been specially selected, then a 33t can be
fitted.
> > I use a 110 BCD crank (the old
> > > Ritchey Road double) to get that extra 1.5 to 2 gears lower on courses
> > with unusually steep climbs. The 53-33
> > > chainring step isn't as bad as I would have thought it to be.
> >
> > What derailleur do you use?
>
> I use a _double_ 105 in the front and a DA triple in the back (it doesn't
look as dorky as other Shimano
> triple rear ders). I shift the front via friction, not STI. I don't know
how the front Campy shifting works
> (friction or index?). I have a Veloce front I plan on trying someday.
>
> > I had wanted to try a 35 or 36 with my Campag
> > 10v. I would like to run a 52 or 53 but am willing to drop to 51 if the front shifting suffers
> > too much.
>
> I dunno, but I doubt you'd need to. I've used the 53x36 combo a lot too
and it works fine. I suppose mine
> might not satisfy some folks, but I like it. I can easily put a 33x28 low
on my bike, which is lower than the
> 30x25 Heras used at Angrilicu (sp) last year. To get this low I need only
change the cassette (and maybe the
> inner ring if I was using something else). No other adjustments are
necessary -- it is a 5 min job. I don't
> know about 10sp chainrings (tooth width issue) as I have a Shimano 9sp.
>
> There is the one-time tune-in cost of knowledge (once you know the answer,
the problem need not be
> re-solved). For one thing, you might want a little extra spacing between
the two chainrings and this has to
> do with the "throw" when derailling from the large (53) down to the small
(33). The large tooth difference
> calls for a bit more ring spacing in my experience (even with 9sp), as the
chain does come down at a bit of an
> angle. You want the chain to fall right onto the little ring. Loose
Screws sells ring spacers down to 0.6 mm
> if you can't get them locally. You know, you could just try a triple.
I've heard that they are pretty good
> with ramps, pins, gates, and front indexing.
>

> Here's my 110: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12223.html
> http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/images/catpics/12-223.jpg

Man, that is perfect, THANKS! Ten speed chainrings need to be a bit closer so if I leave it as is it
should be perfect. I also did not know that you could get a 53 in 110. I figured it would be custom
or at least very hard to find. I was looking at the Ritchey, the TA and the FSA cranks and I think
the Ritchey is the one I prefer. I wish Campy would make a 110 so that I was not forced to change
the bottom bracket. That is the only thing that will take more than a few minutes. I might just end
up putting it on one dedicated bike and leave it.

Thanks again.

Nick Burns wrote:

> I also did not know that you could get a 53 in 110.

Despite the fact that the 110 is not too popular _today_, there is a huge installed base of cranks
with this bolt circle. Tech savvy riders know it is possibly the most sensible bolt circle ever
introduced (thank Sugino, the company who made the Ritchey cranks). Sheldon lists all manner of 110
chainrings. The question is whether you need ramps and pins and gates and all that ****. Personally,
I don't care and I look for low cost mostly.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html

Sheldon shows _every_ tooth increment for 110, from 33t to 61t. None of the other bolt circles show
that level of selection. The Ritchey crank will need a little dremel working to use the 33t (which I
performed on mine). It, like many 110 cranks is strictly rated down to 34t, but mod'ing gets it to
33t. Peter White lists ramped and pinned TA chainrings. They look very nice but are pricey.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

I prefer the Ritchey crank over the TA crank because I think the Ritchey is cold forged and the TA
is hot forged (at least according to Grant Peterson it is). You may have to experiment with bottom
brackets. I think Grant Peterson's recommendation of 107 mm for the Ritchey is off a little. I think
110 to 113 is more appropriate along with fine tuning via spacers.

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12209.html
http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=73&subcategory=1096&storetype=&init=y

For some reason the cheapo Nashbar $15 BB doesn't show. They are good for experimenting. As a
plus, they work very well too and weigh the same as the Shimano ones. Dunno why they don't pop up
on the web site.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > If i am not mistaken it looks like he has a triple.
> > >
> > > no seriously though, does he?
> >
> > Of course not. There's no Angliru-like climbs on the Tour.
>
> French TV reported that some of the riders were using 36x26 as their
lowest
> gear.

Tyler was using a triple.

Dashii

French TV were reporting TYLER was using a 36 x 26. That was no triple he had.