Double vs Triple

I rode a triple for the first time ever last summer, (LeMond Victoire/Ultegra) and loved it. The year before I rode a double (53/39, 12-25) and had no problems with any of the hills in the area were I live. The first thing I did with the triple was go to an 11-23 rear. I had absolutely no problems with the larger 42 front chain ring, and really like the flexibility of the 30 front. It allowed me to keep my heart rate down at the start of some rides. (One of the routs I take from my house starts out with a steep grade for approx. ¾ of a mile from my door step, and at the beginning of a ride I like to keep my heart rate low as I warm up).

Originally posted by pedalpedal
For a 10-speed campy triple.... the gears come 53-42-30.. Can you put a 39 on the triple crankset, instead of the 42??

I'm used to a 39, not sure what it would be like with 42..30 with a 12-25 in the back??

Also anyone know the weight of the Campy Racing-T crankset?

Planning for the L'etape next year and want all the gears I can get.

Thanks for any replys..
Thats what I did on my Cannondale, which started out as a 52/42/30. It has a Shimano 105 crank. I replaced the 42 with a 39 DuraAce middle ring. I assume it would be no different on a Campy crank.
As far as the weight goes on a Campy Racing_T, that would depend on crankarm lenth and what chanrings you had on it.

Somehow negative comments about a triple crank ( "granny wheel") are a bit strange because it is nothing more than making an improvement to the bike in order to get a better match between human body and bike.

With the same logic you could also call a carbon frame a "granny frame" or ultra light wheels "granny wheels" etc, but nobody ever comments on that.

Originally posted by Aernout
Somehow negative comments about a triple crank ( "granny wheel") are a bit strange..............
Nothing negative about it,unless YOU want to read it that way.

What is with the "baby" triple chainring? Please don't get me started on useless 10spd (bikes are being geared at weaker riders, that soon there shall all have mini-motors on them). I would feel like such a wimp with one on my bike. Have never rode a mountain where my 39 was too large. Use to live with climbs of 11-14kms at 7-10%. Sure may not have gotten to the top as fast as pros, but HR was never above 70%. One way to save $$ is to become physically stronger so that triple gear is not needed. Spinning is one thing. But when I pass ppl spinning at 100rpm in baby ring and I'm spinning at 110-120 in 39. It makes me wonder, why. They are spinning and going no where fast........

Memph

Originally posted by Aernout
Somehow negative comments about a triple crank ( "granny wheel") are a bit strange because it is nothing more than making an improvement to the bike in order to get a better match between human body and bike.

With the same logic you could also call a carbon frame a "granny frame" or ultra light wheels "granny wheels" etc, but nobody ever comments on that.

The babyring is a bail out ring that proves your weakness. Unlike a frame or wheelset. You are already sitting on these as you climb a steep mountain. Your body hurts as you are only half way thru your climb. Weakness sets in and shift in babyring. When this happens, not going to jump off bike and replace wheelset with lighter ones. In my opinion, I would feel weak with a triple.

Also how is an added chainring making your bike better? Is it making it stronger?

Memph

Maybe that is why your knees blew out.
Greg LeMond rides a triple now, I guess he is weak.

Originally posted by Memphmann
The babyring is a bail out ring that proves your weakness. Unlike a frame or wheelset. You are already sitting on these as you climb a steep mountain. Your body hurts as you are only half way thru your climb. Weakness sets in and shift in babyring. When this happens, not going to jump off bike and replace wheelset with lighter ones. In my opinion, I would feel weak with a triple.

Also how is an added chainring making your bike better? Is it making it stronger?

Memph

Memph: The triple on my new bike will make it better for me because it will give me more choices of how fast and hard I want to climb on any given day. I still like to stand and climb and pass people spinning sometimes, but I'm not into pain in such a big way anymore and don't want to have to do that. I actually like to ride pain-free and enjoy myself on the long rides now.

Sounds like you're so strong you don't need a triple. 20-30 years ago, I didn't either, so I can relate to your view here. But after 30+ years of riding doubles, I'm ready to relax a bit and want a triple on my new bike. I'm older and wimpier now, and want to save my knees for another 30 years of biking.

Besides, my (citizen) crit seasons are a decade behind me now, so I don't need to pretend I'm still a racer. Since many younger and better riders than me already have triples around here, I think I'll be OK with my decision.

Dan

Originally posted by ccdriver
Maybe that is why your knees blew out.
Greg LeMond rides a triple now, I guess he is weak.

That would be a good guess about my knee. It was actually due to an older hockey injury. Then a massive 9 rider spell at 65km/h in a Cat2 race.

I could care little what Lemond rides. If he ate ****, would you? My opinion is mine and should have little to do with what or how you ride.......

Memph

Originally posted by dhk
Memph: The triple on my new bike will make it better for me because it will give me more choices of how fast and hard I want to climb on any given day. I still like to stand and climb and pass people spinning sometimes, but I'm not into pain in such a big way anymore and don't want to have to do that. I actually like to ride pain-free and enjoy myself on the long rides now.

Sounds like you're so strong you don't need a triple. 20-30 years ago, I didn't either, so I can relate to your view here. But after 30+ years of riding doubles, I'm ready to relax a bit and want a triple on my new bike. I'm older and wimpier now, and want to save my knees for another 30 years of biking.

Besides, my (citizen) crit seasons are a decade behind me now, so I don't need to pretend I'm still a racer. Since many younger and better riders than me already have triples around here, I think I'll be OK with my decision.

Dan

I see your point and it is a great one. Maybe one day I'll be in your boat also. Am going (well maybe, still debating over if the price tags on these new bikes are worth it. Or if I should just upgrade my 10 year old custom built frame) to purchase another bike. The 1st choice is that it has to be a double.

Just like anything in life. The triple is not for everyone........

Memph

My opinion is mine and should have little to do with what or how you ride.......

It doesn't mean a thing to me, I just find it quite humorous.

I use a 39/53 in the front and 12-34 in the back. I don't race, but I like to ride it around for 20 to 40 miles a couple of times per week. I bike just for enjoyment. I like this setup because I don't like the front shifting with triples. The gears are fine for me here in Boston, but when I lived in Northern Georgia, I felt that I was sometimes reaching for a lower gear. I never use the 12. There are a few hills around here that I use the 34 on, but they are mostly out of the way, and I could I avoid them if I wanted to, but sometimes I like a challenge.

Went through the same issues back in May when I set up a new bike. I went with a Dura-Ace triple, about a 1/4 lb more, same crisp shifting as a double. You'll never know it's there until you need it, and then when you need it, it will be there. The great advantage is you can keep a tight ratio cassette and still have plently of low gear for hill climbing. I have an 11-21 and my 30-21 combo is actualy a lower gear than a 39-27.

Just get the triple, you won't regret it.

If you want to look at gear ratio differences go to Sheldon Brown's site.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

cheers

Originally posted by ccdriver
My opinion is mine and should have little to do with what or how you ride.......

It doesn't mean a thing to me, I just find it quite humorous.
As I do bikes equiped with a triple.....

Memph

Originally posted by davidbod
Went through the same issues back in May when I set up a new bike. I went with a Dura-Ace triple, about a 1/4 lb more, same crisp shifting as a double. You'll never know it's there until you need it, and then when you need it, it will be there. The great advantage is you can keep a tight ratio cassette and still have plently of low gear for hill climbing. I have an 11-21 and my 30-21 combo is actualy a lower gear than a 39-27.

Just get the triple, you won't regret it.

If you want to look at gear ratio differences go to Sheldon Brown's site.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

cheers

Glad the DA triple is working for you. That's my choice also for the new frame. It means no 2004 DA 10 sp group of course. Looked hard at the Campy 10 sp triple options also, but in the end decided on Shimano for cost and availability of replacement parts. The advantage of going with the "old" DA 9 sp group is saving money up front, plus 9 sp chains and cassette's are a lot cheaper and widely available at LBS at replacement time.

Bottom line is still that not everybody needs or wants a triple. Whether we care or not, the style issue is still there. Fitting the triple clearly says I'm not buying the bike to race.....which is a fact I'm certainly not embarassed to admit.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Fitting the triple clearly says I'm not buying the bike to race.....which is a fact I'm certainly not embarassed to admit.

Dan
It did not bother Roberto Herras.

Originally posted by dhk
Glad the DA triple is working for you. That's my choice also for the new frame. It means no 2004 DA 10 sp group of course. Looked hard at the Campy 10 sp triple options also, but in the end decided on Shimano for cost and availability of replacement parts. The advantage of going with the "old" DA 9 sp group is saving money up front, plus 9 sp chains and cassette's are a lot cheaper and widely available at LBS at replacement time.

Bottom line is still that not everybody needs or wants a triple. Whether we care or not, the style issue is still there. Fitting the triple clearly says I'm not buying the bike to race.....which is a fact I'm certainly not embarassed to admit.

Dan

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit I thought about the style issues as well. When I need style I pull down my well used but in very good condition pink 85' Trek 770 with Campy Super Record and go ride.

As far as the new bike with the triple I wouldn't have it any other way. One thing mountain biking has taught me is that at the end of a long ride when your power is zapped you can always spin if you have the right gear.

Good luck with the new bike.

David

Dan,
Just a footnote to our earlier dialogue Dan, I decided NOT to go with the triple, instead fitted 2004 Chorus in the Dual with 53/39 up front and the 13-29 sissy block on the back for the time being. This gives me a couple of gears well lower than I use everyday and the midrange still seems to suit my riding style and current fitness. The 39-23 and 39-26 combos are nice for keeping the heart rate down on warmups and cooldowns if I want them.
I have to say that the '04 chorus is a thing of beauty - smooth positive shifting and aesthetically the finish is flawless. HIGHLY recommended.
Spaceman

Spaceman: That is a good way to go also, and with the 13-29 10 sp cassette, you've still got the midrange covered. Not as low as the 30/25 triple I have in mind, but another two steps lower than the 39/26 I now have.

I like Campy's wide range of cogset gearing available, even in the Chorus/Record. 13-29 is a good setup; makes a lot more sense than a 11 or 12 cog for us non-racers. Also like Campy's selection of three RD sizes to go with the options.

Was leaning to DA 9 sp triple with 12/25 as the choice. A prime factor for me is the availability of chains, cassettes, wheels. Have to give the Chorus another look now.

Thanks for input, and enjoy your great bike.
Dan

Chorus seems a perfect choice for your classy DeRosa Dual!

Originally posted by dhk

My question is, how much weight does the triple actually add in total, and what other compromises are involved, if any? Am I missing something?

Dan

Weight difference is minimum.
Are you missing something? yes! a third chainring!!!