downtube shifter?

Henry

Guest
Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's front der?

--
ie "ride fast, take chances"

nope. Lance has been doing this for years.

henry wrote:

> Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's front der?
>
> --
> ie "ride fast, take chances"

>Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's front der?

Just you have. Lance always uses a DT shifter for the front der on mountain stages. Old - like
years - news.

okay, I'm an idiot......

"Daniel Lieb" <"["@[.ap> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> nope. Lance has been doing this for years.
>
> henry wrote:
>
> > Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's
front
> > der?
> >
> > --
> > ie "ride fast, take chances"

This is the first year in 8 that I didn't have a day job that kept me working day and night. No more
80 hours a week--I'm actually getting a life again....

"Mack Mad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's
front
> > der?
> >

> > --
> > ie "ride fast, take chances"
> >

> Where have you been?

Probably less weight, less mechanically to go wrong (you know Shimano and their fine cleat
system) and doesn't use it that often - with 10 cogs in the back less need to change chainrings
as often (IMO).

Daniel Lieb wrote:
> nope. Lance has been doing this for years.

Pity he didn't do the same with the rear shifter.

On 7/21/03 8:38 PM, in article [email protected], "jjr071160"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Probably less weight, less mechanically to go wrong (you know Shimano and their fine cleat
> system) and doesn't use it that often - with 10 cogs in the back less need to change chainrings
> as often (IMO).
>
> On 21-Jul-2003, "henry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's front der?

Watch Lance come across the finish line! I am "positive" when he loosens up on the bars his
"right" DA STI shifter "dangles" very loosly back and forth. Since his bike fell that way it must
have broke.

Look at the finish on tape!!!

Wouldn't have happened with a downtube shifter!

henry wrote:
> This is the first year in 8 that I didn't have a day job that kept me working day and night. No
> more 80 hours a week--I'm actually getting a life again....

If they're going to do that to you, get a cheap TV/VCR combo for your office/bench, tape the stage
in the morning (or evening), and watch it there. That's what I did.

They'll lay you off anyway, so screw it.

"henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This is the first year in 8 that I didn't have a day job that kept me working day and night. No
> more 80 hours a week--I'm actually getting a life again....

The benefits of the tech sector recession...

henry-<< Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's front der? >><BR><BR>

on the left side of the down tube, like others...probqably to micro tune the shimano front der, when
they go big-ish big-ish, ring and cog...they don't have to worry about wearing stuff out but don't
like chain rub on the front der...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> on the left side of the down tube, like others...probqably to micro tune the shimano front der,
> when they go big-ish big-ish, ring and cog...they don't have to worry about wearing stuff out but
> don't like chain rub on the front der...

Pantani used such a setup in mountain stages with his Campagnolo equipped bike. See for example the
2nd picture on http://www.campyonly.com/marcobike.html

Dieter

In article <BB421CE0.4BDA0%[email protected]>, <"[email protected]"> wrote:

> Watch Lance come across the finish line! I am "positive" when he loosens up on the bars his
> "right" DA STI shifter "dangles" very loosly back and forth. Since his bike fell that way it must
> have broke.
>
> Look at the finish on tape!!!

It's easy to see that Lance was merely moving the lever to shift into a lower gear after the finish
line. Notice how he moves it twice to shift two times.

-WG

> henry-<< Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for
Lance's
> front der? >><BR><BR>
>
> on the left side of the down tube, like others...probqably to micro tune
the
> shimano front der, when they go big-ish big-ish, ring and cog...they don't
have
> to worry about wearing stuff out but don't like chain rub on the front
der...

USPS gets plenty of stuff from shimano - no need to worry about wearing things out.

They do it to save weight.

A thousand pardons....I guess I should have been more clear--

I was speaking for my spouse and I who are watching the tour coverage together....perhaps I should
refrain from posting in fear of offending the group...

ie

"DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Have we been asleep...what's with the downtube shifter for Lance's front der?
>
> We?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&frame=right-
&th=212a64b072a94619&seekm=8khrg5%24g0s%241%40nnrp1.deja.com#link1

> DR

fortunately I did it on my terms--told them to shove it.........much better now!

ie