entry lvl road bike - need help to choose

bennyj

Oct 15, 2007
ok i need some expert advice. Ive spent most of today(and yesterday) at work on the net researching, asking mates etc. I went into a few stores last weekend and had a look at some bikes too

Ive worked out that Shimano road groupsets go up as follows:
2200 -> Sora -> Tiagra -> 105 -> Ultegra -> DuraAce
(told you i was an absolute beginner)

im 6ft 1 (about 90kgs) and have looked at a few bike fitting guides and seems i need about a 59cm frame (just a rough guide). I have a budget of 1500, including accessiores etc but can strech it...just

after much too'ing and fro'ing heres what ive been recommended. I know how the quality of parts is ranked but i dont know which parts are the more important ones. Also as this is my 1st bike id like to buy locally and the cell shop is just around the corner from me (syd) whereas the torpedo7 is online. Basically i cant decide between these.

trek 1000 - was at all 3 shops for $999
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2007/archive/1000

Lemond etape - also $999
http://www.lemondbikes.com/bikes/road_racing/performance_aluminum/etape.php

Lear 7700 - $1100
http://www.learsport.com.au/view_product.php?product=Lear7700

Cell team road bike - $1199
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/p_58_CELL__TEAM_ROAD_BIKE__Shimano_105_for_a_Shimano_SORA_price

Ghost race 5000 T - $1299 + 80 pp
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/GHBRAN7R5

Personally its between the Ghost bike or the Cell bike but i really dont know which is better value for money.

Any opinions or help would be much appreciated as i really have no experience and the above is the result of 2 days of "research"

bennyj said:
ok i need some expert advice. Ive spent most of today(and yesterday) at work on the net researching, asking mates etc. I went into a few stores last weekend and had a look at some bikes too

Ive worked out that Shimano road groupsets go up as follows:
2200 -> Sora -> Tiagra -> 105 -> Ultegra -> DuraAce
(told you i was an absolute beginner)

im 6ft 1 (about 90kgs) and have looked at a few bike fitting guides and seems i need about a 59cm frame (just a rough guide). I have a budget of 1500, including accessiores etc but can strech it...just

Personally its between the Ghost bike or the Cell bike but i really dont know which is better value for money.
FWIW. I don't want to suggest that this is a no-brainer, but based on the bikes which you have listed, the CELL TEAM ROAD bike is the best value because it has the most complete Shimano drivetrain ...

The GHOST may be nicer for some, but it doesn't seem to offer anything in particular that jumps out at me ...

BUT, is that sizing chart correct for the CELL? The top tube length listed for a 59cm (and, 62cm) frame is really short (must be a typo, but perhaps not!) ... for someone your height, you probably want a top tube that is between 57cm-to-58cm long ... OR, you'll probably want a 130mm stem (the longest that doesn't start to become ridiculous looking). Check the dimensions with a tape measure!

BTW. Of the other bikes you have listed, if I were on a super-tight budget, I'd choose the Trek or LeMond (same parent company) based solely on whose graphics I preferred ... then, I'd ride it for a month-or-two OR until my "free" service from the LBS ran out AND THEN switch the shifters for some Campagnolo Veloce/Mirage 10-speed ERGO shifter (sell the SORA shifters on eBay & hope for the best -- maybe, $100AU) ...

No reason to consider the LEAR in its current configuration (i.e., Tiagra shifters) at the available price.

But, if my budget were so tight that I would have to consider only the lesser three, then I'd track down a used frame/bike that fit (i.e., one with a ~58cm top tube) & add $500+ worth of components (Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed shifters [pre-2007, if possible!] + the rest Shimano compatible) to it to get the same-or-better bang-for-your-buck as the least expensive option.

I'd have to agree that the Lear seems overpriced and the first bike I'd drop from consideration.

I don't know anything about Cell or Ghost frames but if they're good then the 105 components hung on them make them well worth the extra cost over the Trek or LeMond choices, especially if you plan on using your bike for anything more than the occasional weekend ride.

cheers for the advice so far.

The frames seem pretty standard (7005 alloy frame) but as alfeng pointed out the cell's top tube seems short. I missed that

also spent some time this morning reading and found that the FSA Gossamer crank and BB that come with the Ghost bike arent that good. Thanx for pointing that out too

Im leaning toward the cell bike purley because its my LBS and i'll go in on the weekend and check em out in person. Considering ill be buying alot of accessories i may go for the next cell bike up and aim for a discount.(http://www.cellbikes.com.au/p_564_CELL__TRIUMPH_SHIMANO_Ultegra105_MIX__Carbon_Road_Bike) has the longer top tube (again dont know if the 1st was a typo), upgraded wheels carbon bars, seatpost

bennyj said:
cheers for the advice so far.

The frames seem pretty standard (7005 alloy frame) but as alfeng pointed out the cell's top tube seems short. I missed that

also spent some time this morning reading and found that the FSA Gossamer crank and BB that come with the Ghost bike arent that good. Thanx for pointing that out too

Im leaning toward the cell bike purley because its my LBS and i'll go in on the weekend and check em out in person. Considering ill be buying alot of accessories i may go for the next cell bike up and aim for a discount.(http://www.cellbikes.com.au/p_564_CELL__TRIUMPH_SHIMANO_Ultegra105_MIX__Carbon_Road_Bike) has the longer top tube (again dont know if the 1st was a typo), upgraded wheels carbon bars, seatpost
IMO, I don't think that your money will be well spent by opting for the CELL TRIUMPH over the CELL TEAM (I'm presuming a typo on the TEAM's top tube dimensions). Some people will tell you that having carbon stays are great -- I don't know.

I'm guessing that using 700x25 tyres @ ~100PSI will probably give you the same effect (or, better) as 700x23 tyres @ ~110PSI with carbon stays.

BTW. This isn't applicable since you are probably getting a CELL bike, but I have some FSA Gossamer cranks, and they aren't that bad ... not as good as Shimano's, but few are ...

I think that most people's complaint in the past has been with the FSA chainrings ...

Since I use Campagnolo shifters, the ramping-and-pinning (which are probably the best on Shimano's DA/Ultegra/XTR/XT chainrings) & chainring stiffness isn't quite as critical to assisting the chain. Also, the DA & Ultegra chainrings are nickel-plated, so they last longer.

... A couple of seasons ago, I replaced the Dura Ace chainrings on one crankset with some old, unramped/unpinned 8-speed rings BECAUSE I already had them & they were languishing -- they work fine with Campagnolo shifters ... perhaps, a fraction of a revolution longer to engage the larger ring, perhaps not. I'm NOT racing.

Basically, I think of the FSA Gossamer as being a modified (e.g., earlier, Octalink) Dura Ace spider on modified (wider) Campagnolo arms.

The FSA MegaExo cranks can use the same external BB cups as Shimano Hollowtech II cranks, and vice-versa -- a good thing.

So, FWIW, while I think that Shimano cranks are superior to most (some people have aesthetic issues with Shimano cranks, BTW), I think that FSA Gossamer cranks are fine & underappreciated by most riders.

My budget has gone up (thankyou taxman) and all the reading and help ive been getting has given me a good idea of what a decent value for money bike is. Ive got 6 local bike shops to visit over the weekend and ill try and find the best deal and best fit bike i can

As for the FSA im sure they are fine and for my needs would be A-ok. Its just that ive read of quite a number of FSA B/bracks with dodgey seals and being worn out after 2-3000kms. Maybe im just spliting hairs but i plan to be riding 100-150km a week and that will add up.

Yes the CELL bike is what ill be using for my baseline comparision so when i go shoping on SAT ill be looking for the following:

large frame (58ish cm) with a good top tube length - basically get the proper fit 1st and foremost
Carbon forks
carbon seatpost (upgrade if i have to)
550 wheels
700x25 tyres (im a larger guy and ive been told these will be more durable / comfortable)
105 groupset - not fussed about Ultegra

Thing im a bit hazy on is the headset / handles - these seem like an important part and would prefer a carbon composite type over aluminium - but i doubt ill notice the difference in ride smoothness and im not aiming for the lightest bike so i think its overkill for my 1st bike

i think ive got some good info to get a solid deal. heck 2 days ago i didnt even know what carbon forks were

Well bit the bullet on the weekend and picked myself up a new Argon18 Radon. Was a little above my budget but it was such a sweet deal (and good looking bike) i couldnt pass it up. full 105 groupset

Visited about 8 different stores and found this at the last one. Pays to shop around (not just on the net)

bennyj said:
Well bit the bullet on the weekend and picked myself up a new Argon18 Radon. Was a little above my budget but it was such a sweet deal (and good looking bike) i couldnt pass it up. full 105 groupset

Visited about 8 different stores and found this at the last one. Pays to shop around (not just on the net)

Nice bike, good choice.

janiejones said:
Nice bike, good choice.
Wow, I'm impressed!!:eek:

Not by you lot but by me!! Only a few short weeks ago I thought a "group set" was probably something a rock band did and "more stiffness in your bottom bracket" clearly had to be a painful affliction.

But, I was reading through this thread and suddenly found myself nodding with the occasional aha, oh yes, I agree and etc!!

I am learning Bike-Speak!!:p

Thankyou all for passing on your knowledge. I am feeling quite chuffed with myself.

The only bad thing is, I have since discovered what ails my, up till now, trustworthy Kmart supplied Red Rock Hybrid:(

Oh well, I do look forward to hopping on my Apollo Ventoux when I get it off layby shortly!

Cheers,

Your learned colleague,

AdamVW

I'm also looking at the Cell. I'm a big boy (6'7") so the 62cm will be the choice of steed but am concerned with the top tube length. This may force me to reconsider if it really is only 549mm. All other 62-63cm frames have around the 605mm mark.

Can anyone confirm the top tube length. I've tried emailing the Cell guys but to no response.

b-dub said:
Can anyone confirm the top tube length. I've tried emailing the Cell guys but to no response.
I went into the Cell store and it was by far the worst service out of all the shops i visited. Was looking at their bikes and to be honest, they look good on paper but once you see em in the store and have seen other bikes - there nothing special.

Sure they use great components cheap, but i managed to find a nice cannondale bike (aluminium) with 105 groupset for the same price as a cell carbon bike with 105/ultegra...and to be honest id choose the cannondale in a sec (was about the same weight too)

6" 7 is a big guy - im 6" 2 and i had trouble finding a bike with a good fit - half the reason i spent a bit more on the one i did. Top tube length is important but there are ways of getting around it and if you find a good shop and get measured up im sure you'l be right.