Experiences with Reynolds Cirro mid-V Wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DNO, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. DNO

    DNO Guest

    Does anyone have experiences to share with the Reynolds line of wheels,
    particularly the Cirro Mid-V wheels???

    Tags:

  2. DNO wrote:
    > Does anyone have experiences to share with the Reynolds line of wheels,
    > particularly the Cirro Mid-V wheels???

    1200 grams and $1600....hmmmmm, 400 grams lighter than a set of wheels
    that would cost $1100 less....I guess if ya got the $, but not sure how
    much actual performance gain you will see vs a less expensive wheelset.

  3. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de
    news:[email protected],
    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > DNO wrote:
    >> Does anyone have experiences to share with the Reynolds line of
    >> wheels, particularly the Cirro Mid-V wheels???

    > 1200 grams and $1600....hmmmmm, 400 grams lighter than a set of wheels
    > that would cost $1100 less....I guess if ya got the $, but not sure
    > how much actual performance gain you will see vs a less expensive
    > wheelset.

    A friend of mine is the Reynolds distrib-rep for France. He mentioned that
    about 12 sets of those wheels were in use in the TdF by top riders, but
    under different stickers. In these cases, where no publicity is gained,
    Reynolds charges - nothing free. I imagine that the wheels were thought to
    provide enough (small) margin to be worth paying for in these cases.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

  4. Sandy wrote:
    > Dans le message de
    > news:[email protected],
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > > DNO wrote:
    > >> Does anyone have experiences to share with the Reynolds line of
    > >> wheels, particularly the Cirro Mid-V wheels???

    > > 1200 grams and $1600....hmmmmm, 400 grams lighter than a set of wheels
    > > that would cost $1100 less....I guess if ya got the $, but not sure
    > > how much actual performance gain you will see vs a less expensive
    > > wheelset.

    > A friend of mine is the Reynolds distrib-rep for France. He mentioned that
    > about 12 sets of those wheels were in use in the TdF by top riders, but
    > under different stickers. In these cases, where no publicity is gained,
    > Reynolds charges - nothing free. I imagine that the wheels were thought to
    > provide enough (small) margin to be worth paying for in these cases.
    > --
    > Bonne route !
    >
    > Sandy
    > Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

    No doubt they 'may' provide some small margin of advantage to a few
    riders, but I question the value to anybody. $1600 is a ton of $, I
    think 'perhaps' the extra $1000 or so could be better spent toward
    cycling performance and the 400 grams or so, being about .4% of a total
    of a 180 pound rider/bike, is not really that important.

  5. On 3 Sep 2005 06:08:54 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Sandy wrote:

    >> A friend of mine is the Reynolds distrib-rep for France. He mentioned that
    >> about 12 sets of those wheels were in use in the TdF by top riders, but
    >> under different stickers. In these cases, where no publicity is gained,
    >> Reynolds charges - nothing free. I imagine that the wheels were thought to
    >> provide enough (small) margin to be worth paying for in these cases.

    >No doubt they 'may' provide some small margin of advantage to a few
    >riders, but I question the value to anybody. $1600 is a ton of $, I
    >think 'perhaps' the extra $1000 or so could be better spent toward
    >cycling performance and the 400 grams or so, being about .4% of a total
    >of a 180 pound rider/bike, is not really that important.

    In the TdF, .4% is enough to be the difference between a 100.000s of
    dollars sponsoring contract and washing out. So there, yeah, definitely
    worth it. If you don't ride competitively, it's bullshit. If you do ride
    competitively, if you have time to post here it's probably not races that
    have more than a few hundred bucks at stake, and $1000 bucks of gear isn't
    a net gain unless it actually wins you races, which these wheels probably
    don't.

    Jasper