Favorite cycling race

In article <[email protected]>, Precious Pup <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ken Papai wrote:

> > I like the Snelling Road Race and the Giro di San Francisco.
>
> You can't think of a "better" NorCal crit than GdSF? It is a pretty basic rectangle.

Have you done it with a fast field (faster than the 3's)? It's got an upgrade that wears on you, a
little pop of a hill in a chicane after a turn that you must not brake for, a long downgrade into a
very fast corner if you have the nerve, and the fields fill up and there's a few spectators too.

> Cat's Hill, Santa Cruz, Burlingame, Nevada City, (Visalia when it existed) and even lowly
> Watsonville are much more interesting when it comes to the course. I've always seemed to miss
> Cherry Pie; from the description I've heard, I might like to try it.

It's not much to talk about unless making a u-turn at the top of a hill is what you want in an
otherwise industrial park course.

-WG

warren wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Precious Pup <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ken Papai wrote:
>
> > > I like the Snelling Road Race and the Giro di San Francisco.
> >
> > You can't think of a "better" NorCal crit than GdSF? It is a pretty basic rectangle.
>
> Have you done it with a fast field (faster than the 3's)?

I've only done the MSTR 35+ 123. Twice. Once Larry won, and I don't remember the winner for
the other.

> It's got an upgrade that wears on you, ...

Look at my choices -- Burlingame is the only one w/o a hill. You think I *don't* like a bit of a
hill? The SFGP hill is a bump. A few hills typically help my placing if I have decent fitness (which
maybe should go without saying). My 1996 finish wasn't so hot, but it wasn't because of the hill. I
just screwed myself in not getting set up for the sprint. I probably tried to bridge up too many
times also. Live and learn. I conclude that the SFGP hill isn't big enough. Goulet had a nice day.

> ...a little pop of a hill in a chicane after a turn that you must not brake for, a long downgrade
> into a very fast corner if you have the nerve, and the fields fill up and there's a few
> spectators too.
>
> > Cat's Hill, Santa Cruz, Burlingame, Nevada City, (Visalia when it existed) and even lowly
> > Watsonville are much more interesting when it comes to the course. I've always seemed to miss
> > Cherry Pie; from the description I've heard, I might like to try it.
>
> It's not much to talk about unless making a u-turn at the top of a hill is what you want in an
> otherwise industrial park course.

okay.