Some of your favorite cycling internet places/things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

Hello,

I just recently purchased a Trek 2200 for a very nice price that fits like a glove and I'm becoming
increasingly addicted to it. I'm starting to sort of 'get into' cycling more, and was wondering
where the good places were online to read cycling news, maybe get Tour De France info, maybe some
lively message boards or good places to buy cycling stuff, parts, etc.

I've discovered OLN on my cable system in the last month or so while searching for cycling stuff on
TV to tivo. I've been watching the "Road to the Tour" series they've been showing, and it's actually
really gotten me interested in trying to follow it, as I'm starting to get a better understanding of
how it works and how it plays out. Are there any good places for Tour info? www.tourdefrance.com
doesn't seem to be run by them, and it seems kinda sparse.

Thanks.

Jeff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just recently purchased a Trek 2200 for a very nice price that fits like a glove and I'm
> becoming increasingly addicted to it. I'm starting to sort of 'get into' cycling more, and was
> wondering where the good places were online to read cycling news, maybe get Tour De France info,
> maybe some lively message boards or good places to buy cycling stuff, parts, etc.
>
> I've discovered OLN on my cable system in the last month or so while searching for cycling stuff
> on TV to tivo. I've been watching the "Road to the Tour" series they've been showing, and it's
> actually really gotten me interested in trying to follow it, as I'm starting to get a better
> understanding of how it works and how it plays out. Are there any good places for Tour info?
> www.tourdefrance.com doesn't seem to be run by them, and it seems kinda sparse.
>
> Thanks.
>
>

letour.fr cyclingnews.com velonews.com

And watch OLN in July. You will be amazed at the complex strategy and tactics of bike racing. Last
several years, I was cooped up in a sweatshop every Summer. Fortunately, it was a video game studio,
so we all had VCRs and monitors, and I recorded the morning live bcast (Mountain Standard Time
worked just right for my schedule), then watched it while programming. The day Alpe du Huez was run
in 2001, I had six people in my office watching it with me.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"You will be amazed at the complex strategy and tactics of bike racing."

That is if you not bored to tears by the tour's lack of tactics and complex strategy.

Manola Sainz to his ONCE riders, "O.K. today is the first mountain top finish, we have 5 of you in
the top 10, what I want you all to do is just follow Postal until about halfway up the final climb,
Armstrong will attack about then, you see if you can follow him, VENGA, VENGA, VENGA!"

Oh well, hope always springs eternal, maybe this year will be interesting.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just recently purchased a Trek 2200 for a very nice price that fits like a glove and I'm
> > becoming increasingly addicted to it. I'm starting to sort of 'get into' cycling more, and was
> > wondering where the good places were online to read cycling news, maybe get Tour De France info,
> > maybe some lively message boards or good places to buy cycling stuff, parts, etc.
> >
> > I've discovered OLN on my cable system in the last month or so while searching for cycling stuff
> > on TV to tivo. I've been watching the "Road to the Tour" series they've been showing, and it's
> > actually really gotten me interested in trying to follow it, as I'm starting to get a better
> > understanding of how it works and how it plays out. Are there any good places for Tour info?
> > www.tourdefrance.com doesn't seem to be run by them, and it seems kinda sparse.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
>
> letour.fr cyclingnews.com velonews.com
>
> And watch OLN in July. You will be amazed at the complex strategy and tactics of bike racing. Last
> several years, I was cooped up in a sweatshop every Summer. Fortunately, it was a video game
> studio, so we all had VCRs and monitors, and I recorded the morning live bcast (Mountain Standard
> Time worked just right for my schedule), then watched it while programming. The day Alpe du Huez
> was run in 2001, I had six people in my office watching it with me.

Also Eurosport.com. If you can't get to a tv or don't have OLN, they have live audio feed- not just
the tour but other races. I've listened to paris roubaix and giro stages on Eurosport.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Wayne) wrote:

> "You will be amazed at the complex strategy and tactics of bike racing."
>
> That is if you not bored to tears by the tour's lack of tactics and complex strategy.
>
> Manola Sainz to his ONCE riders, "O.K. today is the first mountain top finish, we have 5 of you in
> the top 10, what I want you all to do is just follow Postal until about halfway up the final
> climb, Armstrong will attack about then, you see if you can follow him, VENGA, VENGA, VENGA!"
>
> Oh well, hope always springs eternal, maybe this year will be interesting.

That's what occurred to me watching the Giro. No matter what, it's never boring or predictable.
That's why I actually like it better than the Tour.

In previous years some people, way ahead of their time, suggested you subscribe to OLN and don't
watch in order to EFFECTIVELY boycott the Tour day France.

Wayne wrote:
> "You will be amazed at the complex strategy and tactics of bike racing."
>
> That is if you not bored to tears by the tour's lack of tactics and complex strategy.
>
> Manola Sainz to his ONCE riders, "O.K. today is the first mountain top finish, we have 5 of you in
> the top 10, what I want you all to do is just follow Postal until about halfway up the final
> climb, Armstrong will attack about then, you see if you can follow him, VENGA, VENGA, VENGA!"
>
> Oh well, hope always springs eternal, maybe this year will be interesting.

You've got to see a world beyond LANCE and the yellow jersey to really enjoy the tactics and
strategy. The green jersey competition has been pretty interesting the last few years, and the
"throwaway" stages frequently are intriguing in an MLB-in-July kind of way.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hello,
>
> I just recently purchased a Trek 2200 for a very nice price that fits like a glove and I'm
> becoming increasingly addicted to it. I'm starting to sort of 'get into' cycling more, and was
> wondering where the good places were online to read cycling news, maybe get Tour De France info,
> maybe some lively message boards or good places to buy cycling stuff, parts, etc.
>
> I've discovered OLN on my cable system in the last month or so while searching for cycling stuff
> on TV to tivo. I've been watching the "Road to the Tour" series they've been showing, and it's
> actually really gotten me interested in trying to follow it, as I'm starting to get a better
> understanding of how it works and how it plays out. Are there any good places for Tour info?
> www.tourdefrance.com doesn't seem to be run by them, and it seems kinda sparse.
>
> Thanks.
>
>

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ - info about everything bike bicycling.com and roadbikereview.com both
have good message boards

Status
Not open for further replies.