Favourite music / musician

davidmc said:
Alas, our country is too vast to live next door to someone of the repute you spaek of. Knopfler sounds German/Scandinavian? Jeff Beck album-"Wired" I grew up on it, highly recommended w/ Jan Hammer (http://www.janhammer.com/) on keyboards. Let him know, for me if it's not too much trouble, that he has a huge fan in Virginia. If he has an extra autographed guitar, I'll message you my address :) .
It seems that we have a code in this country somehow. Where you live you don't get pestered by the neighbours, that's why they live where they do. Jeff might come into the betting shop, so I don't talk about bike racing, and nobody asks him about chord changes. He might say 'what do you fancy in this race?'
Even Neil, who has spent his life in music never mentions the subject with him.
That singer Lisa Stansfield had peace when she came home to Rochdale, everyone knew her in the pub, she only lived across the road. She drank a few and went to the chip shop in peace. Nobody pestered her either. She now lives south of Lims old place in Dublin, and nobody will pester her there either. It's a cultural thing.

FredC said:
It seems that we have a code in this country somehow. Where you live you don't get pestered by the neighbours, that's why they live where they do. Jeff might come into the betting shop, so I don't talk about bike racing, and nobody asks him about chord changes. He might say 'what do you fancy in this race?'
Even Neil, who has spent his life in music never mentions the subject with him.
That singer Lisa Stansfield had peace when she came home to Rochdale, everyone knew her in the pub, she only lived across the road. She drank a few and went to the chip shop in peace. Nobody pestered her either. She now lives south of Lims old place in Dublin, and nobody will pester her there either. It's a cultural thing.
Yes, of course, decorum. I'm of the older crowd, I practice it. On another note, our women-folk idolize the british royal family, whereas I do not know one male who does. It must be a "Prince Charming", chivalrous type thing. They seem to be hanging on to the lastest little tid-bit of news relating to Prince Harry or somesuch other person :rolleyes: As you know, our gov't has been turned into a multi-national corporation w/ Bush as the CEO. 44 month's to go. Hopefully that's not enough time for him to declare war on the rest of the world.

I've noticed a few of you talk about how there is no good music being made these days. Well, I can see why you might say that, but there's not much truth in it. It just seems like the haystack has gotten bigger and there's still only a needle or two worth finding.

Seems to me the problem with today's music shares the same problem as every other form of big business. It's all about making money and when they find someone who makes money, they milk it for more than it's worth. Then when that cow goes dry, they spawn another dozen bands that sound the same, hoping to squeeze out those last few drops of blood.

I know there are plenty of crappy bands but I've protected myself from them by simply not listening to the radio. I play in a small band and we do our best to stay true to ourselves and play what's fun. I've managed to see many great bands lately. You just have to be willing to get out there and look for them.

As far as some of my personal favorites, here we go...
Roger Miller
Charles Mingus
Nomeansno
Fugazi
Alice Donut
Flatt & Scruggs
John Lee Hooker
RL Burnside
Jon Spencer's Blues Explosion
Ween
Gene Krupa
Dock Boggs
Beeny Goodman
Gods of Mars
Plot To Blow Up The Eiffel Tower
the Frogs
Flaming Lips
Wesley Willis (R.I.P. Rock Over Heaven, Rock On Chicago!)
Two Gallants
Impatient Youth
Husker Du
Jawbreaker
Willie Nelson
Ray Charles

Reminds me that I need to get some batteries for my walkman.

Hickabod said:
I've noticed a few of you talk about how there is no good music being made these days. Well, I can see why you might say that, but there's not much truth in it. It just seems like the haystack has gotten bigger and there's still only a needle or two worth finding.

Seems to me the problem with today's music shares the same problem as every other form of big business. It's all about making money and when they find someone who makes money, they milk it for more than it's worth. Then when that cow goes dry, they spawn another dozen bands that sound the same, hoping to squeeze out those last few drops of blood.

I know there are plenty of crappy bands but I've protected myself from them by simply not listening to the radio. I play in a small band and we do our best to stay true to ourselves and play what's fun. I've managed to see many great bands lately. You just have to be willing to get out there and look for them.

As far as some of my personal favorites, here we go...
Roger Miller
Charles Mingus
Nomeansno
Fugazi
Alice Donut
Flatt & Scruggs
John Lee Hooker
RL Burnside
Jon Spencer's Blues Explosion
Ween
Gene Krupa
Dock Boggs
Beeny Goodman
Gods of Mars
Plot To Blow Up The Eiffel Tower
the Frogs
Flaming Lips
Wesley Willis (R.I.P. Rock Over Heaven, Rock On Chicago!)
Two Gallants
Impatient Youth
Husker Du
Jawbreaker
Willie Nelson
Ray Charles

Reminds me that I need to get some batteries for my walkman.
You're absolutely right that there still alot of good music being made nowadays, just you won't hear it on popular radio or mtv. You have to make an effort and switch to alternative radios or read specialized music magazines. Unfortunately I don't have that much time anymore as in my younger days...

Some of the better recent bands I like: Franz Ferdinand, The Kills, Mastadon, Interpol, Peter Pan Speedrock (from Holland), Hellacopters, Fu Manchu,...

I think the public is to blame for the tasteless music that's so popular these days...the big business only supplies what they want to hear. If the public wants to hear quality music made by real musicians, that's what the record companies will provide... if they want they hear ****, they'll put out ****...alot of it :rolleyes:

Jupiler said:
You're absolutely right that there still alot of good music being made nowadays, just you won't hear it on popular radio or mtv. You have to make an effort and switch to alternative radios or read specialized music magazines. Unfortunately I don't have that much time anymore as in my younger days...

Some of the better recent bands I like: Franz Ferdinand, The Kills, Mastadon, Interpol, Peter Pan Speedrock (from Holland), Hellacopters, Fu Manchu,...

I think the public is to blame for the tasteless music that's so popular these days...the big business only supplies what they want to hear. If the public wants to hear quality music made by real musicians, that's what the record companies will provide... if they want they hear ****, they'll put out ****...alot of it :rolleyes:

Personally I feel that is good thing that commercial record labels and popular radio/mtv have not infected quality music out there.

Lets face it, we live in a capitilist world where the bottomline is the dollar, the music industry does not differ from any other industry.

I for one also take great comfort knowing that most people ('the great beast') are into basically what I know is ****. **** that drops in advertising messages in their film clips whether it be in the lyrics or images, **** that has useless/meaningless lyrics not even written by the 'artists' themselves and **** that promotes the same everyday popular culture that most teens can not get past.

As I am writing this, somehow I am realising my own little hypocrisy. Seriously sometimes I think I enjoy the music that I love due to the fact that it is not mainstream - a kind of reactionary interest if you will. And sometimes I think the whole independant label/underground culture is cashing in big time. Call me cynical, but I think many quality artists out there are basically advertising their independant/underground image. Well I guess we all gotta make money and survive somehow.

I think I'll cease my ranting now :eek: . Currently on my playlist at the moment are outfits such as:
Queens of the stone age
The bloc party
Portishead
Tricky
Beck
Massive Attack
Love outside Andromeda
The cops
Architecture in Helsinki
Pink Floyd
NIN
white stripes
spiderbait
rage against the machine
audioslave

Current playlists include:

the thrills
neutral milk hotel
the pixies
interpol
antony
rufus wainwright
radiohead
brendan benson
modest mouse
tom waits

There's plenty of good stuff out there. Sure, mass media has a way of stifling out the the interesting material and saturating the field with drivel, but there's always a workaround. Find yourself a good record shop and go to town!

New current favorite I'm listening to a LOT now:

Robben Ford!.....Got really beautiful tones out of his Les Paul, better than any I've heard, when he recently toured with Greg Allman.

ahh, early floyd. howabout "The Madcap Laughs" of Sid Barrett. I've got it live from the BBC.

limerickman said:
Now that we're on to favourites : what music do you listen to ?

I usually work away on the PC listening to the Beatles, The Band, Cream.
Bought Echoes (the Best of Pink Floyd) at Christmas and have been listening to
the Floyd for the past couple of weeks.

Modern stuff doesn't really interest me to be honest.

Hypnospin said:
ahh, early floyd. howabout "The Madcap Laughs" of Sid Barrett. I've got it live from the BBC.
Well Ive found the best music to ride with is African groove - Fela Kuti, Baaba Maal et al. I reckon it give you at least another 2 kmh - until the batteries in your mp3 go flat or your legs drop off......
(Floyd are good tho, also Neil Young, Aussie groups like John Butler, Cat Empire etc - anything loud enough to drown out the blood ounding thru the ears)