First bike ride - what are the essentials?

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > determined wrote:
> > > I bought my bike and am planning a low-key ride this weekend of about
15
> > > miles.
> >
> > Depending on the terrain you ride, 15 miles is not really a 'low-key ride' - especially for your
> > first time out. Even if you're fit, you're going to be using different muscles. The one thing
> > you don't want to end up doing is getting very tired or in pain when you're still a long way
> > from home. You want to leave yourself keen for more.
> >
> > > What are the essentials? Water I'm guessing is #1...
> >
> > Water's always a good idea. After you've really started getting in to it, check out
> > www.camelbak.com
> >
> > For that
> > > matter, what type of gear/accessories do I need to go along with the
> bike?
> > > What do I need in a repair kit? Is it neccessary to buy the funky
bike
> > > shoes? Padded bicycle shorts? All I bought is the bike, a rack for
my
> car,
> > > and a helmet.
> >
> > Right the essentials (IMO)... Kit: You want gloves - they help keep your hands soft, and will
> > offer protection should you have a hand / ground interaction. Full-fingered is good. Glasses - a
> > pair of clear wrap-around glasses are a great investment as they keep bugs, branches and bits
> > chucked up from the wheels from going in your eyes. No need to go Oakley or the like, just
> > something cheap'll do - some people here even use industrial goggles. Shorts - Not really worth
> > skimping here as you'll pay for it in pain.
> >
> > In the backpack: Bike tool - your LBS should be able to advise you Spare tube and puncture
> > repair kit Small medi kit (including any medication) Food - there's another thread around at the
> > moment on this subject. Bananas are a bad idea - they don't like being chucked around a backpack
> > with tools, etc. Mobile - I believe you folks across the pond call it a 'cell phone'. For those
> > of us in Europe, coverage is complete, so it's worthwhile, but obviously pointless if you don't
> > have coverage where you are. NB - only to be used in an emergency. Like ordering pizza.
>

> I don't get complete coverage but i always take it with me. You'd be surprised sometimes where you
> can get some little pockets of coverage even in the remotest areas. And should i have some tragic,
> unrepairable fault
or
> damage to myself, limping to the nearest point of coverage is usually much closer than limping to
> the nearest point of civilisation. Last time I did that was when I had a major sidewall tear (the
> bike, not me) and
everything
> that I tried fixing it with failed. The g/f found me happily sitting by
the
> roadside munching a Mars bar while I was waiting. I also live with the optimistic hope that should
> I be lying unconcious
lost
> at the foot of a ravine that the search party, knowing that I always carry
> mobile, would have some high tech piece of equipment capable of finding a rogue cellphone signal
> amongst the wilderness....
>

> > Cash - never know when you'll need to buy food, drink or pay for a taxi when you're stuck in the
> > mountains with hypothermia <ahem>... If there's a chance of rain, pack a mac. PCs and Solaris
> > boxes don't work so well. Arf arf...
> >
> > Planning on attending some classes on the basics like
> > > shifting properly, making repairs, etc soon.
> >
> > Bike maintenance is very important and fortunately, it's not rocket science. People here will be
> > able to guide you, as will your LBS.
> >
> > Don't forget to have fun and then come back on Monday and write a RR (ride report).
>
> I'll second the ride report! Let us know how it went! I'll add that water (bottles in a cage or
> pack is fine), a patch kit, plastic tyre levers and a spare tube (and knowing how to use them),
> and padded shorts would be on my list of very basic essentials. Oh, and if alone be sure to tell
> someone where you are going and roughly
how
> long you'll be.
> --
> Westie

Oh yeah, nearly forgot <blush>, a bloody bike pump. They handy, they are!
--
Westie

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:38:14 -0400, Technician wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:11:40 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:
>>
>> > 37 cents
>>
>> ...in case you have an emergency need to mail something?
>
> Pay phone

A. A pay phone on the trail???
B. Then, why 37?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:55:25 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

> Oh, I have fresh ones too... but the emergency bar is just buried in there for an emergency. They
> just get kind of hard and chewy.

I had a Powerbar in the glove box of my truck "for emergencies" for about 5 years before I really
needed it. Funny, it didn't taste any different than a "fresh" one (which is why I quite buying
Powerbars".

> >> ...in case you have an emergency need to mail something?
> >
> > Pay phone
>
> A. A pay phone on the trail???

good point

> B. Then, why 37?

Some phones are a little screwy. one near where i live costs $.25 to initiate the call, then after a
minute, it asks for $.04 for each additional minute (but it wont take pennies, go figure).

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

Technician wrote:

>>On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:38:14 -0400, Technician wrote:
>>
>>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>>>Pay phone
>>
>>A. A pay phone on the trail???
>

> good point
>

>>B. Then, why 37?
>

> Some phones are a little screwy. one near where i live costs $.25 to initiate the call, then after
> a minute, it asks for $.04 for each additional minute (but it wont take pennies, go figure).
>
> ~Travis

You are all wrong.

It is a random amount of change generated from the cash sale of several different pre ride pastries.

But if I ever need to buy a stamp, you bishes are OWNED!

;*)

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

BB wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:55:25 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
>

>>Oh, I have fresh ones too... but the emergency bar is just buried in there for an emergency. They
>>just get kind of hard and chewy.
>

> I had a Powerbar in the glove box of my truck "for emergencies" for about 5 years before I really
> needed it. Funny, it didn't taste any different than a "fresh" one (which is why I quite buying
> Powerbars".

'Core climbers keep a ration of Purina Monkey Chow in their kit. It is perfectly
serviceable emergency food that successfully resists any temptation of snacking on it when
one is merely peckish.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As for clothing, you don't need bike shoes (yet :) but you REALLY should
buy
> some padded shorts! Your butt will still hurt like hell at first, but(t) nothing like it will if
> you go unpadded. Also buy some gloves.
>
> I'm sure I've forgotten something, but this should at least get you
started
> :)

Cable ties. Bunch of 'em. Long, and strong ones. Trust me.

Shaun aRe

"determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OAxra.670531$F1.88260@sccrnsc04...
> I bought my bike and am planning a low-key ride this weekend of about 15 miles. What are the
> essentials? Water I'm guessing is #1... For that matter, what type of gear/accessories do I need
> to go along with the bike? What do I need in a repair kit? Is it neccessary to buy the funky bike
> shoes? Padded bicycle shorts? All I bought is the bike, a rack for my
car,
> and a helmet. Planning on attending some classes on the basics like shifting properly, making
> repairs, etc soon.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> determined

I think the best thing to take with you is a friend.

> "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OAxra.670531$F1.88260@sccrnsc04...
> > I bought my bike and am planning a low-key ride this weekend of about 15 miles. What are the
> > essentials? Water I'm guessing is #1... For that matter, what type of gear/accessories do I need
> > to go along with the bike? What do I need in a repair kit? Is it neccessary to buy the funky
> > bike shoes? Padded bicycle shorts? All I bought is the bike, a rack for my
> car,
> > and a helmet. Planning on attending some classes on the basics like shifting properly, making
> > repairs, etc soon.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > determined
>
> I think the best thing to take with you is a friend.

An excellent idea.

I personally don't ride with others much as i am more of a loner, but somebody new to the trails
would want to take along a friend. preferably an experienced off-road biker, but doesn't have to be
(mutual learning tends to make a friendship stronger).

If you do ride alone, a cell phone is nice in case of emergencies (providing you don't fall on
it). and at the very least, tell somebody where you are going and give 'em a rough timeline of
when you plan to be back, taking into account any mishaps, like changing a flat, finding a new
trail, and so on.

~Travis
--

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:17:50 GMT, "determined" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I bought my bike and am planning a low-key ride this weekend of about 15 miles. What are the
>essentials? Water I'm guessing is #1...

Good guess. hydrate or die.

>For that matter, what type of gear/accessories do I need to go along with the bike?

Shirley you jest!....don't get me started.

>What do I need in a repair kit?

Simple tools that work on your bike.

>Is it neccessary to buy the funky bike shoes? Padded bicycle shorts?

I'd recommend padded shorts. go with the "funky bike shoes" later. I suspect you mean some type of
clippless shoes. Build some skills first then get them.

>All I bought is the bike, a rack for my car,

Why does your bike need a car rack? I'm not saying you don't but asses the reasons. Do you really
need to put transport you bike to your riding destination?

>and a helmet. Planning on attending some classes on the basics like shifting properly, making
>repairs, etc soon.

VERY GOOD!

>Thanks again!
>
>determined

Welcome aboard, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:14:55 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Petree wrote:
>> Besides water you may want a little snack, such as a banana, or fat free fig newton.
>
>why fat free? Are you doing a special diet or something? Fat ( in appropriate amounts) is an
>essential componet of a good balanced diet... espeically for someone doing a sport that requires a
>lot of energy out put.

You go Penny!....A body NEEDS fat!

>Penny

:-]