First Major ride in 20 years

hippie

Sep 9, 2010
As the the Thread title says, im going on my first major ride in 20 years Tommorow weather permitting. There is a local club the Suncoast cycling club, in Largo/ Cleatwater FL. I bought Two Camelbak podium Ice water bottles, & 4 PowerBar gel packs. I plane on eating a good Breakfast of oatmeal & a Banana, at least 1 hr or more before the ride. Is there anything else that might help ?. The ride will either be 25,33, or 44 miles.

hippie said:
As the the Thread title says, im going on my first major ride in 20 years Tommorow weather permitting. There is a local club the Suncoast cycling club, in Largo/ Cleatwater FL. I bought Two Camelbak podium Ice water bottles, & 4 PowerBar gel packs. I plane on eating a good Breakfast of oatmeal & a Banana, at least 1 hr or more before the ride. Is there anything else that might help ?. The ride will either be 25,33, or 44 miles.

Yeah, there is one other thing: have fun.

Well i made it :D. the ride was 44.8 miles, with Two Bridge climbs were i got dropped . I cought back up when some of the group stopped to change a tire. I started having trouble after the 28 - 30 mile or so mark. Several guys fell back to help me make it back. I ended up drinking 4 bottles of water. All in all it was a good time.

Glad you had a good time. Essentially, it is rough when you start. Being a previous rider, I'm sure you knew what you were in for. I would encourage you to keep riding with a group, maybe some 20-25 mile rides while you build back your endurance.

I went back to my old riding group for an easier ride today so as to freshen my legs, but not kill myself like I usually do by getting over motivated with the fast group I normally ride with. All this because I have a race tomorrow. But even still, I was passing people like it was nothing. I even pulled a draft for 3 miles for a group of riders not in my group. I had to push a little.

The point, it's a great feeling to see your progress. So get in some rides more frequently, and it will shower you in great returns.