FIZIK saddle and numbness

djlance

May 17, 2005
currently i own a FIZIK Arione that i use on my cannondale. For some reason i dont know if it is to far back or too far foward, every time i pedal down with my right leg i feel a rocking back and forth of my um......man region, after a while i starts to go numb and gets irritated. I dont know if it is my leg length being to short or long or if my seat is too high. I have measured correctly and have the correct set up on my bike to where it is suppose to be but for some reason i still get a chaffing in that region. Any suggestions would be helpful

djlance said:
currently i own a FIZIK Arione that i use on my cannondale. For some reason i dont know if it is to far back or too far foward, every time i pedal down with my right leg i feel a rocking back and forth of my um......man region, after a while i starts to go numb and gets irritated. I dont know if it is my leg length being to short or long or if my seat is too high. I have measured correctly and have the correct set up on my bike to where it is suppose to be but for some reason i still get a chaffing in that region. Any suggestions would be helpful
If you are sure that the saddle height is correct, try moving the saddle forwards (or backwards). You have plenty of rail length to play with. It took me about 6 tries to get the right position with the Arione and now I'm very happy.

but for some reason i have tried that see the problem isnt with my genitals going numb its like right below them for some reason that little patch of skin gets irritated, i know this is a wierd subject buts its really frustrating, im 6'0 tall and as of today i moved it foward just a little bit to see if it helped, helped a little bit but was wondering if there was a saddle such as the Selle San Marco Concor that would be better or would a middle cut out seat with gel be better?

patch70 said:
If you are sure that the saddle height is correct, try moving the saddle forwards (or backwards). You have plenty of rail length to play with. It took me about 6 tries to get the right position with the Arione and now I'm very happy.

djlance said:
but for some reason i have tried that see the problem isnt with my genitals going numb its like right below them for some reason that little patch of skin gets irritated, i know this is a wierd subject buts its really frustrating, im 6'0 tall and as of today i moved it foward just a little bit to see if it helped, helped a little bit but was wondering if there was a saddle such as the Selle San Marco Concor that would be better or would a middle cut out seat with gel be better?
The rocking could be caused by your right leg being shorter than your left (leg length differences aren't that unusual). You might checking leg length, or go to a good LBS with someone who knows bike fit. Just lowering the seat might help, or maybe you need a shim under your right pedal.

Also, sitting to far forward on the narrow part of the long Arione could be putting pressure on your soft tissue rather than on the sitz bones. Slide back as far as possible and see how that feels....you can always slide the saddle forward to correct position.

Most italian saddles are borderline in width for a 6 footer anyway. Specialized makes saddles now in about 3 different widths, and has a little gel pad you sit on (the Assometer) in the store to get fitted. You might give them a try.

Last, I've found the Arione is comfortable only with the saddle dead-level. First installed it slightly nose-down, and it just wasn't right. I adjusted the tilt with a level on it from nose to tail, and that did the trick.

I recently installed the airone carbon. I had quite a bit of chaffing in the area you describe with the seat nose up 4mm and at level. I finally dropped it 4mm off level and what a difference. I have no problems after 60-80 mile OD rides whereas before with the higher nose I was hurting for a good portion of the ride. I recommend trying a number of different seat positions before you give up on it. This seat puts my selle san marco to shame.

Yeah I hve to gree with dhk and ptch.I had the same problem and by moving your saddle forward or back it helps to alleviate the problem.Keep on trying.:)

djlance said:

Get a recumbent and u won't have any issues...