FLÈCHE WALLONNE 2009 : Wed 22nd April

Chasing group are pushing on : freire is at the head of the chasing group.

The foot of the Mur is fast approaching.

Valverde group of six are caught.

Cunego, Evans, Valverde, Rebellin, Gilbert, Van sumeran, : all the big names are now positioning for the Mur.

Freire looks good : might be a contender : 2kms to go. Pace is very high but the real climb is left to come.

Might favour Cunego

Rebellin wins, Schleck second, Cunego third.

Rebellin makes it look far, far too easy.

Rebellin looks tired - on the TV interview - refreshing to see a winner who's tired and breathing hard.

limerickman said:
Rebellin looks tired - on the TV interview - refreshing to see a winner who's tired and breathing hard.
Just got back from the gym in time to catch the final ascent of the Mur. Looks like Evans went too early, should have stuck to wheel sucking and then jumped at the end. I was a bit worried about how Rebellin made it look easy (was watching a dodgy online feed) but glad to hear he was looking fecked during the interview. Hope he's not faking! :D

Rolfrae said:
I was a bit worried about how Rebellin made it look easy (was watching a dodgy online feed) but glad to hear he was looking fecked during the interview. Hope he's not faking! :D

Rebellin was breathing hard - sweat pouting down off his face, during the interview.

Agree about Evans - he did go too early.

limerickman said:
Rebellin was breathing hard - sweat pouting down off his face, during the interview.

Agree about Evans - he did go too early.
Also looked like Evans had a problem with his gears on the last corner, either they skipped or he fluffed a gear change? Might just have been my dodgy feed.

RdBiker said:
I'll go for Cunego too. Valverde would be my bet but since he's targeting the Tour I think he hasn't prepared well enough for the classics. Andy Schleck should be better in July too.
***********, Cunego was third! This was the first time my prediction got even remotely close :D (after 2005 when I "predicted" that Armstrong would win the Tour...)
What happened to Valverde? I thought his "kick" would've made him a favourite in the end if they came in together.

RdBiker said:
***********, Cunego was third! This was the first time my prediction got even remotely close :D (after 2005 when I "predicted" that Armstrong would win the Tour...)
What happened to Valverde? I thought his "kick" would've made him a favourite in the end if they came in together.

Valverde could not stay with Evans and started to drop back as Rebellin, Cunego and Sanchez went by him.

Finished somewhere areound 10th spot.
The top of the Mur caught him (and many others) out.

Rolfrae said:
Also looked like Evans had a problem with his gears on the last corner, either they skipped or he fluffed a gear change? Might just have been my dodgy feed.

Evans didn't (couldn't?) react to Rebellin or Schleck for some reason.
I didn't see if he slipped a gear or not as I was too busy watching to see if Schleck was going to close down Rebellin.

limerickman said:
Evans didn't (couldn't?) react to Rebellin or Schleck for some reason.
I didn't see if he slipped a gear or not as I was too busy watching to see if Schleck was going to close down Rebellin.
It was before Schleck and Rebellin came past him. Well, if he needs an excuse, I just made one up for him. :D

adamastor said:
Andy Schleck will be the man...
Just back from work. Missed it, but will watch summary on Lux news. Looks like my prediction almost went true :eek:)

If Andy manages to drop the crowd in the last 15kms of LBL, he'll have a chance. If in a group of 2, 3 or more, he's dead...

About Kirchen:

Eldrack said:
I don't think lacking kilometers will be an issue....
Sorry if I missed what you meant, or if I did not explain correctly, I said Kirchen will not win because he is lacking the kms, i.e. he's missing training units back from injury.

Result: he gave up 30kms from the finish. I think I made my point.:D

Just watched FW again tonight : Roman Kreuziger rode very well today.
Granted he finished 51st on GC - but the guy rode strongly throughout the race, until the Mur.

Serguei Ivanov also rode very very strongly - especially after a great race on Sunday (Amstel Gold).

Rolfrae said:
dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd