Flight Deck wireless sensor on rear wheel

renetorres

Sep 5, 2004
Can anyone tell me if the Flight Deck SC-6501 Wireless speed sensor can be detected from the rear wheel so I can use it with my trainer?

Thanks, Rene

renetorres said:
Can anyone tell me if the Flight Deck SC-6501 Wireless speed sensor can be detected from the rear wheel so I can use it with my trainer?

Thanks, Rene
No offense, Rene, but it's questions like this that make people not want to answer our newbie questions. I am new here myself but have read enough and used the search function enough to know that the sensor does not work on the rear wheel for use with trainers.

No offense taken. However, I spent over 40 minutes searching the threads for the answer to this question. I looked in the archives as well as the new items. I searched shimano, rear wheel sensors, flight deck, SC6501, wireless, and myriad combinations of these and more. I expanded the search to include computers threads in general. I found exactly ONE reference to the fact that for that one person, it had not worked. But then he (or she, I forgot) had had other conflicts with Polar sensors as well. If there are indeed many "hits" about this subject specifically for the SC-6501 Flight Deck, I would appreciate knowing under what search criteria they are found.

THAT is why I decided after much deliberation to post the question. It was specifically addressing the SC6501, as in fact without having to bother the forum, I have managed to get every other speed sensing gadget I own, (Polar, Trek, cyclefxITS, ) some of them wireless, to work on the rear wheel just fine.

As stated above, I am not offended, but I am a little disappointed at the response. The assumption that I posted without searching is speculative and unwarranted.

I am an electronics engineer with a Ph.D. I'm sure I will get this gadget to work one way or another, even if I have to build it an amplifier or boost the receiver sensitivity. However, 40 minutes of searching so as not to bother the forum WAS spent. Please do not assume things not in evidence. Posting everything I did prior to the post would have been superfluous.

Thanks, (Dr.) Rene Torres

renetorres said:
.... I am an electronics engineer with a Ph.D. I'm sure I will get this gadget to work one way or another, even if I have to build it an amplifier or boost the receiver sensitivity. However, 40 minutes of searching so as not to bother the forum WAS spent. Please do not assume things not in evidence. Posting everything I did prior to the post would have been superfluous.

Thanks, (Dr.) Rene Torres
I apologize if my response came across as "rude". It was certainly not my intention. It's just that it was your very first post so, yes, I did assume you didn't look first. I'm a moderator on another Internet forum and it just gets frustrating when people ask questions that answers are easily found for. I'm a newbie here and just want our questions to be answered by those "in the know" without getting too much hassle (or being ignored altogether even).

I'm glad you have a Ph.D. and all but circuit analysis doesn't have anything to do with effective Internet searching. It is my fault that I was mistaken as to where I read it though. It was not on this forum. Searching for "flight deck wireless on rear wheel" returned the following helpful items on Google...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=11433

http://valleybicycles.com/BikeSpeak/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=2113

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=595367

The transmitter, according to the flight deck manual, does not appear to be omni-directional so you'll need to come up with more than just boosting the output but would also need to account for directional tranmission. It states...

Set the positions so that the distance between the meter and the sensor are within the following: Vertical: 50 cm Horizontal: 10 cm
By all means, I wish you luck. I think it's more trouble than it's worth IMO but I'm sure others might like to hear details on your design plans. It sounds like an interesting project. Don't forget to come back and share your schematics with others so they can use your design on their setup as well.

ILLUMINAIRE said:
I apologize if my response came across as "rude". It was certainly not my intention. It's just that it was your very first post so, yes, I did assume you didn't look first. I'm a moderator on another Internet forum and it just gets frustrating when people ask questions that answers are easily found for. I'm a newbie here and just want our questions to be answered by those "in the know" without getting too much hassle (or being ignored altogether even).

I'm glad you have a Ph.D. and all but circuit analysis doesn't have anything to do with effective Internet searching. It is my fault that I was mistaken as to where I read it though. It was not on this forum. Searching for "flight deck wireless on rear wheel" returned the following helpful items on Google...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=11433

http://valleybicycles.com/BikeSpeak/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=2113

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=595367

The transmitter, according to the flight deck manual, does not appear to be omni-directional so you'll need to come up with more than just boosting the output but would also need to account for directional tranmission. It states...

By all means, I wish you luck. I think it's more trouble than it's worth IMO but I'm sure others might like to hear details on your design plans. It sounds like an interesting project. Don't forget to come back and share your schematics with others so they can use your design on their setup as well.
Thanks for the info. I will certainly look up Google searches as well next time I need it.

Shimano USA is in Irvine CA a few miles from here. I aim to contact them tomorrow about this, and see if they have any remedies, or at least if they can let me see the schematics and/or specs (although this might be iffy). If you wish, I can keep the group posted on developments, should any arise. Again, thanks for the prompt and most helpful reply.

renetorres said:
...If you wish, I can keep the group posted on developments, should any arise...
I would definitely come back and post what you find out...good or bad. That way if anyone should do a search in the future, they can learn whatever you found out.

ILLUMINAIRE said:
I would definitely come back and post what you find out....
OK, I'll do that. BTW I searched those threads you gave me, and although they were not specific enough for what I have in mind, it did give me three new forums to search through! For that I am very grateful.