Foam Cycling Jackets - still available?

Julian Bosley

Guest
About ten years ago I bought a winter jacket made of open cell foam
laminated between very fine stretchy fabric. It was excellent - not sweaty,
dried quickly, warm and windproof. I can't find them anywhere now - just
breathables and windstopper. Anyone remember these, know what they are
called, and whether one can still obtain them? I get so much too hot in
goretex and the like.

Thanks in advance, Jules

Julian Bosley wrote:
> About ten years ago I bought a winter jacket made of open cell foam
> laminated between very fine stretchy fabric. It was excellent - not
> sweaty, dried quickly, warm and windproof. I can't find them anywhere
> now - just breathables and windstopper. Anyone remember these, know
> what they are called, and whether one can still obtain them? I get so
> much too hot in goretex and the like.

Can't help you with the jacket you describe.

However, I use a Pertex shell * over various non windproof clothes; anything
from normal wool jumper (trips to the shops) through to two or more thin
fleeces (long rides). The shell is windproof, slightly water repellant
(ie. ok in drissle or fog, but will let water in fast if its rain). Its
much much more breathable than any waterproof would be.

* I use a Montane shell, in pullover form, cost about £30. Screws up into a
ball the size of a modest apple and weighs about the same.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Julian Bosley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> About ten years ago I bought a winter jacket made of open cell foam
> laminated between very fine stretchy fabric. It was excellent - not
> sweaty, dried quickly, warm and windproof. I can't find them anywhere
> now - just breathables and windstopper. Anyone remember these, know what
> they are called, and whether one can still obtain them? I get so much too
> hot in goretex and the like.
>
> Thanks in advance, Jules

Try Interbike at Marks Tey, Colchester. They have lots of obsolete
continental team strip, including, last time I was in there, this sort of
thing.

Thanks - I have a montane in my wardrobe and use it regularly, but I still
want a foam jacket. Unfortunately my last one got torn up in a crash. I'll
try interbike - I live at Debenham so it's not too far - thanks for the
pointer.
"Budstaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Julian Bosley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> About ten years ago I bought a winter jacket made of open cell foam
>> laminated between very fine stretchy fabric. It was excellent - not
>> sweaty, dried quickly, warm and windproof. I can't find them anywhere
>> now - just breathables and windstopper. Anyone remember these, know what
>> they are called, and whether one can still obtain them? I get so much too
>> hot in goretex and the like.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Jules
>>

> Try Interbike at Marks Tey, Colchester. They have lots of obsolete
> continental team strip, including, last time I was in there, this sort of
> thing.

"Julian Bosley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> About ten years ago I bought a winter jacket made of open cell foam
> laminated between very fine stretchy fabric. It was excellent - not
> sweaty, dried quickly, warm and windproof. I can't find them anywhere
> now - just breathables and windstopper. Anyone remember these, know what
> they are called, and whether one can still obtain them? I get so much too
> hot in goretex and the like.
>
> Thanks in advance, Jules

I have a sort of foamy type jacket by Nico lapage (or Nicola page, I'm never
entirely sure).
A friend bought it for me from Oxfam, best bit of kit I've ever had
(almost). Florescent green it is. no idea if you can still get them though.
Probably had it for a good 10 years. 3 pockets at the back.
Colin

Perhaps not my best bit of kit ever..but getting on that way. I'm starting
the search with EBAY.
news:[email protected]...