Food around the country

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have it in mind to take a cross-country drive this summer--
> taking about two months or so to do it. I plan to camp
> most nights, if possible, motels other nights (especially
> when in/near a city).
>
> I was wondering if anyone could suggest places to stop
> (towns, routes, or specific eateries) to keep in mind--
> i.e., particularly special places for food.
>
> My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have a
> vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through PA,
> to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me). I'm
> even less certain of where to go then... I suppose New
> Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from
> there.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm still figuring out what to see, so my
> path is subject to much change.

I think you may find little variation in foods
travelling the northern route west of Minnesota until
you get to Seattle.

When you head east from San Francisco, stop in Reno; it's a
cool town, nothing like Vegas, with some good places to eat.
After Reno, split off route 80 in Fallon and take US Route
50 through Nevada and Utah; it's very scenic and there are
some cool towns to stop in along the way. There's a nice
barroom in Austin, NV. When you get into Utah, stop in
Salina and go to Mom's; it's a diner with good home-cooked
style food. Real mashed potatoes, you know the drill. After
that you can catch I-70 which will take you into Colorado.
Notable stops along the way are Grand Junction and Glenwood
Springs. After that head into Denver, which is a treasure
trove of restaurants. You should visit Boulder, too. East of
Denver begins another void, where everything blurs together
into a chicken fried steak/burger/gravy joint kinda thing,
so you may want to head south and east from there.

> I'm not interested in fancy places, and my focus isn't on
> a place that simply makes a very good hamburger (unless
> there's something to set it apart). I'd like places that,
> for example (1) have food you can't get elsewhere (either
> at all, or with nearly the same quality), and (2) serve
> well as a story to tell people--"I went to this
> interesting place outside of this town ...."
>
> I'll probably do a lot of cooking on my camp stove, so
> even places that sell things to later cook in a pot or cast-
> iron pan over a Coleman Dual-Fuel stove would be welcome
> (I'm bringing minimal food preparation gear, so I plan to
> keep such cooking simple). I haven't worked out the issue
> of refrigeration, yet.

Those electric coolers that plug in to cigarette lighters or
the 12V outlets in trucks work well. The food has to be cold
when placed in them, but they'll keep them cold. I used one
on a x-country trip in 99 with success. Even regular coolers
are incredibly insulated these days so carrying food on a
road trip is a lot easier than it used to be.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Scott wrote:

> I have it in mind to take a cross-country drive this summer--
> taking about two months or so to do it. I plan to camp
> most nights, if possible, motels other nights (especially
> when in/near a city).
>
> I was wondering if anyone could suggest places to stop
> (towns, routes, or specific eateries) to keep in mind--
> i.e., particularly special places for food.

I don't have any specific recommendations but I found that
asking people along the way was a great way to find out what
is good and what is not. For example, decided to take a few
weeks to drive to California. Stopped at tourist information
centres. Talked with locals and truckers. Found out a lot of
things I would never find on my own. Getting of the
Interstate highways was a scary thought when you are in the
middle of nowhere on a motorcycle. Having a trucker tell me
some of the more scenic routes made it a little safer.

> My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have a
> vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through PA,
> to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me). I'm
> even less certain of where to go then... I suppose New
> Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from
> there.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm still figuring out what to see, so my
> path is subject to much change.

It has been a while but I found Nebraska to have some
pretty good food and some very nice people. If you like
venison or slightly exotic meats you might find something
interesting there.

> I'm not interested in fancy places, and my focus isn't on
> a place that simply makes a very good hamburger (unless
> there's something to set it apart). I'd like places that,
> for example (1) have food you can't get elsewhere (either
> at all, or with nearly the same quality), and (2) serve
> well as a story to tell people--"I went to this
> interesting place outside of this town ...."
>
> I'll probably do a lot of cooking on my camp stove, so
> even places that sell things to later cook in a pot or cast-
> iron pan over a Coleman Dual-Fuel stove would be welcome
> (I'm bringing minimal food preparation gear, so I plan to
> keep such cooking simple). I haven't worked out the issue
> of refrigeration, yet.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
e-mail to [email protected]

> [...]

> please mail OT responses only

--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
e-mail to [email protected]

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have a
> vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through PA,
> to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me). I'm
> even less certain of where to go then... I suppose New
> Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from

While in Michigan, definitely stop at Zingerman's in Ann
Arbor. It's actually become a bit of an empire now, with 4
or 5 different shops in town, all good. My husband and I
often talk about making a trip out there to eat at the
Bakehouse for breakfast, Delicatessen for lunch and
Roadhouse for dinner (just looked at their website to see
they have a Creamery as well now which means ice cream for
dessert!). If you only have time for one, I'd recommend the
Deli--the sandwiches are something I still dream about
(though not cheap--last time I was there, about 5 years ago,
they were running about $9 but they also fed 2 people). They
also have a great market for picking up supplies for camp-
stove cooking. http://www.zingermans.com

About 4 hours north and slightly west of Zingerman's is
Traverse City which is a cute little town. Can't recommend
any specific places to eat but if you're there in July, the
cherry festival is a lot of fun (assuming you like cherries,
because you're going to be inundated with them). The drive
along the lake is beautiful as well and there is good
camping near Sleeping Bear Dunes which is not far from
Traverse City. And don't forget to pick up some Mackinac
Island fudge when you're crossing over to the Upper
Peninsula! If you can find Mackinac Island fudge ice cream,
even better (Stucchis in Ann Arbor has it).

Have fun!

Laura

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have a
> vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through PA,
> to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me). I'm
> even less certain of where to go then... I suppose New
> Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from
> there.

While in Michigan, definitely stop at Zingerman's in Ann
Arbor. It's actually become a bit of an empire now, with 4
or 5 different shops in town, all good. My husband and I
often talk about making a trip out there to eat at the
Bakehouse for breakfast, Delicatessen for lunch and
Roadhouse for dinner (just looked at their website to see
they have a Creamery as well now which means ice cream for
dessert!). If you only have time for one, I'd recommend the
Deli--the sandwiches are something I still dream about
(though not cheap--last time I was there, about 5 years ago,
they were running about $9 but they also fed 2 people). They
also have a great market for picking up supplies for camp-
stove cooking. http://www.zingermans.com

About 4 hours north and slightly west of Zingerman's is
Traverse City which is a cute little town. Can't recommend
any specific places to eat but if you're there in July, the
cherry festival is a lot of fun (assuming you like cherries,
because you're going to be inundated with them). The drive
along the lake is beautiful as well and there is good
camping near Sleeping Bear Dunes which is not far from
Traverse City. And don't forget to pick up some Mackinac
Island fudge when you're crossing over to the Upper
Peninsula! If you can find Mackinac Island fudge ice cream,
even better (Stucchis in Ann Arbor has it).

Have fun!

Laura

I have used RoadFood (books) by Michael & Jane Stern for
over 20 years and NEVER had a bad experience! Besides which,
they're fun to just read. One problem - in one edition, the
Sterns said there is no food in North Dakota. Not true, you
have to find it. I think your journey from Minnesota to
Idaho will take you through North Dakota. If so, please EMil
me and I'll send to a list of places in ND and an invitation
to lunch if you're going thru Fargo (which you'll pretty
well have to!

Lynn from Fargo

I have used RoadFood (books) by Michael & Jane Stern for
over 20 years and NEVER had a bad experience! Besides which,
they're fun to just read. One problem - in one edition, the
Sterns said there is no food in North Dakota. Not true, you
have to find it. I think your journey from Minnesota to
Idaho will take you through North Dakota. If so, please EMil
me and I'll send to a list of places in ND and an invitation
to lunch if you're going thru Fargo (which you'll pretty
well have to!

Lynn from Fargo

"SportKite1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: Scott
>
> >I have it in mind to take a cross-country drive this summer--
> >taking about two months or so to do it. I plan to camp
> >most nights, if possible, motels other nights (especially
> >when in/near a city).
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone could suggest places to stop
> >(towns, routes, or specific eateries) to keep in mind--
> >i.e., particularly special places for food.
> >
> >My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have
> >a vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through
> >PA, to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> >Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> >S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> > Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> > California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> > then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> > Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me).
> > I'm even less certain of where to go then... I suppose
> > New Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from
> > there.
>
> >Any suggestions? I'm still figuring out what to see, so
> >my path is subject to much change.
>
> Sounds like an incredible journey. I'm envious. Before I
> get into the Oregon/California leg of your trip I'll jump
> ahead as to where I'd go
after
> Colorado. I'd dip south to Taos and on to Santa Fe, NM.
> New Mexico is
gorgeous,
> though hot hot hot in the Summer. But locally made SW
> cuisine is worth it.
I'd
> trek quickly through Amarillo/OK City/Arkansas as fast as
> possible to get
> Memphis, possibly moving through Tennesse with a
> planned stop in
Nashville. But
> the ultimate end for me would be Asheville, NC. Check out
> those Smokies,
man!
> Chase a few waterfalls, check out Chimney Rock, Lake Lure,
> Cherokee...it's
all
> gorgeous. After that, hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and go
> north to Virginia.

I agree with heading south into NM for some great New
Mexican food.

Asheville - Salsa's restaurant is awwwwwsome. Eclectic mix
of Latino type foods.

Jack 66

"SportKite1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: Scott
>
> >I have it in mind to take a cross-country drive this summer--
> >taking about two months or so to do it. I plan to camp
> >most nights, if possible, motels other nights (especially
> >when in/near a city).
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone could suggest places to stop
> >(towns, routes, or specific eateries) to keep in mind--
> >i.e., particularly special places for food.
> >
> >My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have
> >a vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through
> >PA, to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> >Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> >S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> > Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> > California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> > then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> > Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me).
> > I'm even less certain of where to go then... I suppose
> > New Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from
> > there.
>
> >Any suggestions? I'm still figuring out what to see, so
> >my path is subject to much change.
>
> Sounds like an incredible journey. I'm envious. Before I
> get into the Oregon/California leg of your trip I'll jump
> ahead as to where I'd go
after
> Colorado. I'd dip south to Taos and on to Santa Fe, NM.
> New Mexico is
gorgeous,
> though hot hot hot in the Summer. But locally made SW
> cuisine is worth it.
I'd
> trek quickly through Amarillo/OK City/Arkansas as fast as
> possible to get
> Memphis, possibly moving through Tennesse with a
> planned stop in
Nashville. But
> the ultimate end for me would be Asheville, NC. Check out
> those Smokies,
man!
> Chase a few waterfalls, check out Chimney Rock, Lake Lure,
> Cherokee...it's
all
> gorgeous. After that, hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and go
> north to Virginia.

I agree with heading south into NM for some great New
Mexican food.

Asheville - Salsa's restaurant is awwwwwsome. Eclectic mix
of Latino type foods.

Jack 66

In article <[email protected]>,
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> You'll let me know when, right?

D'oh! Missed you this past summer... actually, circumstances
were such that I almost certainly couldn't have made it,
anyway. You're not far from Rochester, right? Seems that I
remember seeing something about campgrounds an hour or two
outside of the city.

----

In article <[email protected]>, "Saerah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> the UP is gorgeous! (as are northern wisconsin and
> minnesota). ive spent some time nearly every summer since
> i was 2 there. my mother told me about a nice campground
> near naubinway ( i think, ill have to ask her tomorrow)
> that is on the lake. there is a state forest campground
> near garden as well, that is nice, but the beach has
> deteriorated somewhat since i was a kid. there are some
> decent hiking trails there, provided the tide is low.
> [serious
snippage]

Well, you sold me on the UP!

----

In article <[email protected]>,
MareCat <[email protected]> wrote:

> Add Texas to your list of places to visit. Very
> interesting and diverse state (very big state, too, so
> allow plenty of traveling time). Also, three cities in TX
> are among the 10 largest cities in the U.S. (Houston--4th
> largest, Dallas--8th largest, and San Antonio--9th
> largest).

Any particular recommendations? It's a *big* state to
commit to.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> the UP is gorgeous! (as are northern wisconsin and
> minnesota). ive spent some time nearly every summer since
> i was 2 there. my mother told me about a nice campground
> near naubinway ( i think, ill have to ask her tomorrow)
> that is on the lake. there is a state forest campground
> near garden as well, that is nice, but the beach has
> deteriorated somewhat since i was a kid. there are some
> decent hiking trails there, provided the tide is low.
> [serious
snippage]

Well, you sold me on the UP!

----

[email protected] (SportKite1) wrote:

> Sounds like an incredible journey. I'm envious. Before I
> get into the Oregon/California leg of your trip I'll jump
> ahead as to where I'd go after Colorado. I'd dip south to
> Taos and on to Santa Fe, NM. New Mexico is gorgeous,
> though hot hot hot in the Summer. But locally made SW
> cuisine is worth it. I'd trek quickly through Amarillo/OK
> City/Arkansas as fast as possible to get to Memphis,
> possibly moving through Tennesse with a planned stop in
> Nashville. But the ultimate end for me would be Asheville,
> NC. Check out those Smokies, man! Chase a few waterfalls,
> check out Chimney Rock, Lake Lure, Cherokee...it's all
> gorgeous. After that, hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and go
> north to Virginia.

So you'd skip the Gulf states? Never been to Nawlins. I just
missed the Blue Ridge not long ago--I woke up early one
Sunday morning (around 4 AM) and decided to drive down to
Virginia. Did about 1100 miles in two days. Saw Monticello,
though. When you say you'd "trek quickly through Amarillo/OK
City/Arkansas as fast as possible," is there just nothing to
see there? Would an alternate route be better?

> Back to Oregon. The coast is great, but Eugene is amazing.
> If you find yourself there around mid-July you have to go
> to the Country Faire.
> http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/It's an awesome blast to
> the past. Nothing like it in the world. Oregon micro beer
> is amazing. Check out McMennimins.

Looks like the Fair is July 9-11; I don't think I'll be that
far west that early.

> Packets of instant oatmeal, aeseptic containers of rice
> milk and dried fruits will start off your morning. Shelf
> stable tuna is a high protein snack. If you are into tofu,
> Mori-Lu aeseptic is shelf stable, as are There are some
> pretty decent spice/dehydrated vegie mixes that can be
> combined with it for a good stirfry for dinner. Keep a
> bottle of olive oil on hand.

I often go for the real oatmeal in the morning--boil water
the night before, drop in the oats, let it cool, then before
I go to bed, lock it in my cooler (which has straps around
it to keep the raccoons out. Reheat the next morning, add
nuts and raisins.

I have GOT to figure out what I'm going to do about the
biggest essential: morning coffee. When I go camping, I
pack a couple day's worth of my home-roasted beans... which
won't be practical on the extended trip (feasible, yes,
practical, no).

> As for dining out: Foodie musts in Oregon: Fresh
> Oregon Produce wherever you can. Spotted prawns right
> off the boats in Arcadia. Wild Salmon. Mushrooms.
> Handcrafted Beer!
>
> Foodie musts in San Francisco Dim Sum in Chinatown - don't
> do sit down, hit the bakeries for to-go. Mexican in the
> Mission for amazing burritoes and for sentimental reasons,
> Tommy's Joynt. http://www.tommysjoynt.com/

Is San Francisco's Chinatown offer that much more than New
York's? When I lived in NYC, my friend and I would go to
Chinatown every week or so. He was born in China and grew up
in downtown NYC, so he *really* knew what to order.

> One more thing. Keep us posted about your trip. You never
> know who might lend you a place to crash and a hot shower
> amongst this wild and crazy rfc's.

*IF* this trip goes ahead (it hinges on various family
disasters working out), I plan on signing up with T-Mobile
or other wireless ISP, so I can get regular access to the
'net. I'll probably have to set up another Usenet account--I
doubt my ISP will let me connect while on the road.

> [...]

> do sit down, hit the bakeries for to-go. Mexican in the
> Mission for amazing burritoes and for sentimental reasons,
> Tommy's Joynt. http://www.tommysjoynt.com/

Is San Francisco's Chinatown offer that much more than New
York's? When I lived in NYC, my friend and I would go to
Chinatown every week or so. He was born in China and grew up
in downtown NYC, so he *really* knew what to order.

> One more thing. Keep us posted about your trip. You never
> know who might lend you a place to crash and a hot shower
> amongst this wild and crazy rfc's.

*IF* this trip goes ahead (it hinges on various family
disasters working out), I plan on signing up with T-Mobile
or other wireless ISP, so I can get regular access to the
'net. I'll probably have to set up another Usenet account--I
doubt my ISP will let me connect while on the road.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Cindy Fuller <[email protected]> wrote:

> It sounds as if you plan on taking I-90 to I-5, then east
> on I-80 from San Francisco. If you get anywhere near
> Glacier National Park in Montana (which is a far piece
> from I-90), you need to stop at the Park Cafe in St. Mary.
> It's at the eastern end of the Going-to-the-Sun Road (the
> main road through the park). They make good grub, but
> their true specialty is pies.

Someone warned me against I-5. Specifically, they said "I
wouldn't advise I5... a lot of boring territory." True?

> When/if you come to Seattle, you must go to Pike Place
> Market. Go early in the morning to avoid the onslaught of
> turistas and cruise ship shoppers. Have breakfast at the
> Athenian Inn, or grab a baked goodie and some coffee and
> watch people, ferry boats, etc. in the park to the north
> of the market. On a nice day, you'll be able to see Mount
> Rainier from that park. You can also get provisions for
> the next couple of days on the road at the market.

Is there decent parking in the area? The cities I'm used
to (NY, Boston) have terrible parking, especially near
popular areas.

> If you have problems with excessive heat and humidity
> in the summer, New Orleans is the last place you want
> to visit. It can be pretty oppressive, even in April
> or November. I hear tell the mosquitoes are the size
> of crows.

Good point. But I'm not sure where else to go in that east-
west region--the alternative is Arkansas, maybe Missouri.

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, if you go north in Wisconsin, hit Door County and go
> to a fishboil. Not only is the scenery up there beautiful,
> but many places do a fantastic fishboil that is to die
> for. No specific names of places, but camping grounds have
> them frequently. Perhaps someone else can give you
> specifics. In any case, it's an outdoor event due to the
> fact that it's done in a LARGE pot over a huge fire. What
> is it? Whitefish boiled with onions, potatoes, and corn,
> with lots of butter and seasonings. You usually get rolls
> and cherry pie also. It's so buttery and good (probably
> not good on cholesterol counts, but oh well). Door County
> is also *known* for its Cherry Pie - a must-have if you're
> passing through.

We talking them using smoked whitefish, or fresh? (Hey,
I'm used to Jewish appetizing stores in NY--dairy versions
of delis).

Sounds good, , but it's a bit out of the way. My maps
show it to be a peninsula out into Lake Michigan, in
central Wisconsin. I'll have to check a road atlas to get
a better idea.

Overall, I'm not a big sweets eater--I much prefer breads,
salty foods (which I have to stay away from), and spicy
foods. I'll take a bowl of habanero peanuts over a piece of
chocolate cake any day (interesting to think that the
peanuts probably have more calories).

----

Oh, and thanks to those to whom I haven't specifically responded--
I've read everything in the thread so far.

please mail OT responses only

In article <[email protected]>,
"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, if you go north in Wisconsin, hit Door County and go
> to a fishboil. Not only is the scenery up there beautiful,
> but many places do a fantastic fishboil that is to die
> for. No specific names of places, but camping grounds have
> them frequently. Perhaps someone else can give you
> specifics. In any case, it's an outdoor event due to the
> fact that it's done in a LARGE pot over a huge fire. What
> is it? Whitefish boiled with onions, potatoes, and corn,
> with lots of butter and seasonings. You usually get rolls
> and cherry pie also. It's so buttery and good (probably
> not good on cholesterol counts, but oh well). Door County
> is also *known* for its Cherry Pie - a must-have if you're
> passing through.

We talking them using smoked whitefish, or fresh? (Hey,
I'm used to Jewish appetizing stores in NY--dairy versions
of delis).

Sounds good, , but it's a bit out of the way. My maps
show it to be a peninsula out into Lake Michigan, in
central Wisconsin. I'll have to check a road atlas to get
a better idea.

Overall, I'm not a big sweets eater--I much prefer breads,
salty foods (which I have to stay away from), and spicy
foods. I'll take a bowl of habanero peanuts over a piece of
chocolate cake any day (interesting to think that the
peanuts probably have more calories).

----

Oh, and thanks to those to whom I haven't specifically responded--
I've read everything in the thread so far.

please mail OT responses only

In article <[email protected]>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <cjfullerSPAMORAMA-
> [email protected]>, Cindy
> Fuller <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > It sounds as if you plan on taking I-90 to I-5, then
> > east on I-80 from San Francisco. If you get anywhere
> > near Glacier National Park in Montana (which is a far
> > piece from I-90), you need to stop at the Park Cafe in
> > St. Mary. It's at the eastern end of the Going-to-the-
> > Sun Road (the main road through the park). They make
> > good grub, but their true specialty is pies.
>
> Someone warned me against I-5. Specifically, they said "I
> wouldn't advise I5... a lot of boring territory." True?

We've only lived in Seattle for a year. I've not traveled on
I-5 any farther south than Olympia yet.

> > When/if you come to Seattle, you must go to Pike Place
> > Market. Go early in the morning to avoid the onslaught
> > of turistas and cruise ship shoppers. Have breakfast at
> > the Athenian Inn, or grab a baked goodie and some coffee
> > and watch people, ferry boats, etc. in the park to the
> > north of the market. On a nice day, you'll be able to
> > see Mount Rainier from that park. You can also get
> > provisions for the next couple of days on the road at
> > the market.
>
> Is there decent parking in the area? The cities I'm used
> to (NY, Boston) have terrible parking, especially near
> popular areas.

There is a decent-sized parking garage just below the market
(towards the water), along with on-street parking and some
nearby lots. On weekends and early in the mornings, parking
will be more plentiful. Our favorite weekend parking garage
(which is cheaper than lots or other garages) is a couple of
blocks southeast of the market and kittycorner from the
symphony hall.

> > If you have problems with excessive heat and humidity in
> > the summer, New Orleans is the last place you want to
> > visit. It can be pretty oppressive, even in April or
> > November. I hear tell the mosquitoes are the size of
> > crows.
>
> Good point. But I'm not sure where else to go in that east-
> west region--the alternative is Arkansas, maybe Missouri.

The options you'd have to get to New Orleans from Colorado
are low on scenery. Arkansas at least has some green and
hilliness to it. Oklahoma and West Texas have high vast
wasteland quotients. Maybe that appeals to you, but there's
only so much flat and treeless territory I can stand.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

In article <[email protected]>,

Scott wrote:

> In article <cjfullerSPAMORAMA-
> [email protected]>, Cindy
> Fuller <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> It sounds as if you plan on taking I-90 to I-5, then east
>> on I-80 from San Francisco. If you get anywhere near
>> Glacier National Park in Montana (which is a far piece
>> from I-90), you need to stop at the Park Cafe in St.
>> Mary. It's at the eastern end of the Going-to-the-Sun
>> Road (the main road through the park). They make good
>> grub, but their true specialty is pies.
>
> Someone warned me against I-5. Specifically, they said "I
> wouldn't advise I5... a lot of boring territory." True?

The drive on I-5 isn't too bad while you're still in
Washington and Oregon. Once you get into California it's
pretty much flat, dusty, and boring. And hot! You get a
slight break at Mt. Shasta, but it's pretty dull all the
way into LA.

---jkb

--
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie!"

-- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon