Foot Pain

Andrewdixon1984

Jul 7, 2015
Need some help. Having a real issue with my left foot after riding, I get pain in/under my little toes and the one next to it. I've changed shoes which has helped a little but I still get some pain from time to time. I've shimano spd sl pedels and there cleats. It's been suggested that I try speed play pedels so that the pedel is more to the inside of the foot taking pressure of the out side and away from the end toes. Just wondered if anyone had any advice ? Thanks

Andrewdixon1984 said:
Need some help. Having a real issue with my left foot after riding, I get pain in/under my little toes and the one next to it. I've changed shoes which has helped a little but I still get some pain from time to time. I've shimano spd sl pedels and there cleats. It's been suggested that I try speed play pedels so that the pedel is more to the inside of the foot taking pressure of the out side and away from the end toes. Just wondered if anyone had any advice ? Thanks
You can probably re-mount your SPD-SL cleats laterally & fore-and-aft from where they are ...

If necessary, if your shoes don't have carbon soles then you can drill new holes & use wood screws to mount the cleats ...

It is probably adviseable to try to keep the left-to-right symmetrical for both shoes ... so, if you move the cleat inboard on your left shoe, then do the same for the right shoe.

I guess that was a long way of saying that you may not need new pedals ...

BTW. Perhaps it will seem like a radical move, but if your Shimano/any-brand-but-SIDI shoe's uppers are too stiff, then EITHER toss them into your washing machine OR hand wash them. Air dry. Stuff with dry newspaper to expedite drying.

SIDI shoes probably won't benefit from wetting because they are typically made what seems like a pre-softened synthetic material (vs. the leather which was once used), now.

BTW. It could be that your shoes are STILL the wrong size for you ...

How long are the rides before you experience this discomfort?

I had experienced foot pains before when I was biking with slippers. The pedals seem not to agree with the contour of my underfoot hence the pains after biking. At first I thought it might be arthritis or chronic joint pains since it wouldn't go away. I only realized when someone told me that I was biking with my slippers. And then the idea hit me. Yes, the muscles just beside my toes are greatly affected because that is the area in direct contact with the surface of the pedal.

Could be one of several problems, or a combination. Toe pain is usually caused by something pinching a nerve.

There's an important one that runs up between toes 3 and 4 (big toe being 1), that can get pinched and eventually inflamed from squashing the metatarsals together. This is usually caused by shoes that are too narrow. Wider shoes and insoles with metatarsal humps can relieve this.

Also, cleat placement, usually too far forward, can put too much pressure under the "ball" of the foot. Try moving the cleat rearward, so the pedal spindle is a few millimeters behind the head of the first metatarsal. Shoes with stiffer soles can help, too.

Excess pronation can put too much pressure on the outside of the forefoot or jam the outside of the foot against the shoe. See a podiatrist or orthopedist if you think this might be a problem.

You are probably right in considering a solution that will transfer pressure to the inside of the forefoot. I don't know if Speedplays are necessarily the answer, though.

It sounds like your shoes may be too narrow. Try going back to the store and trying on several different sizes, including wide width if available, and different brands. Some people just have wider metatarsals in proportion to the length of their feet. A wider shoe may be needed as the pressure from a narrow shoe over the course of a longer ride might be causing your issues. If you have inflamation in this food as a result of this problem try ice or arnica cream to resolve it faster so the irritated nerves and tissues can heal faster.

That also sounds like my gout. A doctor might be able to give you some insight. I have also found (from my workboots) that the wrong insoles may create or solve issues like that.