Frames: aero vs. conventional?

Originally Posted by David Gerchman .

This is going to sound funny, But I just want something that is modern. Like I want a rear wheel that I can go out and buy and not have to bastardize the frame to make it fit. I want something without a quill stem. I want something without downtube shifters. And a warranty would be nice. And having a correctly sized bike would be cool to. Also my bike was the top of its game...25 years ago. So it shouldnt take much to be a improvement.-David
There is nothing wrong with wanting what one wants and the right size is one good reason.

Originally Posted by David Gerchman .

This is going to sound funny, But I just want something that is modern. Like I want a rear wheel that I can go out and buy and not have to bastardize the frame to make it fit. I want something without a quill stem. I want something without downtube shifters. And a warranty would be nice. And having a correctly sized bike would be cool to. Also my bike was the top of its game...25 years ago. So it shouldnt take much to be a improvement.-David
I don't blame you. Six years ago, I bought my first new bike in 27 years. I rationalized it to my wife saying how replacement parts for this bike were getting harder to find. I still keep and ride a couple of oldies, but when I want to go hard and long I go with the new bike. For one thing, I can climb bigger hills using a 10-speed cassette than I ever could with a 7-speed freewheel.

Those are all good reasons to upgrade your ride. If you love to ride then ride the nicest bike that fits your budget.

Most of us have upgraded over the years for pretty much the same reason, we spend a lot of time riding and love riding a nice bike. But as the others have pointed out just don't expect miracles in terms of going faster on a nicer, newer bike. You may very well see some improvements, some due to the new bike effect and some because you'll tend to ride and challenge yourself even more on a bike you really love riding. Just don't expect miracle speed increases due to the technology itself, across a wide range of road bikes the actual performance differences are small compared to marketing claims but it's still awesome to ride a great bike!

Good luck,
-Dave

The reason I am stuck on specialized is becuase of my LBS. when I crashed my allez I ordered a $30 bar and $40 stem, plus the associated adapter and new tape and rear wheel true. They goofed on the parts ordering, so in order to make it right without me even asking. I got a set of 3T bars, and a ritchey stem, they gave me the adaptor, trued the wheel for free and taped the bars for free. I spent exactly what I was quoted. $153.00 all new stuff. They really took care of me, and they mostly sell specialized. With service like that to a random ass customer, I have alot of confidence in keeping them as my primary LBS.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

You may very well see some improvements, some due to the new bike effect and some because you'll tend to ride and challenge yourself even more on a bike you really love riding.
This is where a new bike can really shine. You just end up riding more - the best performance enhancer out there.