Why don't sprinters use aero frames?

lefeur

Dec 17, 2004
Looking at pictures from the TdF and the World Cycling Championships, I don't see any of the top sprinters using aero tubing (downtube and seat tube) on their bike frames. From the wind tunnel data I've seen, a good aero frame can save you about 0.4 to 0.6 lbs. of drag at 30mph. This translates into an extra 1-2 mph @ pro sprint speed (45mph). There must be a good reason. Anyone have any idea?

When you're putting as much torque into a frame as a pro sprinter, stiffness matters more than aerodynamics. Sprinters usually ride the stiffest frames their sponsors can get them. It's probably just a coincidence that they aren't always the most "aero".

The other question is how much time does Ali-jet or Robbie Mc spend in the wind? meters and seconds. Its not like a time trial where you are out in the wind for an hour+ and 40+ Km.

Keep in mind that most of the drag comes from the body and when you are sprinting flat out you are all over the bike. If your body is creating huge (that's huge in relative terms) amounts of drag, is there much point?

AussieRob said:
The other question is how much time does Ali-jet or Robbie Mc spend in the wind? meters and seconds. Its not like a time trial where you are out in the wind for an hour+ and 40+ Km.

Keep in mind that most of the drag comes from the body and when you are sprinting flat out you are all over the bike. If your body is creating huge (that's huge in relative terms) amounts of drag, is there much point?
I'm not sure if there is a point or not. But to play devil's advocate, isn't 0.4 to 0.6 lbs of drag reduction (@30mph) which yields 1-2 mph (@45mph) still worth it regardless of how much drag your body is producing? Maybe there is so much turbulence in a field sprint that there wouldn't be any laminar flow around aero tubes anyway.

lefeur said:
I'm not sure if there is a point or not. But to play devil's advocate, isn't 0.4 to 0.6 lbs of drag reduction (@30mph) which yields 1-2 mph (@45mph) still worth it regardless of how much drag your body is producing? Maybe there is so much turbulence in a field sprint that there wouldn't be any laminar flow around aero tubes anyway.
Go back and read what art and aussierob wrote, they are both right. Also there is no way in hell the difference between an aero and non aero downtube is 1-2mph at 30mph so take all three of those things into consideration and you can see it doesn't matter to a guy that explodes over the last 100m of a 200km race.

wilmar13 said:
Go back and read what art and aussierob wrote, they are both right. Also there is no way in hell the difference between an aero and non aero downtube is 1-2mph at 30mph so take all three of those things into consideration and you can see it doesn't matter to a guy that explodes over the last 100m of a 200km race.
Now now *****. I didn't say that aero tubing made a 1-2 mph difference @ 30mph. I said it reduced drag by 0.4 to 0.6 lb. force @ 30 (Actually according to www.cervelo.com aero frames can reduce drag by up to a pound at 30mph, but I reduced it 0.4 to 0.6 because mfg's. always exaggerate their claims). That translates into about a 0.8 mph gain around 30 mph. If you do the calculations, and I have, you will find that a 0.6 lb. force @ 30 translates into a 2.5lb reduction in drag at 45mph. This means that with the same power output one can go 1-2 mph faster when travelling in the 45mph range.

lefeur said:
Now now *****. I didn't say that aero tubing made a 1-2 mph difference @ 30mph. I said it reduced drag by 0.4 to 0.6 lb. force @ 30 (Actually according to www.cervelo.com aero frames can reduce drag by up to a pound at 30mph, but I reduced it 0.4 to 0.6 because mfg's. always exaggerate their claims). That translates into about a 0.8 mph gain around 30 mph. If you do the calculations, and I have, you will find that a 0.6 lb. force @ 30 translates into a 2.5lb reduction in drag at 45mph. This means that with the same power output one can go 1-2 mph faster when travelling in the 45mph range.
In a flat out sprint (as Aussierob said) you are all over your bike, the bike is swaying/leaning constantly and you never have streamlined airflow passing over/around the bike or the rider - these factors practicly reduce any theoretical gains you have calculated as wind-tunnel data is based on steady-state airflow. The movement of bike and rider in sprints disrupts the airflow and doesn't allow you to take advantage of aerodynamic efficiency of the frame. This means that stiffness is the biggest factor to ensure there is a little energy loss as possible (as Art mentioned).

Now if you had windtunnel data for a sprint situation, that would be a different story and i'm pretty certain you wouldn't get the 2.5lb reduction you mention.

Dini77 said:
In a flat out sprint (as Aussierob said) you are all over your bike, the bike is swaying/leaning constantly and you never have streamlined airflow passing over/around the bike or the rider - these factors practicly reduce any theoretical gains you have calculated as wind-tunnel data is based on steady-state airflow. The movement of bike and rider in sprints disrupts the airflow and doesn't allow you to take advantage of aerodynamic efficiency of the frame. This means that stiffness is the biggest factor to ensure there is a little energy loss as possible (as Art mentioned).

Now if you had windtunnel data for a sprint situation, that would be a different story and i'm pretty certain you wouldn't get the 2.5lb reduction you mention.
I'll buy that.

lefeur said:
I'll buy that.
Yeah what he said! :D

Sorry for misquoting you above, I was in a hurry but I do understand your question, no matter how small the advantage, why don't they go for it? Again I would venture a guess that just as Art said, they go with what is available and stiffness takes priority.

lefeur said:
I'll buy that.
I had an unfair advantage - i did my engineering thesis some years back on aerodynamics (moreso on cars, but the principles are the same);)
It's an interesting question - aero frames are important, but IMO not nearly as much as how the rider is positioned on the bike. It's funny, just small adjustments to get you flatter make a big difference. It's actually on this point that the sprinter can make big gains. Ever noticed how top sprinters keep low and have a flat back - this streamlines them and presents a lower body surface area to the wind. They also periodically drop their chins to their chest - this fills the void between head an chest and lets the airflow pass by more smoothly. It's a pretty interesting topic.:D
cheers

Dini77 said:
I had an unfair advantage - i did my engineering thesis some years back on aerodynamics (moreso on cars, but the principles are the same);)
It's an interesting question - aero frames are important, but IMO not nearly as much as how the rider is positioned on the bike. It's funny, just small adjustments to get you flatter make a big difference. It's actually on this point that the sprinter can make big gains. Ever noticed how top sprinters keep low and have a flat back - this streamlines them and presents a lower body surface area to the wind. They also periodically drop their chins to their chest - this fills the void between head an chest and lets the airflow pass by more smoothly. It's a pretty interesting topic.:D
cheers
Some other points to mention is the importance of the rotating masses on aerodynamics - ie wheels and foot/pedals. They churn the air up big time so small improvements here are huge. The advancement in tech and materials has seen some pretty aero and stiff road/race wheels without the weight penalty. Zipp have also introduced dimples on their wheels now which act in a similar way to those on golf balls - ie keep the airflow attached and smooth as it passes over the surface. I could drop some 'nerdy' terms here but that would not be cool...

There's also been some interesting research/work done on clothing materials that assist keeping airflow smooth over the body (Nike has a speed suit that LA used this year in the TT's).

Dini77 said:
Some other points to mention is the importance of the rotating masses on aerodynamics - ie wheels and foot/pedals. They churn the air up big time so small improvements here are huge. The advancement in tech and materials has seen some pretty aero and stiff road/race wheels without the weight penalty. Zipp have also introduced dimples on their wheels now which act in a similar way to those on golf balls - ie keep the airflow attached and smooth as it passes over the surface. I could drop some 'nerdy' terms here but that would not be cool...
Nerd it up. We can handle it.
First of all, I think that data from Cervelo was interpreted incorrectly. http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/cervelo-calc.html
The 0.4+ lbs came from a comparison between a standard frame and a P3. Even if it mattered, the P3 isn't legal for mass start races.
Secondly as Dini and others pointed out, that large blob of meat sitting on top of the bike is the biggest source of drag in the system. Cervelo's tests were all conducted in various seated, tucked down time trial positions. Once you really get up out of the saddle and start hammering, the drag coefficient of your body goes up considerably.
Besides, even in the context of a time trial, "Conclusion
As was already indicated in Jim Martin’s article, considerable time savings can be obtained through the use of aeroframes. However, it is even more important to ride in an aerodynamic body position. Therefore, when choosing a frame, one should look at the geometry as well as aerodynamic characteristics of a frame."

wilmar13 said:
Yeah what he said! :D

Sorry for misquoting you above, I was in a hurry but I do understand your question, no matter how small the advantage, why don't they go for it? Again I would venture a guess that just as Art said, they go with what is available and stiffness takes priority.
No problem, Wilson.

Peace,
Lefeur

artmichalek said:
Nerd it up. We can handle it.
First of all, I think that data from Cervelo was interpreted incorrectly. http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/cervelo-calc.html
The 0.4+ lbs came from a comparison between a standard frame and a P3. Even if it mattered, the P3 isn't legal for mass start races.
Secondly as Dini and others pointed out, that large blob of meat sitting on top of the bike is the biggest source of drag in the system. Cervelo's tests were all conducted in various seated, tucked down time trial positions. Once you really get up out of the saddle and start hammering, the drag coefficient of your body goes up considerably.
Besides, even in the context of a time trial, "Conclusion
As was already indicated in Jim Martin’s article, considerable time savings can be obtained through the use of aeroframes. However, it is even more important to ride in an aerodynamic body position. Therefore, when choosing a frame, one should look at the geometry as well as aerodynamic characteristics of a frame."
I interpreted the cervelo data correctly. "Table 3" from Jim Martin's article http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/article5.html shows drag data using a standard frame, 3 body positions and aero wheels. "Table 2" from the Cervelo article http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/cervelo-calc.html shows drag for a P2 aero frame with 3 body positions and aero wheels. The only difference in the two data sets is the frame. I confirmed this with Gerard Vroomen the author of the Cervelo article. As you can see, there is a 0.76 lb. reduction in drag @ 30mph with the P2 frame regardless of body position. The P3 frame shows a 0.91 lb. reduction in drag @ 30mph.

While I agree that body position is the most influencial factor in determining drag, there's still is a component of drag from the bicycle. If one could reduce drag by up to 0.91 lb. @ 30mph regardless of body position, which is what the Cervelo/martin article's are saying, why wouldn't you do it. It's free horsepower. The only hypothesis as to why one woudn't care if the frames were aero or not that makes sense to me right now is that there is a high ratio of turbulence/laminar flow in a field sprint.

lefeur said:
I interpreted the cervelo data correctly. "Table 3" from Jim Martin's article http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/article5.html shows drag data using a standard frame, 3 body positions and aero wheels. "Table 2" from the Cervelo article http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/cervelo-calc.html shows drag for a P2 aero frame with 3 body positions and aero wheels. The only difference in the two data sets is the frame. I confirmed this with Gerard Vroomen the author of the Cervelo article. As you can see, there is a 0.76 lb. reduction in drag @ 30mph with the P2 frame regardless of body position. The P3 frame shows a 0.91 lb. reduction in drag @ 30mph.

While I agree that body position is the most influencial factor in determining drag, there's still is a component of drag from the bicycle. If one could reduce drag by up to 0.91 lb. @ 30mph regardless of body position, which is what the Cervelo/martin article's are saying, why wouldn't you do it. It's free horsepower. The only hypothesis as to why one woudn't care if the frames were aero or not that makes sense to me right now is that there is a high ratio of turbulence/laminar flow in a field sprint.
1) The P2 isn't legal for mass start races either. Even if it was, the geometry would make it handle horribly in a sprint.
2) Get off of the second year undergrad constant body force model. Vehicle drag is not as simple as x pounds -> y mph. That model is a decent approximation for a perfectly flat time trial, but is meaningless in the context of a sprint finish. If you really want to understand what's going on, you have to integrate the rider's whole power requirement over the course of the last kilometer of the race. Getting enough power down to the road to match the huge accelerations will always matter more than aerodynamics.
3) There's no such thing as "free horsepower".
4) I don't know why you're concerned with the "ratio of turbulence/laminar flow". If the flow around you and your bike is laminar, you aren't going fast enough to win a sprint anyway.

artmichalek said:
1) The P2 isn't legal for mass start races either. Even if it was, the geometry would make it handle horribly in a sprint.
2) Get off of the second year undergrad constant body force model. Vehicle drag is not as simple as x pounds -> y mph. That model is a decent approximation for a perfectly flat time trial, but is meaningless in the context of a sprint finish. If you really want to understand what's going on, you have to integrate the rider's whole power requirement over the course of the last kilometer of the race. Getting enough power down to the road to match the huge accelerations will always matter more than aerodynamics.
3) There's no such thing as "free horsepower".
4) I don't know why you're concerned with the "ratio of turbulence/laminar flow". If the flow around you and your bike is laminar, you aren't going fast enough to win a sprint anyway.
Arty,

First you said that I interpreted the data incorrectly. However, when I pointed out to you that I indeed interpreted it correctly, you then decide to take a different tack. Ah, but I am much too clever for your smoke and mirrors.

Point 1) I see nothing about the P2 that wouldn't make it legal for a mass start race. As far as handling, if you are referring to the seat and head tube angles I agree. It would make handling difficult. But that is not even remotely the point in this discussion. Let's just say for the purpose of this discussion, there is a frame availible like the P2 that has head and seat tube angles that are more like a conventional road bike.

Point 2) You said, "If you really want to understand what's going on, you have to integrate the rider's whole power requirement over the course of the last kilometer of the race". Huh?!? I don't care what the power requirements are. I'm talking about aerodynamics here. I'll tell you what. Let's make this simple. In this discussion, let's clone Robbie McEwen. And let's say that there is a choice between two frames. Both frames are of equal and adequate stiffness. One has aero tubing and one does not. Robbie1 rides the aero frame and Robbie2 rides the non aero frame. I am placing my bets on Robbie1.

Point 3) Yes! You are correct! Thank you for your wisdom.

Point 4) Actually, I believe one can think about it as a ratio of turbulent/laminar flow over the whole body (cyclist and cycle). To the extent that there is some laminar flow over the frame, drag can be reduced by having aero tubing. To what extent there is laminar flow in a field sprint, I can't say. Based on the input of this forum, I believe that it is low. However, I believe that there is still some component of laminar flow and if a frame meets all the other requirements of a sprinter, then I am saying go for the aero tubes.

Please don't make me tsk you again.

Peace,
lefeur

lefeur said:
Looking at pictures from the TdF and the World Cycling Championships, I don't see any of the top sprinters using aero tubing (downtube and seat tube) on their bike frames. From the wind tunnel data I've seen, a good aero frame can save you about 0.4 to 0.6 lbs. of drag at 30mph. This translates into an extra 1-2 mph @ pro sprint speed (45mph). There must be a good reason. Anyone have any idea?
A lot of sprinters do use aero wheels, however. Petacchi races on Campy Bora's. I'm sure it has more to do with stiffness than aerodynamics though.

PeterF said:
A lot of sprinters do use aero wheels, however. Petacchi races on Campy Bora's. I'm sure it has more to do with stiffness than aerodynamics though.
He does? I have seen a lot of pics of his bike with Cosmic Carbones, but maybe they were older. Either way they are both about the same aero and maybe the Bora is as stiff as the Carbone (with the Bora being way lighter). Im not sure I agree with you dismissing it as stiffness though, for sure he uses them for the aero advantages as well, if he just wanted to use stiff wheels he would be on Hyperion or Nucleons ;)

lefeur said:
First you said that I interpreted the data incorrectly. However, when I pointed out to you that I indeed interpreted it correctly, you then decide to take a different tack. Ah, but I am much too clever for your smoke and mirrors.
How much do we have to dumb this down for you? I didn't change track, and you didn't interpret the data correctly. A time trial bike is a time trial bike. A road bike is a road bike. If you need the details spelled out, find a UCI rule book. None of the comparisons that you cite from the Cervelo web site are at all relevant. All else being equal, which it really isn't in any of those tests, the aerodynamic advantage gained from using "aero" tubes is negligible. As for the power issue, a person+bike in a field sprint is not a steady state system. Next time please make an effort to understand the basic physics of the system before you start talking down to people.