Frickin' stupid Cambria Bike

Chris

Guest
So I'm building up my Cross-Check (hell yeah...long time
dream come true) and needed a crank. Decided, hey, mountain
cranks offer a little too low a gear for commuting and road
cranks have a bit too high sometimes - and they just plain
look stupid most of the time - so why not go with a "cross"
crankset! 38/48 rings, looks neato, it's theoretically a
'cross bike, whatever.

So I see the '03 Ritchey V-Pro Cross crank on sale ("hot
deal") at CBO for $99. I've always thought Ritchey made a
nice product, the gears were right, looked cool, so I was
real tempted to pull the trigger. The problem? It's listed
only as "splined, 175mm, black." Splined how? ISIS or
Octalink? So I fire off an email to CBO and a couple hours
later I get, "V-Pro cranks are ISIS." Which I like - Shimano
bbs like to fall apart and there is a much wider selection
of ISIS stuff available. Plus, my general rule of thumb is,
if you can stuff a RaceFace part on it you're doing good. I
ultimately broke that rule and ordered an FSA Platinum, but
you get my drift.

So I pick up my box 'o parts today and what do I find? Right
on the side of the Ritchey box: "Compatible with Shimano
splined bottom bracket spindles."

Ritchey site, but they didn't have info on anything that
isn't 2004 - and even though all the new stuff is Octalink,
I thought maybe that was new for '04 (maybe Shimano pulled a
Microsoft and wrote Ritchey a check trying to corner a bit
more of the market).

Regardless, now I'm stuck with a Shimano bottom bracket,
which I really wanted to avoid. I also ordered a RaceFace
ISIS bb tool which I now no longer need. So, boo Cambria for
not knowing their products (or bothering to look on the
shelf). Also, they were out of stock on 5 of 19 items
ordered, which you don't find out until a day after you
place the order. Also #2, you never get an "items shipped"
email...stuff just shows up.

I've ordered from them before with no real problems (got
wrong bb spindle width once, but it was RaceFace so I could
get the chainline adjusted fine), but after this I'm
wondering...so many shops, why put up with this garbage. If
the LBS were friendlier, and I had a bit more $$, I'd have
ordered more than the frame/headset from them.

In related news, I have an extra FSA Platinum 63x113 for $25
and a RF ISIS tool for $20. ******* ass CBO.

Chris

Chris wrote:

> In related news, I have an extra FSA Platinum 63x113 for
> $25 and a RF ISIS tool for $20. ******* ass CBO.

Keep the RF ISIS tool. It'll work on Shimano Octalink BBs
quite nicely.

Dave

> Regardless, now I'm stuck with a Shimano bottom bracket,
> which I really wanted to avoid. I also ordered a RaceFace
> ISIS bb tool which

More cheese with that whine?

Who says you're "stuck" with a Shimano BB? It's not like
they don't have a return policy...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> > Regardless, now I'm stuck with a Shimano bottom bracket,
> > which I really wanted to avoid. I also ordered a
> > RaceFace ISIS bb tool which
>
> More cheese with that whine?
>
> Who says you're "stuck" with a Shimano BB? It's not like
> they don't have
> return policy...
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

No, the crank is Octalink, so now I'm stuck with USING a
Shimano bracket (Ultegra 6500, FWIW). They suck. I
wanted ISIS splined cranks, and they told me ISIS. I
don't think it's whining to warn a bunch of mountain
bikers that a shop's tech guys can't read the sticker on
the side of the box.

Chris

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > > Regardless, now I'm stuck with a Shimano bottom
> > > bracket, which I really wanted to avoid. I also
> > > ordered a RaceFace ISIS bb tool which
> >
> > More cheese with that whine?
> >
> > Who says you're "stuck" with a Shimano BB? It's not like
> > they don't have
> > return policy...
> >
> > --
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> No, the crank is Octalink, so now I'm stuck with USING a
> Shimano bracket (Ultegra 6500, FWIW). They suck. I wanted
> ISIS splined cranks, and they told me ISIS. I don't think
> it's whining to warn a bunch of mountain bikers that a
> shop's tech guys can't read the sticker on the side of
> the box.
>
> Chris

What crank are we talking about here?
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
which

> > > More cheese with that whine?
> > >
> > > Who says you're "stuck" with a Shimano BB? It's not
> > > like they don't
have
> > > return policy...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Phil, Squid-in-Training
> >
> > No, the crank is Octalink, so now I'm stuck with USING a
> > Shimano bracket (Ultegra 6500, FWIW). They suck. I
> > wanted ISIS splined cranks, and
they
> > told me ISIS. I don't think it's whining to warn a bunch
> > of mountain
bikers
> > that a shop's tech guys can't read the sticker on the
> > side of the box.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> What crank are we talking about here?
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-
> online.com

I bought Ritchey Pro V-Cross cranks for my Crosscheck. Same
arm/spider as the Pro V roadie stuff, but with 38/48 rings.
Cambria had 'em for $99 - a great price for what is a very
nice crank - and told me they were ISIS in an email. They
aren't. Rather than finding another crank to use - these
Ritcheys are real nice - I'm just sucking it up and slapping
in an Ultegra bottom bracket.

Chris

> finding another crank to use - these Ritcheys are real
> nice - I'm just sucking it up and slapping in an Ultegra
> bottom bracket.

Sucking it up is the wrong thing to do. Nobody said you had
to acquiesce to somebody else's mistake... you're
complaining about having to use Shimano when you are
totally within your own capability of sending it back off,
postage-paid, back to Cambria. I know you really want this
'set for your x-check, but work with the system; don't just
say "oh well."

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training