Frickin' knee!

Kathleen

Guest
Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House Apart". We
stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo. I spent a couple of
days crawling around on the wooden subfloor pulling out three carpetings-worth of staples. And my
right knee promptly assumed cantalope-like proportions. Now I've had this happen before and it's
always been crawling-induced. The last time it happened was about 4 years ago, after chasing my kid
through the tunnels at TumbleDrum. So I wrapped it, iced it, elevated it, consumed mass quantities
of ibuprofen. And waited. No improvement. Saw the orthopod last week. "Oh yeah, that's a swollen
knee you've got there. Lots of inflamation. Ice it, keep it wrapped (here's a knee brace), take
ibuprofen. You can exercise as long as you wear your brace. Walk, ride your bike... No aerobic
crawling, though. Come back and see me in a month if it's not better." "A MONTH?" "Yeah. When you're
over 40 it's normal for healing to take longer." Now I know it's only been a week and a half but
it's not really improving. Still squishy, still sore. My stomach is burnt to a crisp from the
ibuprofen. And the damned knee brace literally left bruises after a 4 mile ride around the
neighborhood (and yes, I had it on exactly as demonstrated by the doc). I'm suffering from major
trail withdrawal. AAAUUUUGHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I know, I know.

Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House Apart". We
> stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo. I spent a couple of
> days crawling around on the wooden subfloor pulling out three carpetings-worth of staples. And my
> right knee promptly assumed cantalope-like proportions. Now I've had this happen before and it's
> always been crawling-induced. The last time it happened was about 4 years ago, after chasing my
> kid through the tunnels at TumbleDrum. So I wrapped it, iced it, elevated it, consumed mass
> quantities of ibuprofen. And waited. No improvement. Saw the orthopod last week. "Oh yeah, that's
> a swollen knee you've got there. Lots of inflamation. Ice it, keep it wrapped (here's a knee
> brace), take ibuprofen. You can exercise as long as you wear your brace. Walk, ride your bike...
> No aerobic crawling, though. Come back and see me in a month if it's not better." "A MONTH?"
> "Yeah. When you're over 40 it's normal for healing to take longer." Now I know it's only been a
> week and a half but it's not really improving. Still squishy, still sore. My stomach is burnt to a
> crisp from the ibuprofen. And the damned knee brace literally left bruises after a 4 mile ride
> around the neighborhood (and yes, I had it on exactly as demonstrated by the doc). I'm suffering
> from major trail withdrawal. AAAUUUUGHH!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Yeah I know, I know.
>
> Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?
>
> Kathleen

I resented that "When We Get Older" speech, too. Especially when the doc was half my age. May I
suggest a pair of knee pads ? My knees react the same way yours do and wearing pads makes a world of
difference. They don't need to be fancy but make sure you get a hard cover on the kneecap.

Don't rush your recovery ! You'll need those knees the rest of your life. Take it from an ex runner
who just had to run on partially healed ankles. I miss that high but I can still pedal ;-)

How 'bout some champaigne & rocky road ?

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ MBrundage@ease ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kathleen says:

<snip knee troubles>

Anytime you want to come up to the NorthEast and ride, you can ice it while riding (as well as the
rest of you!) Temps today 10F at noon, nice 3" of fresh powder, and it's not often you can say that
in this area. We have a spare room, and the rent is reasonable. When crawling on floors, my wife
always sticks a pair of maxi-pads to her knees to absorb shock. She's just hit 50 and hasn't had
swollen knees yet. ;-) Steve

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House Apart". We
> stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo. I spent a couple of
> days crawling around on the wooden subfloor pulling out three carpetings-worth of staples. And my
> right knee promptly assumed cantalope-like proportions. Now I've had this happen before and it's
> always been crawling-induced. The last time it happened was about 4 years ago, after chasing my
> kid through the tunnels at TumbleDrum. So I wrapped it, iced it, elevated it, consumed mass
> quantities of ibuprofen. And waited. No improvement. Saw the orthopod last week. "Oh yeah, that's
> a swollen knee you've got there. Lots of inflamation. Ice it, keep it wrapped (here's a knee
> brace), take ibuprofen. You can exercise as long as you wear your brace. Walk, ride your bike...
> No aerobic crawling, though. Come back and see me in a month if it's not better." "A MONTH?"
> "Yeah. When you're over 40 it's normal for healing to take longer." Now I know it's only been a
> week and a half but it's not really improving. Still squishy, still sore. My stomach is burnt to a
> crisp from the ibuprofen. And the damned knee brace literally left bruises after a 4 mile ride
> around the neighborhood (and yes, I had it on exactly as demonstrated by the doc). I'm suffering
> from major trail withdrawal. AAAUUUUGHH!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Yeah I know, I know.
>
> Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?
>
> Kathleen

So it doesn't sound like he ever told you what the actual condition is. I freakin' HATE that. Tell
me that my patella isn't tracking right because my quads are tight because I don't stretch enough.
Tell me my ligaments are stretched and I need to strengthen the muscles in the area to compensate.
Tell me that I have osteoarthritis and there's nothing to be done except lose weight and pop pills.
Even if there's no difference in the treatment, I want to know as much as the doc knows (in 5-8
sentences), not just reassurance that the stuff I figured out myself was the right thing to do even
if futile.

GAH!

/s

On 2004-01-15, supabonbon penned:

> So it doesn't sound like he ever told you what the actual condition is. I freakin' HATE that. Tell
> me that my patella isn't tracking right because my quads are tight because I don't stretch enough.
> Tell me my ligaments are stretched and I need to strengthen the muscles in the area to compensate.
> Tell me that I have osteoarthritis and there's nothing to be done except lose weight and pop
> pills. Even if there's no difference in the treatment, I want to know as much as the doc knows (in
> 5-8 sentences), not just reassurance that the stuff I figured out myself was the right thing to do
> even if futile.
>
> GAH!

You're assuming that the doctor actually *does* know more than s/he is saying. In some cases, that's
not the case, unless you want to pay for scans and whatnot.

--
monique

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:58:43 -0600, Kathleen <[email protected]>
wrote:

[snip]
> Pergo.

I love that stuff, I put it down 4 years ago and it still looks new after being abused by 2 kids and
a dog. BTW I used knee pads.

[snip again]

>Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?

How about a fine Cab.

Get well soon.

>Kathleen

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Kathleen wrote:
> Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House Apart". We
> stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo. I spent a couple of
> days crawling around on the wooden subfloor pulling out three carpetings-worth of staples. And my
> right knee promptly assumed cantalope-like proportions. Now I've had this happen before and it's
> always been crawling-induced.
(snip)

> Yeah I know, I know.
>
> Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?
>
> Kathleen

Fox knee/shin guards were on sale. Should've bought a pair to use for this endeavour. :)

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

supabonbon wrote:

> So it doesn't sound like he ever told you what the actual condition is. I freakin' HATE that. Tell
> me that my patella isn't tracking right because my quads are tight because I don't stretch enough.
> Tell me my ligaments are stretched and I need to strengthen the muscles in the area to compensate.
> Tell me that I have osteoarthritis and there's nothing to be done except lose weight and pop
> pills. Even if there's no difference in the treatment, I want to know as much as the doc knows (in
> 5-8 sentences), not just reassurance that the stuff I figured out myself was the right thing to do
> even if futile.
>
> GAH!

I pretty much knew what I was going to hear. I was basically looking for reassurance that I wasn't
doing any harm by taking a wait and see attitude. He didn't give me a more specific diagnosis
because he didn't have one. And without an MRI or (godferbid!) arthroscopic surgery, there's really
no way to tell exactly what the problem is. If there had been any sort of a fall or sudden impact,
if I'd heard a pop or felt a snap I'd have pushed for some more detailed diagnostics.

As it was, going in the nurse tried to herd me into the X-ray room before I'd even seen the doctor.
Now, x-rays have their place, but like I said, there was no history of acute trauma and they're
basically worthless for soft-tissue injuries. So I balked - told her I wanted to talk to the doctor
first. And afterwards, neither he nor I saw much point to subjecting my knee to a dose of radiation.

The only thing that really caught me off guard was how long he thought a reasonable wait-and-see
period was for a 41 year-old person.

Kathleen

Zilla wrote:
> Kathleen wrote:
>
>>Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House Apart". We
>>stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo. I spent a couple of
>>days crawling around on the wooden subfloor pulling out three carpetings-worth of staples. And my
>>right knee promptly assumed cantalope-like proportions. Now I've had this happen before and it's
>>always been crawling-induced.
>
> (snip)
>
>>Yeah I know, I know.
>>
>>Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?
>>
>>Kathleen
>

> Fox knee/shin guards were on sale. Should've bought a pair to use for this endeavour. :)

Actually I already own a pair of old volley ball knee pads - it just didn't occur to me to use them.
But I'm definitely in the market for a comfortable set of shin guards, not so much for riding, but
for flyball. I'm currently using an old pair of soccer guards to protect my shins. They work okay,
but are getting pretty ratty and never were all that comfortable. I get a lot of funny looks, but if
the smirkers had ever been hit by a ballistic border collie I bet they'd wear guards, too.

40 pounds, going 20 mph equals 800 pounds of force....

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote

> The only thing that really caught me off guard was how long he thought a reasonable wait-and-see
> period was for a 41 year-old person.
>
> Kathleen

Just wait. It gets worse. The eyes go next.

I've been wearing glasses forEVER (nearsighted). Around 42ish, started having probs reading fine
print. Off to the doc for a new prescription. "Oh, you need bifocals" "WHAT??? That's for OLD
people!" She looked at me and smiled. "Yup!"

Pete

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Zilla wrote:
> > Kathleen wrote:
> >
> >>Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House Apart".
> >>We stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo. I spent a
> >>couple of days crawling around on the wooden subfloor pulling out three carpetings-worth of
> >>staples. And my right knee promptly assumed cantalope-like proportions. Now I've had this happen
> >>before and it's always been crawling-induced.
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> >>Yeah I know, I know.
> >>
> >>Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?
> >>
> >>Kathleen
> >

> > Fox knee/shin guards were on sale. Should've bought a pair to use for this endeavour. :)
>
> Actually I already own a pair of old volley ball knee pads - it just didn't occur to me to use
> them. But I'm definitely in the market for a comfortable set of shin guards, not so much for
> riding, but for flyball. I'm currently using an old pair of soccer guards to protect my shins.
> They work okay, but are getting pretty ratty and never were all that comfortable. I get a lot of
> funny looks, but if the smirkers had ever been hit by a ballistic border collie I bet they'd wear
> guards, too.
>
> 40 pounds, going 20 mph equals 800 pounds of force....
>
> Kathleen

I've tried to explain that to pedestrians who step out suddenly from between two cars into my bike
lane. (200lb + 30lb) * 15mph = 3450 pounds of force? It sounds like they'd be vaporized. No wonder
they're usually dragging their leg back to the sidewalk.

/s

Pete wrote:
> "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>The only thing that really caught me off guard was how long he thought a reasonable wait-and-see
>>period was for a 41 year-old person.
>>
>>Kathleen
>

> Just wait. It gets worse. The eyes go next.
>
> I've been wearing glasses forEVER (nearsighted). Around 42ish, started having probs reading fine
> print. Off to the doc for a new prescription. "Oh, you need bifocals" "WHAT??? That's for OLD
> people!" She looked at me and smiled. "Yup!"
>
> Pete

I'm sorry but Whaaaaa! My wife's been laughing at me for two years for looking over my glasses to
read fine print.

Shawn, 40 & bifocal bound

OVER THE HILL. Just got to keep in your mind to stay off your knees while on the floor. I've got the
same problem and over
50. Really don't even get down on the floor. Chances are you may not get up or have a hard time
getting up. And keep moving.

I MTB 2004

Steve where were you at 5am every day this week. I was riding to work with temps in the single
digits and wind chill at minus 20. My knees I guess were being iced but really I was toasty warm.
Whats my story.I'll tell you. Sweat pants under my pants,T shirt,3 hooded sweat shirts,coat,Buff,2
pair of gloves,socks, Timberland boots, and scarf from neck to nose. Snowed Monday, Thursday,and
just on the way into work this morning Friday. The ride in is better then the ride out due to the
lower temp and less traffic. Not a slip in but a few out out.

I MTB 2004

"Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> wrote

> looking over my glasses to read fine print.
>
> Shawn, 40 & bifocal bound

Yup, you need 'em. Be prepared for a little adjustment weirdness at first. Your feet (stairs, front
bike tire, etc), are suddenly badly out of focus. You end up swiveling your head a lot more. It
becomes second nature after a while, and you don't notice you're doing it.

And if you do a lot of computer work, trifocals may work well too.

1. Reading distance
2. Computer distance
3. Everything else.

Pete

Crazy says:

> Steve where were you at 5am every day this week. I was riding to work with temps in the single
> digits and wind chill at minus 20. My knees I guess were being iced but really I was toasty warm.
> Whats my story.I'll tell you. Sweat pants under my pants,T shirt,3 hooded sweat shirts,coat,Buff,2
> pair of gloves,socks, Timberland boots, and scarf from neck to nose. Snowed Monday, Thursday,and
> just on the way into work this morning Friday. The ride in is better then the ride out due to the
> lower temp and less traffic. Not a slip in but a few out out.

Hmmmm..... Crazy by name, crazy by nature? At 5:00 am I have been still snuggled up to my warm wife
(with hot flashes this makes for a VERY warm wife). I can't commute by bike since I have to cross a
bridge that has NO shoulder, 60 mph traffic in narrow lanes, and doesn't allow bikes, even if they
pay the toll ;-) I don't know that I'd commute in this weather even it was possible. On the
motorbike, yes, for years winter and summer, but not with pedals.

Steve "Wimp" Baker

Its warmer on pedals also slow that makes for warmer. Motoring at 60 plus mph on a motorcycle
cold, been there. Pedaling creates warmth. And I'm home by 1:40 pm to catch 3 to 3 1/2 hours of
day light to MTB.

I MTB 2004

Kathleen wrote:
> Shoulda known better. The day after Christmas we commenced Project "Rip the Whole House
> Apart". We stripped out the carpet and the linoleum in preparation for laying down Pergo.
>
> Can I get an order of cheese and crackers with that whine?

Serves you right for going with Pergo! even with TWO layers of that sound deadener they suck you
into buying, it'll still sound like stiletto heels on marble.

3/4" T&G Maple

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg