Fuji Touring Conversion...

3627nathan

Mar 25, 2011
My 80's Fuji Touring IV has broken, or just really worn-out derailleurs, and it's gotten to the point that riding it is futile. The problem is that the rear gears are slipping down on their own, plus the chain-crank gear won't shift into 1. I've taken it to a local bike shop multiple times for adjustment, both on the cable and the screws, but they've never actually fixed the problem, so I guess it's not a matter of adjustments anymore. I've had problems with this since I got the bike some months ago. The derailleurs now are Mountech Suntour's with a 7 speed casette and I've been told that because these are "older technology," that I should consider upgrading. There's an REI in Seattle, the flagstore, that I may take the bike to, but I just want to know beforehand, if a conversion on this old of a bike is a pipe-dream? I love the bike, but if it's going to cost something outrageous and not be effective, than perhaps I'd be better off looking at something else. I'm a newbie rider so I'd appreciate hearing if anyone out there has an insight on conversions. Thanks.

FWIW. IMO, your FUJI is a perfect candidate for some simple DIY effort ...

While new derailleurs would probably be nice, if your derailleurs are not functioning properly AND absent obvious rust which would preclude their movement, the problem is with your shifters.

What type of shifters does your bike have?

What is your budget?

How much have you been spending each time you've taken your bike to the shop?

• For about $25+ you can buy a copy ZINN AND THE ART OF ROAD BIKE MAINTENANCE. Some libraries may have copies which you can borrow. A lot of information is available online (e.g., www.parktool.com).

BTW. If your bike has downtube shifters (or, equivalent mounted elsewhere on the bike), then you can probably fix the bike's shifters for ZERO cost.

I know it's had work done in the past when let my dad borrow the bike. Presently, I paid $40 for a tune up and then another time I stopped by on my way to work for a quick adjustment because of the problem. The bike mechanic said the front derailleur has a flexing problem and he showed me how it appears to flex when the gears change rather than staying rigid. I guess my first reaction is that I want a more credible repairman to check it out, then see where to go from there. A free fix would be great, but my gut instinct is telling me that, at the least, the front derailleur needs to be fixed. I've actually found an identical replacement for the rear derailleur for free.

The bike does have down the tube shifters and I can cough up $200 if need be, clearly that won't be enough for a major conversion, but perhaps a decent front derailleur, plus installation and adjustment?

While not quite as good as the yet-to-be-realized FREE ENERGY, the free fix involves the minimal amount of dexterity & skill which you probably learned in kindergarten-or-the-first-grade ...

The reason that the rear derailleur is slipping is because the WASHER which is providing the friction is probably worn ...

YOU can cut a new, supplemental washer from the plastic cap from an empty milk jug (or, equivalent) --

• drill, slice or punch a SMALL hole in the middle of the cap ...
  • then, cut away the excess to allow your supplemental washer to nest inside the shifter's recess ... insert ([COLOR= #808080]press over the "boss"[/COLOR]) & stack where the brass-or-plastic washer is located ...
  • re-affix the shift lever & bolt ...
  • tighten bolt, accordingly ...
  • DONE.

SOME older front derailleurs flexed when new ... IMO, the worst (?) culprit was the original Shimano Deore (circa 1983 +/-) which was unacceptable with a Triple crankset ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., it had trouble moving the chain efficiently between a Granny & the Middle chainring[/COLOR]), but acceptable ([COLOR= #808080]barely?!?[/COLOR]) with a Double.

Regardless, I would have to see the front derailleur to know it it was truly dodgy ...

And, if you are going to replace the current front derailleur then my recommendation is to go to eBay and buy a Shimano Ultegra 6500 or 6503 front derailleur + a 9-speed Shimano chain (e.g., HG-53).

FWIW. Although the only original component on the following bike are the two adjusters on the rear dropouts, you could theoretically update your FUJI with less changes but to something functionally equivalent to it ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., specifically, the shifters, derailleurs, chain, & new Freewheel[/COLOR]) for under $200 [COLOR= #0000ff]if you are a wise shopper on eBay[/COLOR]... a little more, if you are less patient.

The first-or-last (!?!) things you may-or-may-not want to acquire are 9-speed Shimano derailleurs ...

• I prefer Ultegra 6503 which are designed for a Triple, but the 6500 front will do for most applications ... about $25+, used in good condition (mechanical & cosmetic) ... less if you are a wise shopper ... the front derailleur may be OPTIONAL with Campagnolo shifters -- I have matched a 6-speed Dura Ace front derailleur with a Campagnolo 10-speed shifter + 9-speed chain.

Using a 9-speed front derailleur will necessitate using a 9-speed Shimano chain (e.g., HG-53) and that will cost about $20 (there are more expensive models) ... this is less of a can-of- worms than it may seem to be ...

I think that a new 7-speed SunRace Freewheel (there are only a two-or-three cog combinations) will be about $20+, new (eBay). The cogs are ramped ... that's a good thing & a change you will want to make if you opt for indexed shifting ...

If you want to opt for indexed shifting, you'll need to change to a more modern rear derailleur ... I recommend either an 8-or-9-speed LX or XT (750) or XTR rear derailleur ... an 8-or-9-speed 105 or Ultegra rear derailleur would be okay, too ... figure on about $30+, used in good condition (mechanical & cosmetic).

Finally, a used set of used 10-speed, non-QS Campagnolo shifters in good condition will cost between $100-to-$150 ...

You'll need some new derailleur cables & housing ...

Plus, some downtube cable guides -- allow $2 to $10.

FYI. The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can index with 8-speed, 9-speed, and 10-speed Shimano drivetrains with zero to minimum effort. 7-speed cog spacing is close enough to 8-speed cog spacing so that you should be able to use the 10-speed Campagnolo shifters with the 7-speed SunRace Freewheel.

BTW. I changed the rear spacing on the Peugeot from 126mm to 130mm for the sake of continuity with my other bikes.