Full pro uniform

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
What do you guys think of people/cyclist wearing a full cycling uniform (top,bottom, and cycling cap - and the bike)? I feel unworthy of it since I am not that strong of a rider but would look nice :D Just curious. Thanks

Personally, I don't care what other people want to wear. I wouldn't do the full team kit myself though. Maybe just the jersey, but thats just me....

Put me down for the jersey with plain black shorts/bibs. I would never say anything about someone wearing the full kit, its just not for me.

jordon198 said:
I would never say anything about someone wearing the full kit, its just not for me.
The exception being a jersey from one team and shorts from another.

I don't have a problem with the full kit, but when you ride the team replica bike as well you are getting into full blown wacko land! I have had the fortune of aquiring some stuff from some pros and most of it is jerseys or jackets or gloves, but I just got a domestic riders bibs and jersey and the bibs are sweet, so i will have no problem wearing the full kit!

I don't really have any thoughts on cyclists wearing pro kits. The way I see it, it is the same thing as going down to the court to shoot some hoops and seeing someone wearing an NBA jersey of their favorite player, no big deal.

Personally, I don't wear any pro jerseys but that is just sort of consistent with my general style. I usually always wear subtle cothes with no logos, on or off the bike.

tvanhuisen said:
Personally, I don't wear any pro jerseys but that is just sort of consistent with my general style. I usually always wear subtle cothes with no logos, on or off the bike.

My son gave me a US Postal jersey for my last birthday. I've felt a little funny about wearing it, but I'm going to now that it's gotten warmer. I realized that it was a foolish reaction not to wear it. We live in a land full of people -- kids and adults alike -- wearing football jerseys, basketball shirts and shorts, baseball hats, ice hockey sweaters, and they don't even play the game! Why should I feel awkward about wearing the jersey of a team I admired while riding my bike?

Wear whatever you wish. It would probably help to have at least a moderate cycling ability. You'd look a bit silly pushing a bike up a gentle grade wearing a yellow jersey...

Actually, I have a Fassa Bortolo jersey I rather like, plus the Dos Equis jersey that looks like an icy cold beer. Not that I'm terribly devoted to either team, I just like the way the jerseys look.

I've seen some poeple wearing pro-team outfit and race in Cat5s. I haven't seen anybody wearing pro-team gear in Cat4 and above. Personally I have US Postal and Bianchi jerseys. I hardly wear it after I got my own team jerseys. But I wore my USPS jersey at the Tour de Georgia, even though now they are Discovery Channel. I really don't care what people wear. Sometimes I walk around the mall with my cycling cap on and people think I'm weird, but OH WELL. Would I like to have pro-team outfit and bike? I'd like to have a bike that they use, but I don't think I would wear the whole outfit, just because I'm no good.

Jersey and/or bib? Fine.
Full kit? Dorky.
Burn calories worrying about it? No.

Good feedbacks! I didn't plan on getting a team color bike but it just happen to be the available color only. Actually, I can hang pretty good with a strong group and can pull my weight on a club ride. Over all I guess I can buy the jersey (at least) and decide later on with the shorts. Thanks guys.

as a general rule, the sizing on true euro goods is to fit true euro riders.
if you are below avaerage u.s. size & ht. they are good indeed.
as they get larger, the waist & chest size increases, yes, but not so much the leg and arms.

eortiz said:
What do you guys think of people/cyclist wearing a full cycling uniform (top,bottom, and cycling cap - and the bike)? I feel unworthy of it since I am not that strong of a rider but would look nice :D Just curious. Thanks

just do it. personally i have the full Bianchi kit from a few years back (jersey (long and short) bib, gillet and windproof, but unfortunately not bike) and i'm working toward the complete 2005 T-Mobile version.

i just love the simplicity of the retro look.

Incidentley, expect to pay a hell of a lot more for a team livery bike. i suppose they have to make the money up somewhere.

NEVER, i repeat NEVER mix and match your team kits, makes you look like an idiot.

Also don't buy team kit just for the sake of it. At least support the team your wearing.

good luck

Wear whatever you want! Dress like a Fred or like Cipo, doesn't matter, just get out and ride, and be safe!

JohnO said:
Wear whatever you wish. It would probably help to have at least a moderate cycling ability. You'd look a bit silly pushing a bike up a gentle grade wearing a yellow jersey...
...you'd look even more silly wearing a polka dot jersey... for more than one reason.

Wear whatever you like, but unless you can live up to it leave the attitude behind. Nothing makes me want to totally thrash a guy (yes a guy - I've never seen a girl doing this) more than someone in Euro kit, copping an attitude, going 15mph, but thinking he's going really really fast......

eortiz said:

Wear it all.[/B] The more you do, the more the sponsors will keep putting money into procycling and giving the public the best free sporting entertainment in the world.

jordon198 said:
Put me down for the jersey with plain black shorts/bibs. I would never say anything about someone wearing the full kit, its just not for me.
Exactly. I got a good deal on some pro jersey's so I wear them. My personal "pro kit" is called a farmer's tan (which, BTW, my wife HATES!) :D

If it's jeans and a t-shirt or full ONCE, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.

My wife wears Euskaltel-Euskadi not just because she likes the team (she likes the name) but because you can see her for miles in a bright orange jersey.

I prefer to wear a plain jersey, or one with a humorous picture or logo of something I support. A professional team jersey is just a bit to pretentious for me.