Giant CRX1 vs Giant OCR2

WiseSal

Jul 2, 2004
I am thinking of buying a Giant CRX 1 or an OCR2, however, I am not sure I can cope with the drop bars. (I'm no spring chicken and I'm female.) What I want is a reasonably fast, but versitile bike that can handle, light touring (lots of km without heavy panniers) and the odd unsealed road. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice? My LBS had a Giant CRX3 in stock and I am dissapointed at how heavy it is. I'm hoping the CRX 1 is lighter as it has carbon forks. Does that make much of a difference or is it a lot of money to pay for only a minimum advantage?

As no-one replied to my post, I had to wing it and decided on the CRX1. I've had her for nearly 1 whole week and she is wonderful. :D Her name is Jet (Black), she is light and versitile and I feel very comfortable on her. I've already climbed the infamous Catherine Hill with no problems and plan to tackle Nepean and Avon Dams in the near future.
For those of you who are looking for a great day out on your bikes, consider coming to Bargo. SW of Sydney on the M5, we have quiet country roads, a coffee shop, budget accomodation and for the nature lover, the Dingo Sanctuary and Wirrimbirra, a flora and fauna reserve. A terrific family weekend 20 minutes from Campbelltown. Pay us a visit.

Well done on the CRX, lorts of my friends, some over 50, some female, have flat bar road bikes. Had you posted in the Australian Forum you would have been deluged with flat bar replys. I had 2 intil ths morning when I sold one...

Please, if you are looking for a good racer then take time to consider parts like hubs, gear and wheels. I see on this years model all OCR contain a bad and cheap gear-set called sora. I´ve had bad experience from that and its similar tiagra. My suggestion is instead look for a TCR. I see you can choose from shimano DUR-Ace( a very expensive equipment), shimano ultegra (good equipment) and with different kind of campagnolo. I promise you will not regret spending 200 box to buy good racing-gear if you are planning riding bicykle for more than a year on this bike.
You´ll see more information about these on http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030.000.000/030.010.000.asp?year=2005&model=10104

Looking for a bike-reatiler in Gothenburg Sweden? Try this http://www.drivrutiner.net/eng/pedalkraft.html

Thank you for replying to my post. I bought a Giant CRX1 (flat bar road bike) as I have no interest in racing. My bike is light, versitile and reaonably fast. I ride for the sheer joy of riding and being fit. This bike is perfect for me and I have a lot of fun on it. I can take it both on sealed and unsealed roads, (we have plenty of unsealed roads in Australia), keep up with my roadie friends, and in fact, get to the top of most hills well in front. As a recreational bike, the Giant CRX range is terrific, particularly if you are on a budget.

WiseSal said:
Thank you for replying to my post. I bought a Giant CRX1 (flat bar road bike) as I have no interest in racing. My bike is light, versitile and reaonably fast. I ride for the sheer joy of riding and being fit. This bike is perfect for me and I have a lot of fun on it. I can take it both on sealed and unsealed roads, (we have plenty of unsealed roads in Australia), keep up with my roadie friends, and in fact, get to the top of most hills well in front. As a recreational bike, the Giant CRX range is terrific, particularly if you are on a budget.
i too am looking at the 06 CRX 1

how has your bike been since... now that is has been a year...

Has it been that long? How time flies when you're having FUN. The bike is great, no problems, not even a flat tyre. As far as I'm concerned the bike is a perfect choice for me. My LBS is selling them like hot cakes, he says he can't keep up with the demand. The 2006 CRX range has hit the bike shops and apparently the gears on the CRX1 are upgraded from tiagra to ultegra and the bike probably has more carbon. Better be quick or the 2007 range will be out!
Happy Cycling.

WiseSal said:
As no-one replied to my post, I had to wing it and decided on the CRX1. I've had her for nearly 1 whole week and she is wonderful. :D Her name is Jet (Black), she is light and versitile and I feel very comfortable on her. I've already climbed the infamous Catherine Hill with no problems and plan to tackle Nepean and Avon Dams in the near future.
For those of you who are looking for a great day out on your bikes, consider coming to Bargo. SW of Sydney on the M5, we have quiet country roads, a coffee shop, budget accomodation and for the nature lover, the Dingo Sanctuary and Wirrimbirra, a flora and fauna reserve. A terrific family weekend 20 minutes from Campbelltown. Pay us a visit.

Good for you!

If you decide you need to find some new hand positions, see my Antler Bar thread:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=126786

WiseSal said:
Has it been that long? How time flies when you're having FUN. The bike is great, no problems, not even a flat tyre. As far as I'm concerned the bike is a perfect choice for me. My LBS is selling them like hot cakes, he says he can't keep up with the demand. The 2006 CRX range has hit the bike shops and apparently the gears on the CRX1 are upgraded from tiagra to ultegra and the bike probably has more carbon. Better be quick or the 2007 range will be out!
Happy Cycling.
:)

i got the 2006 CRX1 today

yes it has ultegra, carbon fork, carbon post...

and... yes, i got it from Kerry @ Phantom

Very happy boy!

Just saw your post and am new here but wanted to comment on your choice of bikes.

I ride the OCR2 Carbon and it is wonderful on a good paved road but not worth a hoot off the sealed paved roads. Tires narrow and hard slick so just not any good for unsealed roads!

Having said that, I will add that on my 55 year old out of the saddle for last 5 year poor physical shape the OCR has been very forgiving! Fast, good on hills and carbon frame soaks up lots of road vibration so I haven't even been to tender butted since starting back riding again.

Thats my 2 cents and congrats on going for it with out waiting for others to make your discisions for you. (look at all the great rides you would have missed out on) and on your choice of bike turned out to be right on! ;)

I've had CRX1 for a couple of weeks, here in Perth, still can't bring myself to ride it when it's raining. I am having some problems with the gears, higest gear skips a bit under heavy loading. Been back to the shop but still has same problem will take it back over the weekend for them to look at it.

Once this small problem is sorted I will be very happy with the bike. The moment I got on it it just felt nice!

Nick

I have had my CRX1 a little over a year now and it is still perfect! It has 3 big chain rings and rear cassette Shimano 105 9 speed. I have never had a problem changing. At Christmas time my husband bought himself the CRX2. It seems that 3 big chain rings are going out of favour, and this bike has 2 on the front and Tiagra 9 speed on the back. However, he has had more trouble with his bike in 6 months than I have had in 15 months. He too, had trouble in high gear and a few other minor teething problems. It seems to be sorted now. Maybe, because these bikes are a relatively new concept, there are some problems in combining Mtn bike style changing mechanism with road bike gearing which have not been completely sorted yet. Who knows, I'm no bike mechanic. Anyway, keep pestering your bike shop till you are happy with your bike.
What do you mean ride in the rain? I live in the catchment area for Sydney and we have not had decent rain for years! Although I must admit our June BUG ride was rained-out. Not much in it for the dams though. :(

Yep I will persist with getting it right. I seems to jump up a gear when I crank hard at low speed.

Rain here is also a problem, but for now the weather is just magic for the new bike.

Nick

I ride the OCR2 Carbon and it is wonderful on a good paved road but not worth a hoot off the sealed paved roads.
What kind of equipment do you've got on this one?
Is it the old sora-gear or is it some better?

Nope it the 06 version ultegra, SRAM R9 9 speed 12-23T, Is there a wonder fix?

Nick

No, I think you can be satisfied with that gear. Hope it's the same on hubs, breaks and the rest. I hear ultegra is quite a good equipment. Please give us some pictures on your trips at http://www.citygbg.se/forum/

We want more people to travel with the bike.

I've had my 2006 CRX1 for about a year; what a great bike! I did have a problem at first with the Truvativ Elite compact crank, it started creaking and then went loose, ie, you could move it laterally. The bike shop got a replacement which was also an upgrade to the Rouleur, not had a problem with it since. I had the Utlegra 12-27 cassette from the start, great for getting up the hills! and not had a problem changing gear. I swapped the Easton stem for a BBB High Rise (35 degrees). I use it nearly every day to commute and weekends too and estimate it's done about 4000-5000 k's. I've had Conti gator skins on which were great for puncture resistance but now have Conti GP 4000 700-23, BRILLIANT! I love riding this bike and I'll be sixty next year but still manage to "burn-off" some of the young-uns on it!

I swapped the Easton stem for a BBB High Rise (35 degrees).
Do you mean a hill that is 35 degrees? In that case you'll have to use some extreem equipment. I now I am able to climb 18% hills, that will say ca 16 degrees climbing.
In the club I've been cykling with we had quite a large number of people older than 60 and they had a great time going out on large ridings round Gothenburg. Sometimes up to 200km. I think they are more fit than most youngsters and they also give us more advnced bikers a hard match.
Keep going on. I think you don't have to regert keeoing in fit even if you are nearly hundred years old.

driv said:
Do you mean a hill that is 35 degrees? In that case you'll have to use some extreem equipment. I now I am able to climb 18% hills, that will say ca 16 degrees climbing.
35 degree hill, I WISH!:)
There's a picture of the High Rise stem at the bottom of this page:
http://www.bbbparts.com/products/bike_parts/stems/touring/bhs30.htm
I also have bar ends on that are set nearly horizontal, this allows me to get down a bit lower when I need to go faster, which is most of the time!:D

There's a picture of one of the hills I've climbed in Hobart on this web site:
http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/camera.htm:eek:
Actually, it's Mount Wellington...

35 degree hill, I WISH!:)
There's a picture of the High Rise stem at the bottom of this page:
O.K, sorry. I misunderstood your explanation or line.
Nice with webcam, the only problem is that it is dark when I look at it now. I'll guess the mountain is somewhere "down under".
If that is the case I believe you've got a wonderful season the next couple of months.
Wish you more happy miles on the bike.
A lot of greetings from sweden.