Giant OCR Touring

SchullieRinger

Jun 23, 2004
I haven't found much about this bike as far as reviews go. Anyone have any opinions of this bike for touring? I'm looking for something to use both for commuting and touring. I think the bike would be great for commuting, but since I have not toured yet I am inexperienced in that area.

It has an aluminum frame which concerns me, but is supposed to be built for touring. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

SchullieRinger said:
I haven't found much about this bike as far as reviews go. Anyone have any opinions of this bike for touring? I'm looking for something to use both for commuting and touring. I think the bike would be great for commuting, but since I have not toured yet I am inexperienced in that area.

It has an aluminum frame which concerns me, but is supposed to be built for touring. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.
I would also love to hear from people who have this bike. I am considering buying a touring bike, and this is the best I've found for the price so far. But I can't find any reviews and so am hesitant to order one. Please post with your experinces if you have this bike!
Thanks!

I bought one, and so far it's been great. Only drawback I've had so far is the tires they spec'd on this bike. the compound is too soft, I flatted 3 times in 3 weeks. I put tire liners in, but will swap to a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus before I head out on my tour this fall. I was worried about the racks not fitting due to the disc brakes, but that wasn't a problem.

Hi there! I am a college-kid without a ton of money (translation: none), and am fed-up with riding around on a too-small Specialized Hard Rock MTB. This summer, I rode from zip 10598 (www.maps.yahoo.com) to Montauk Point, NY (saw the OCEAN!) and Oneonta, NY. I am ready to move to a real touring machine.
I have heavily researched different touring bikes, and have narrowed my choices down to the Giant OCR Touring with disc brakes (aluminum), and the Trek 520 (steel). The price range is about the same, and I could probably get either one. I am stuck on two key points- 1. Aluminum vs. Steel, and 2. Disc Brakes or no disc brakes. I have read up on the many, many reviews on the Trek 520, and it seems to have done very well, and the "flexy properties of steel" seem to be good for long hauls. But I like the idea of disc brakes on the OCR Touring, and the aluminum seems lighter. Then again, the steel seems like it is a tank, and I want this baby to last.......

If anybody at all can help me, that would be awesome! Please let me know.

~Bry :confused:

Speaking from experience with the Giant, it is worth it to have disc brakes on a touring bike, especially in wet weather. As for the OCR being lighter due to the Aluminum frame, not hardly, this is a touring bike and built to haul you and your gear, it's not any lighter. Personally I didn't feel this bikes ride is more harsh than the 520 that I tested. It has 700X32 tires that soak up a lot of the roads smaller bumps. I rode mine from Birmingham, AL to Chicago Il. last Aug. and it never let me down. Of course this is all my opinion, you will need to throw a leg over each and decide which feels better to you.

Jody

SchullieRinger said:

Thanks.

Reviews at URL:

<http://www.roadbikereview.com/2003%2CRoad%2CBike/Giant%20Bicycle%20Inc./PRD_138776_4338crx.aspx#reviews>

It looks like you should check which rack configurations you will use before you buy the bicycle. If Old Man Mountain racks work, they are reasonable quality.
It also sounds like there were disc caliper pad issues that should be resolved with replacements from the dealer.
I would want lower gearing for loaded touring. I would check into what the dealer would do to swap out the existing crank/bottom bracket/front derailer for the 2005 LX set-up.
Further, I would ask about wheel, tires, seat, etc. upgrades.
The hubs and rims should be fine... but I would check for tension balancing, proper tension, spoke alignment, and stress relieving. I would use 14/15 double butted DT or Sapim spokes.
I am not a fan of STI for loaded touring. I would ask for Shimano bar end shifters instead. You could then get brake levers that meet your ergonomic and functional requirements... and they might also work better with the disc brakes. Since the disc are Avid, I would ask them about the caliper pad issue directly.

I bought an OCR touring bike about 2 months ago and just finished my first bike tour 1,200 kilometre's from Smithers to West Bank, Kelowna. This was a fully loaded tour in British Columbia in the Fall so I was farely heavy and carried more gear than normally might be carried bike touring ie down jacket and pants, winter sleeping bag, four season two person tent etc. Other than five flat tires and a squeaky rear disk break I had no mechanical problems. I did run into some trouble getting a rack to fit on the front forks. The brazeon in much to low to fit almost any rack made and I finally had to get my local bike shop to fabricate a bracket, when I get back home I will send you a picture of the fix if you like. An Axiom rack fit over the rear disk with the assistance of one small spacer. Seeing as how this is my first touring bike I don't have anything to compare it to but overall I have been very happy with the bike. The only changes I will make are new tires and a different saddle (Brooks B-17).

SchullieRinger said:

Thanks.

Hi.
I also would like more info about this bike. F.ex. how is the frame. I think it looks like a more mountain bike frame and would like a more "uprigth racingframe" like one I'w seen on cannondale.
And I also would like to know about more bikes that have both disk-breakes and racing gears (but tre chainrings)

The OCR touring is an interesting bike. It rides very well loaded, and just a little on the harsh side unloaded. The OEM tires are junk, get rid of them immediately. Old Man Mountain makes a front rack that works just fine, and almost any rear rack will work, however you will need to add a spacer by the brake caliper which puts your rack just slightly off line.

The 105 long cage derailleur will handle a 32 tooth rear cassette, which I found was all the gearing adjustment I needed. I believe that the 2005 model had more suitable touring gearing.

The Avid disc brakes are awesome. It does take a little time to learn to adjust the pads, but it's not hard.

The adjustable stem creaks. You may wish to buy a threaded non adjustable stem after you have dialed in your position on the bike.

This bike has been discontinued by Giant, and you would only find a leftover model or a used bike.

I replaced mine with a steel cyclocross bike, which was more adaptable to my riding style.

Jay